• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FF Type-O esque Roleplay

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    It's simple really. I have an idea for a Roleplay based off Final Fantasy Type 0 and perhaps the entire genre Fabula Nova Crystallis final fantasies.

The basic premise is that they are a group of school children who go missions for the government as an elite unit, often carrying out dangerous tasks behind enemy lines that no regular unit is capable of. When they aren't on missions, they are attending class or enjoying their free time. I think the way I would have it set out is that there'd be "Mission Days" where the characters/players... well... go on the mission. The mission would be outlined and the group would go out to complete it over the next series of posts. Once completed, it'd go into a "free time" where characters/players mingle with one another, go to class etc in more of a sandbox/undirected type of play.

I don't want to flesh out this story in its entirety if not enough people will be interested.

I have the barebones worked out:

Tasmadia )(Taz-muh-d-uh): A tribal nation is largely weary of all outsiders and very based in their traditions. Most of them bear the mantle of a warrior mage. They have the ferocity of the Arentites, with the cunning the Olmites. The magic that they wield is very different from the Olmites, so different that some believe it to come from a different source entirely. They revere their Great One, who is believed by them to have created all live--and it is, they believe, their reverence of him that gives them such strength. They have deep rooted traditions and while they have no central leader, different tribes are led by witch doctors, powerful casters or magicks that can call upon the spirits.

Arentas(Uh-rent-us): Proud military people, Roman like; utilize monsters in combat. Ahead of only Tasmadia in technological advancement, they Arentas are proud warriors who rely on their steely discipline and uncanny ability to bond with monsters to maintain their presence as one of the four major countries. Even the weak are capable of dispatching enemies at a rate of 3 to 1, while the strongest of all is said to have killed 300 Tasmadians before succumbing to the sweet embrace of death. Magic is not common in this country, as it is considered a weakness of spirit; in battle the only magic wielded is that of the monsters they command. They are led by an Emperor, who is stead fast in his rule.

Malynar(Mal-i-nar): Modern civilization, technological based. While magic is possible for those born in Malynar, they don't quite have the affinity of Olmium and Tasmadia, relying on their technological prowess to raise themselves to an even playing field. Whether it is complex weaponry, advanced robotics, or crazy innovation, the end result is the same: their vast array of technology makes them a force to be reckoned with. Before the treaty was signed, they had many skirmshes with Olmium, resulting in technology that can absorb, reflect and nullify magic. The Maylnar are a largely militaristic country, ruled by the brass, the Imperial Marshal himself.

Olmium(Ol-me-um): Magic based civilization; while they have technological advances on par with Malynar, everything runs off and is powered by magic. Very few are actual front line warriors who engage in melee combat, most relying on summons or powerful defensive magic to take the brunt of enemy offensives while they cast magic from the back line. Their magic comes in a variety of offensive and defensive forms, restricted only by the creativity of the mage who slings the spells. Given their conflict with Malynar, a large number of spells were developed that are capable of disabling machinery, which renders many of the Malynar army helpless. Ruled by a council of five, the leadership of this country largely resembles an oligarchy.

Zimcir(Zim-seer): A secretive force who wields a power that is unrecognized as any form of magic or technology. History has no record of them and where they came from or what their exact goals are is largely unknown. The only thing that is for sure is that they are determined to achieve their goal--whatever it is--and they don't care who gets in their way

Academy that combines all 4 of the nations in an effort to create a bond of peace between the warring nations. Said to cultivate some of the worlds best and brightest, the children graduating from this academy are supposed to be the new world leaders, but many can't help but feel they are the pawns in something greater.

The Zimcir utilize some sort of otherworldly strength that is making them difficult to challenge, even with the allied forces of the four united nations. This isn't helped by the fact that none of the nations particularly want to dedicate their forces to a full out assault on the Zimcir for fear out of weakening themselves against an invasion by one their loosely allied states.

Last edited:

Etherion

If the story gets fleshed out, I sense that this would be an awesome RP :)

Years
  • It sounds really interesting, and a little bit like how Dust is playing out. Although Dust is heavily team oriented, so we'll see if this encourages solo posts or joint posts.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I would definitely like to join once it's up! I am also willing to help out if there is any way I can!
    Totally gonna be the cleric.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • I'm personally not familiar with what you listed as inspirations, but these questions are par for the course, regardless:

What kind of missions will players carry out? Who are the enemies and what are their ultimate goals? What is the setting of this role-play's universe and what may we expect from the setting?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    This post does contain spoilers for the game, but it's reasonably the only way I could explain the plot.

Spoiler:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    This post does contain spoilers for the game, but it's reasonably the only way I could explain the plot.

Spoiler:

Ultimately the story would have key points that force the plot onwards, but I'd like the plot to be driven by the players themselves and potentially change based on options they are presented during missions. I.E. save the civilians or stop the enemy forces from destroying an allied batallion.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • This post does contain spoilers for the game, but it's reasonably the only way I could explain the plot.

... I'm going to try to make sense of what you wrote, because as I said, I'm not familiar with your inspirations, and the way you explained it sounded like your role-play is straight up Final Fantasy, or at least gives the impression that you have to know Final Fantasy to join, which personally doesn't garner my interest.

The setting is the span of three different countries with their own terrain and technological development and fantastic monsters.

The missions somehow revolve around... I don't know. Protecting crystals and opening a gate to the afterlife? I don't know. I can't make it out from what you decided to write.

The enemy is someone who... wants to harness the power of souls to force open the gate. I assume. So I'll further assume he'll be a reaper of sorts and the missions are mostly pointed in the direction of stopping this guy making rounds in other countries.

