• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Type Changes

Pokémon Trainer Marnie

Dark Type Trainer
Years
I was looking through some pokémon in my boxes on Sword and decided to view their summary for abit of fun reading and i came across Grappleoct, it's typing is only fighting and i would have thought it would be hybrid water and fighting type?

Anyone else feel like some pokémon need a type change to better suit them or fit them in properly?

Years
Lol, here I thought Grapoloct was also water. The more you know.

I'd add water typing to Reuniclus, I mean the guy is literally floating in water.

Years
I was looking through some pokémon in my boxes on Sword and decided to view their summary for abit of fun reading and i came across Grappleoct, it's typing is only fighting and i would have thought it would be hybrid water and fighting type?

Anyone else feel like some pokémon need a type change to better suit them or fit them in properly?

Yea a lot of people want it to be Fighting/Water.
And it makes sense since you can find it swimming in the water.
On that note, Eiscue can be found in the water too in Crown tundra and yet is pure Ice type...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I disagree. A Pokemon can live near the water without being water type. Like Stunfisk in gen V, for example. Grappoloct doesn't even learn any water type moves through level up except Octazooka, anyway, so I just don't agree.

Tbh, there aren't any Pokemon in gen VIII that I feel need to be retyped, they all are perfectly fine the way they are for me. Wouldn't change anything. Although, maybe I'd make the Hattenna line become part fairy when Hattenna evolves into Hattrem, but that's it. I understand why she is only fairy in the final stage, so it doesn't really matter.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Add Grapploct to the list of Pokémon that look like they should have been Water type but they're not.

Lugia, the "Diving" Pokémon, guardian of the seas.
The Lileep and Anorith lines
The 'electric fish' Tynamo line
Stunfisk, allways shown as in the water yet the thing is actually weak to Water.
Pincurchin, the 'sea urchin'

Either Game Freak logic, or it was just to tone down the Water type overpopulation.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I always use Dhelmise as my example. It's Grass/Ghost… but no one would bat an eye were it Steel/Water.

Back