• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need a in depth EV training guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2011
    I am so confused with EV training. I have tried and failed and I really don't get what to do once I know my pokemons nature. Please help me!

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    http://serebii.net/games/evs.shtml
    I recommend taking a look at that.

A brief overview.
    1) A pokemon can only obtain 510 EV points.
    2) You obtain these points by battling other pokemon in the game.
    3) Each pokemon you defeat gives you a certain amount EV points.
    Note: to find what the EV values earned are, look in here: http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/001.shtml in the "Effort Values Earned" section.
    4) A pokemon can obtain no more than 255 EVs in any one particular stat.

So, in practice. Look up what pokemon gives certain EV points you want to train in. Go and defeat those pokemon wifh the pokemon you are EV training, and keep track of the points manually to know how many you have put into the pokemon. There are various other ways to speed up this process. But those details are in that link I posted at the top of my post.

Years
  • http://serebii.net/games/evs.shtml
    I recommend taking a look at that.

A brief overview.
    1) A pokemon can only obtain 510 EV points.
    2) You obtain these points by battling other pokemon in the game.
    3) Each pokemon you defeat gives you a certain amount EV points.
    Note: to find what the EV values earned are, look in here: http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/001.shtml in the "Effort Values Earned" section.
    4) A pokemon can obtain no more than 255 EVs in any one particular stat.

So, in practice. Look up what pokemon gives certain EV points you want to train in. Go and defeat those pokemon wifh the pokemon you are EV training, and keep track of the points manually to know how many you have put into the pokemon. There are various other ways to speed up this process. But those details are in that link I posted at the top of my post.
    Moreover, at level 100, every 4 EVs will increase the stat by one point. If you hadn't already noticed, the highest factor of 4 under 255 is 252, so 252 is the highest that will "count" for each stat. A majority of EV spreads will therefore consist of 252/252/4, meaning 252 invested in two different stats and then the remaining 4 invested in another, as 252+252 = 504, which is 6 short of 510, but obviously you can only use 4 of that 6.

As far as getting EVs goes, you get them by fighting another pokemon. Unlike with EXP, if 4 of your pokemon battle the opponent's pokemon, each of them gets the full amount of EVs that would be awarded. You want to tally the EVs, as you can't really keep track of them through the game.

For getting there faster, there are a few things that you can do. The most common is the Macho Brace. Every EV obtained with the Macho Brace counts as 2 EVs, although it temporarily drops your speed while held. The hard-to-get Pokerus status also doubles the EVs as you gain them, but with no side effect.

There are also a series of items that boost the EVs gained for certain stats that you can buy in the Battle Tower, at least in DPPt/HGSS. Power Bracelet, etc.

Lastly, the EVs gained will kick in when you level up. So if you battle 10 Gyarados and then level up, you will see your attack go up more than usual. But they won't kick in if you level them up with a rare candy, but will be saved until the next level up.

Good luck!

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • Oh man, they're absolutely horrible when you're first introduced to them xD

No need for an in depth guide really, the basics will pretty much cover it.

Pokemon can obtain up to 510 EV points - these points will give your Pokemon 510 stat points by the time they've maxed out. In order to obtain EVs, you need to fight a Pokemon based on the stat you want to EV train. If you wanted to train Defence for example, fight a Geodude, as they specialize in defence (there's a guide on Bulbapedia with a list of what each Pokemon specializes in - I'll try to find the link). Each stat can only hold up to 255 EVs, so most people tend to set the EVs as 252, 252, and 6 (for example, 252 attack, 252 defence, and 6 speed).

In HG and SS (not sure about other games), you can get hold of power items, such as a power lens. This will add 4 points to the EVs you get from Pokemon (you can get a different power item for each stat type). If your Pokemon also has Pokerus (even if it has turned into the little smiley face in the corner and seems "dormant" etc), that will double what you get from EVs. If you have Pokerus + a power lens + a Pokemon specializing 2 points in special attack, your Pokemon will get 12 EV points in special attack overall.

Did that make ANY sense at all? xD

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • The internet is littered with EV training guides, including one in our very own Compiled Guides thread. Please do a little searching before making a thread.

*closed*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back