• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Charizard Y centered team

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    So I built a team centered around Mega Charizard Y, and I need your help to improve the team.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Flamethrower
    - Solar Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Roost

Charizard is my main damage dealer in the team, supported a lot by the rest of the team so he can do his job.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Earthquake

Tyranitar's main job is to Pursuit trap Psychic types and keep Toxapex safe, while being Specially bulky enough to wall and deal some damages.

Dugtrio @ Groundium Z
    Ability: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Screech
    - Substitute
    - Stealth Rock

Dugtrio is also here to trap and murder Charizard Y's best checks like Toxapex and Chansey.

Mew @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Defog

Mew is my bulky Defoger that carries Ice Beam to hit Zygarde and Landorus-T.

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Haze
    - Recover
    - Toxic Spikes

My wall and status spreader to help Charizard take enemies down.

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 44 Def / 252 SpA / 44 SpD / 168 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Autotomize
    - Air Slash
    - Fire Blast
    - Giga Drain

Bulky setup sweeper that immune to Ground moves.

Some problems I spotted:
    1. Right now I let Dugtrio take the Stealth Rock setter role, but I need better Stealth Rock setter, should I let Mew or Tyranitar (which is banded) do it? Or should I replace Celesteela with Skarmory?
    2. Electric weakness. Charizard, Toxapex and Celesteela weak to Electric, and it's too risky to predict and switch Dugtrio in. And Tyranitar hate Rotom-W. Yeah, this team hate Rotom-W.

Help appreciated, thanks! :)

Years
  • Looking at your team, I feel like Tyranitar seems like the least necessary pokemon on the team. Because of this, I'd suggest running a fat stealth rock ground type like a mixed defensive Hippodown over Tyranitar to counter electrics. Without rocks, duggy can run reversal to beat ttar easier while keeping groundium for opposing toxapexes. Charziard can run HP ice to beat zygarde easier, however with mew I feel like you could run HP electric to hit mantines, which seems to bother the team. Lastly, I feel a defensive Celesteela would work better over your offensive one, as with a fatter spread you can have really good defensive synergy with pex + cele. Cool team though!
    Version with my changes here.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Looking at your team, I feel like Tyranitar seems like the least necessary pokemon on the team. Because of this, I'd suggest running a fat stealth rock ground type like a mixed defensive Hippodown over Tyranitar to counter electrics. Without rocks, duggy can run reversal to beat ttar easier while keeping groundium for opposing toxapexes. Charziard can run HP ice to beat zygarde easier, however with mew I feel like you could run HP electric to hit mantines, which seems to bother the team. Lastly, I feel a defensive Celesteela would work better over your offensive one, as with a fatter spread you can have really good defensive synergy with pex + cele. Cool team though!
    Version with my changes here.

Tyranitar is very important in Charizard Y teams because it can Pursuit trap problematic Pokemon for Charizard like the Latis. It can also hit Chansey hard with Banded Stone Edges.

Years
  • Tyranitar is very important in Charizard Y teams because it can Pursuit trap problematic Pokemon for Charizard like the Latis. It can also hit Chansey hard with Banded Stone Edges.
    Maybe in ORAS Ttar was a good partner to beat latis, but in SM with threats like toxapex and many latis opting to not run roost, Ttar is less needed. If there were 7 Pokemon teams I'd keep ttar, but I feel the other pokemon pull their weight more and do more than just beating 2 pokemon, one of which is UU.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Thank you for all the helps, really appreciate it.

After playing some more games I noticed that Rotom-W is not played a lot in the current meta, and my biggest problems are Tapu Koko and Greninja.

And yeah, after some games I noticed that in the current meta Tyranitar is not doing a lot of work for the team, beside trapping Latios (which I rarely encounter), Lele is part Fairy and learn Moonblast, Alakazam can just Focus Blast. And the fact that both he and Dugtrio can't really deal with the team problems (Koko with Dazzling Gleam, Greninja, Rotom-W), I opted to change Tyranitar with defensive Stealth Rock setter Chansey and let Dugtrio bring Toxic instead of Stealth Rock to wear down Pokemon like Tangrowth and Landorus-T.

Spoiler:

Right now I feel like the team is finally balanced, Koko and Greninja are no longer problematic, but the team feels too defensive (Chansey is too passive) and lack physical attacker now..

Thank you for the helps. I think I will try that Hippowdon and Reversal on Dugtrio changes first.

Sirfetch’d

If Chansey feels too passive, you could always try something like Clefable. You could run an offensive/defensive Rocks set, a Knock Off utility set, or a Life Orb sweeping set. It doesn't really stack weaknesses with your current team and is generally always useful.

Back