• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Red's alternate team

withheld

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
If Red was not the one from Yellow (which means no '3 starters' concept),
but the one from the first two pokemon games, what do you think his
team would be? Here is my view (in no specific order)...

1. Lapras (took it from Silph worker)...
-Attacks: Surf, Ice beam, Body Slam, Confuse Ray

2. Snorlax (oughts to have caught at least one of the two)...
-Attacks: Rest, Belly Drum, Strength, Rollout

3. Dugtrio (when you meet it at Diglett cave, it's pretty badass, so
why not)...
-Attacks: Earthquake, Slash, Fissure, Sand Attack

4. Pikachu (Gen1's most iconic pokemon)...
-Attacks: Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Thunder Wave, Double Team

5. Eevee (got it at Celadon building; since he already has one water
and one electric pokemon, it's evolved into Flareon)...
-Attacks: Flamethrower, Bite, Mud Slap, Swift

6. Venusaur (since he already has one water and one fire,
Bulbasaur is the starter for team balance)...
-Attacks: Giga Drain, Synthesis, Sweet Scent, Headbutt

Last edited:

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
6.gif

Charizard since he is Red and the Mascot for Pokemon Red Version is Charizard. Also, it's his starter in Origins and that is the official anime based explicitly off of the game's story so.........yeah. It would have: Flamethrower, Fly, Dragonbreath, and Iron Tail.

131.gif

Lapras from the Silph Co. employee. It would have: Surf, Ice Beam, Dream Eater, and Sing.

135.gif

Jolteon because he gets a free Eevee in Celadon City and again, I refer to Pokemon Origins. I know that the iconic Electric Type in Pokemon is Pikachu, but outside of Yellow Version (which is based off of the Ash anime), we have to actively look for Pikachu to get one and only have like a 1% chance of finding one at the earliest possible opportunity. It would have: Thunderbolt, Double Kick, Double Team, and Thunder Wave.

106.gif

Hitmonlee is one of the prizes for beating Saffron's Fighting Dojo and it's Red's choice in Origins. It would have: Hi Jump Kick, Mega Kick, Meditate, and Detect.

143.gif

Snorlax because it's ridiculously powerful and easy to encounter (you have to encounter it to progress the story so why not catch it). It would have: Body Slam, Earthquake, Belly Drum, and Rest.

150.gif

Mewtwo because it was the most powerful Pokemon at the time (arguably still is) and since Red was supposed to be the final boss, it makes sense for him to have it on his team. Besides, why not give him a chance to use the Pokemon we only got to catch at the original game's finale. It would have: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Swift, and Recover.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think Red should have Mewtwo, I mean, yeah, it IS the final boss but I think adding Mewtwo into that crazy mix might be a bit too overwhelming for anyone facing him lol

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I don't think Red should have Mewtwo, I mean, yeah, it IS the final boss but I think adding Mewtwo into that crazy mix might be a bit too overwhelming for anyone facing him lol

Good point. While I still think that this should be his final Pokemon if Pokemon was real and Red was a real Trainer, I'm supposed to be constructing a team for game purposes.

Given the situation, I'll make his final Pokemon this guy:

105.gif

Marowak because Red goes back and adopts the Baby Cubone from Lavender Town. It would hold a Thick Cub and have: Bonemarang, Headbutt, Fire Punch, and Ice Punch.

So Red's final team is:

6.gif

Charizard since he is Red and the Mascot for Pokemon Red Version is Charizard. Also, it's his starter in Origins and that is the official anime based explicitly off of the game's story so.........yeah. It would have: Flamethrower, Fly, Dragonbreath, and Iron Tail.

131.gif

Lapras from the Silph Co. employee. It would have: Surf, Ice Beam, Dream Eater, and Sing.

135.gif

Jolteon because he gets a free Eevee in Celadon City and again, I refer to Pokemon Origins. I know that the iconic Electric Type in Pokemon is Pikachu, but outside of Yellow Version (which is based off of the Ash anime), we have to actively look for Pikachu to get one and only have like a 1% chance of finding one at the earliest possible opportunity. It would have: Thunderbolt, Double Kick, Double Team, and Thunder Wave.

106.gif

Hitmonlee is one of the prizes for beating Saffron's Fighting Dojo and it's Red's choice in Origins. It would have: Hi Jump Kick, Mega Kick, Meditate, and Detect.

143.gif

Snorlax because it's ridiculously powerful and easy to encounter (you have to encounter it to progress the story so why not catch it). It would have: Body Slam, Shadow Ball, Belly Drum, and Rest.

105.gif

For the reasons previously stated.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
This is quite a tough one! Without the starters I think he'd definitely still go for the classic Snorlax/Lapras/Pikachu combo, but after that it does get a fair bit harder. I feel like he'd have been likely to have picked up an Eevee along the way which most likely would turn into whatever your starter is weak against, and I imagine he's probably going to have gone for something rare and interesting like an Aerodactyl. For the last slot I can definitely agree with the above posts that a Hitmonlee/chan is appropriate, but I'm also liking the idea of Gengar given the good coverage it'd provide and that it's a very classically strong Kanto-mon which would also require a great trainer to tame it. So I'm thinking...

Raichu/Snorlax/Lapras/Eeveelution/Aerodactyl/Gengar

Back