• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Small square japanese cards 1997

Years
  • Age 60
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
I have a bunch of small square pokemon cards [or stickers?] from 1997 and I cant find any info on them. All Japanese writing on the fronts except the pictures and numbers, and all Japanese on the backs except for writing at the bottom. on the back they say...

Nintendo-Creatures gamefreak-tv Tokyo
SHO-PRO-JR Kikaru 1997 Made in japan

My daughter and I love collecting Pokémon cards, just a little puzzled by these cards.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
1795471_548158351963826_818717338_n.jpg

1510487_548158325297162_308228507_n.jpg

Years
I've very little idea what they are after extensively searching Google for them. All I can confirm is that they're probably the real deal. That does look like Ken Sugimori's official art. Sorry for not being of much use. Probably would need to be able to speak or read Japanese to get any more information than that. Not exactly the most common thing to come across in the English-speaking side of the Pokemon fanbase, so there is very little on this in any reputable Pokemon information databases.

Years
  • Age 60
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
Thank you for the reply. I have prob. 75 or 100 of these small square cards and cannot find any information anywhere. Is there anyone on the forum or anyone in the know that can maybe get a message to one of the original creators of Pokemon? I really appreciate any and all help with these.

Years
Thank you for the reply. I have prob. 75 or 100 of these small square cards and cannot find any information anywhere. Is there anyone on the forum or anyone in the know that can maybe get a message to one of the original creators of Pokemon? I really appreciate any and all help with these.

I have basically the same methods of communication with them as you (Contact Us form on the Pokemon website), since I have no familiarity with Japanese at all. :( Though I doubt that the creators themselves aside from maybe Ken Sugimori (since that is his artwork) had much hand in these cards. These were probably created largely independent of the team behind the original games other than having their approval/endorsement to be created. Shogakukan was probably the primary company behind the production of these cards.

Back