I really don't know.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I need to come back to roleplaying over summer and a FF-style roleplay would be awesome. Although I'd like the opportunity to pick solo missions as well, just because I have found joint posts hard to do in the past :c. A bit of variety could suit everyone.

The School/Missions mix is a good one, I likey.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    ... I'm going to try to make sense of what you wrote, because as I said, I'm not familiar with your inspirations, and the way you explained it sounded like your role-play is straight up Final Fantasy, or at least gives the impression that you have to know Final Fantasy to join, which personally doesn't garner my interest.

The setting is the span of three different countries with their own terrain and technological development and fantastic monsters.

The missions somehow revolve around... I don't know. Protecting crystals and opening a gate to the afterlife? I don't know. I can't make it out from what you decided to write.

The enemy is someone who... wants to harness the power of souls to force open the gate. I assume. So I'll further assume he'll be a reaper of sorts and the missions are mostly pointed in the direction of stopping this guy making rounds in other countries.

I really don't know.
    Sorry, my thoughts were a bit scattered when I wrote that. Either way I see the point you are raising and I think I won't base it so heavily in the FF universe and only draw inspiration from it. Essentially where it is going to stand is that the players are school students who are also a military unit and go on missions. The story of FF I think is too direct to be able to spin my own twists on it in a way that would be enjoyable for the players, so I'll keep that in mind.

I'll be developing a plot later or tonight and posting it, so please--check back in a couple hours and see if it still catches your fancy.

I need to come back to roleplaying over summer and a FF-style roleplay would be awesome. Although I'd like the opportunity to pick solo missions as well, just because I have found joint posts hard to do in the past :c. A bit of variety could suit everyone.

The School/Missions mix is a good one, I likey.

I feel your pain on the whole joint posts thing, I could see where solo missions/tasks arise--but ultimately joint posts are going to have to be a thing.

EDIT:

I have the barebones worked out:

Tasmadia )(Taz-muh-d-uh): A tribal nation is largely weary of all outsiders and very based in their traditions. Most of them bear the mantle of a warrior mage. They have the ferocity of the Arentites, with the cunning the Olmites. The magic that they wield is very different from the Olmites, so different that some believe it to come from a different source entirely. They revere their Great One, who is believed by them to have created all live--and it is, they believe, their reverence of him that gives them such strength. They have deep rooted traditions and while they have no central leader, different tribes are led by witch doctors, powerful casters or magicks that can call upon the spirits.

Arentas(Uh-rent-us): Proud military people, Roman like; utilize monsters in combat. Ahead of only Tasmadia in technological advancement, they Arentas are proud warriors who rely on their steely discipline and uncanny ability to bond with monsters to maintain their presence as one of the four major countries. Even the weak are capable of dispatching enemies at a rate of 3 to 1, while the strongest of all is said to have killed 300 Tasmadians before succumbing to the sweet embrace of death. Magic is not common in this country, as it is considered a weakness of spirit; in battle the only magic wielded is that of the monsters they command. They are led by an Emperor, who is stead fast in his rule.

Malynar(Mal-i-nar): Modern civilization, technological based. While magic is possible for those born in Malynar, they don't quite have the affinity of Olmium and Tasmadia, relying on their technological prowess to raise themselves to an even playing field. Whether it is complex weaponry, advanced robotics, or crazy innovation, the end result is the same: their vast array of technology makes them a force to be reckoned with. Before the treaty was signed, they had many skirmshes with Olmium, resulting in technology that can absorb, reflect and nullify magic. The Maylnar are a largely militaristic country, ruled by the brass, the Imperial Marshal himself.

Olmium(Ol-me-um): Magic based civilization; while they have technological advances on par with Malynar, everything runs off and is powered by magic. Very few are actual front line warriors who engage in melee combat, most relying on summons or powerful defensive magic to take the brunt of enemy offensives while they cast magic from the back line. Their magic comes in a variety of offensive and defensive forms, restricted only by the creativity of the mage who slings the spells. Given their conflict with Malynar, a large number of spells were developed that are capable of disabling machinery, which renders many of the Malynar army helpless. Ruled by a council of five, the leadership of this country largely resembles an oligarchy.

Zimcir(Zim-seer): A secretive force who wields a power that is unrecognized as any form of magic or technology. History has no record of them and where they came from or what their exact goals are is largely unknown. The only thing that is for sure is that they are determined to achieve their goal--whatever it is--and they don't care who gets in their way

Academy that combines all 4 of the nations in an effort to create a bond of peace between the warring nations. Said to cultivate some of the worlds best and brightest, the children graduating from this academy are supposed to be the new world leaders, but many can't help but feel they are the pawns in something greater.

The Zimcir utilize some sort of otherworldly strength that is making them difficult to challenge, even with the allied forces of the four united nations. This isn't helped by the fact that none of the nations particularly want to dedicate their forces to a full out assault on the Zimcir for fear out of weakening themselves against an invasion by one their loosely allied states.

Last edited:

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    Years
  • Wow, this is very ambitious. I'm still in the midst of FFT0 myself so I won't open your spoiler tag, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Very much so.

I'm curious though, what kind of activities do you imagine happening in free time? Would the gameplay be somewhat similar to Pokemon Trainer Academy? In the game it's always been a pacing mechanic because the missions are super intense, but I don't really think that's necessary for an RP since the pace will be decidedly slower. If anything, it's likely to create a lull in the RP's momentum that makes it vulnerable to dying; and keeping the transition between mission arcs and the free time days seamless might be challenging.

Just something to think about.

Back