• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is using Mew THAT wrong?

<Nico>

That Guy Over There
Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2007
    I have a legit mew, and I've gone through hell to raise him perfectly, I relaly love him (eew.. that sounds bad)..

But most people it consider it so awfully uber that they don't want to fight a team featuring him..

Why?
    Ok so he can learn every move.. so what? Does that make him as strong as the other ubers? Every pokemon depends on his moveset, the same thing applies for mew! Just because he can learn all the mvoes doesn't make him that much stronger because there's only a handfull of moves that are actually good for him in the first place!

His stats are those of celebi and jirachi which are legendarie but very far from uber..

So my baseline question is.. is it that wrong to use mew? Will everyone hate me for having one on my team? I've grown affection to him.. I don't watn to switch him to some alakazam or lucario..

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I love my Mew too and it was my first EV trained pokemon but sadly, a lot of people think it's unfair because his moveset is unpredictable and thus, hard to counter unless you know what you're up against. Just battle it with someone who uses legendaries too or a friend or someone that isn't a scared wussy. :P

<Nico>

That Guy Over There
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2007
    I love my Mew too and it was my first EV trained pokemon but sadly, a lot of people think it's unfair because his moveset is unpredictable and thus, hard to counter unless you know what you're up against. Just battle it with someone who uses legendaries too or a friend or someone that isn't a scared wussy. :P

I know what you mean but that's just sad.. I mean come on!
    Every pokemon is unpredictable! It's not that all the alakzam's are the same! Dragonite has better stats than mew and he's not banned! And his moveset is just as unpredicatble, it could be noobish or could be a perfect moveset!

And mew isn't that unpredicatble, there's like 3 or 4 different move sets everyone usses and that's it.. and his type is always the same! I just don't get it..
    You gotta be a wussy to not play against one!

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I never truly understood why Mew is an uber... it has the exact same base stats as Jirachi, who isn't an uber. People say that it's his insane movepool, but I don't follow that. Most movesets for any kind of Poke (sweeper or wall) are nearly set in stone, so it couldn't be THAT hard to take him on. For example, you wouldn't see Focus Punch on a Modest or Timid special sweeping Mew, so Blissey walls him completely. It'd just take a few turns to find out what kind of Mew you're up against, since he can be virtually anything.

<Nico>

That Guy Over There
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2007
    I never truly understood why Mew is an uber... it has the exact same base stats as Jirachi, who isn't an uber. People say that it's his insane movepool, but I don't follow that. Most movesets for any kind of Poke (sweeper or wall) are nearly set in stone, so it couldn't be THAT hard to take him on. For example, you wouldn't see Focus Punch on a Modest or Timid special sweeping Mew, so Blissey walls him completely. It'd just take a few turns to find out what kind of Mew you're up against, since he can be virtually anything.

EXACTLY!
    You see that's what I'm meaning! Movesets are set in stone! And this is valid for all pokemon! Any pokemon can be pretty much anything (you have to take noob factor in account)!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I know what you mean but that's just sad.. I mean come on!
    Every pokemon is unpredictable! It's not that all the alakzam's are the same! Dragonite has better stats than mew and he's not banned! And his moveset is just as unpredicatble, it could be noobish or could be a perfect moveset!

And mew isn't that unpredicatble, there's like 3 or 4 different move sets everyone usses and that's it.. and his type is always the same! I just don't get it..
    You gotta be a wussy to not play against one!

Well, no since there are way more combinations than that... He can learn like 120 moves or something. :O Alakazam's are always special sweepers w/ Psychic/ShadowBall/EnergyBall/blah and are frail so you can always be sure to switch out something Dark or strong and could Crunch it or something. Dragonite's usually go as phy/spec or mixed sweepers... But an ice beam kills it. Mew can be any kind of sweeper and could be a good annoyer (Hypnosis if XD and all that) or a tank or anything, the possibilities are endless and it can't always be killed with one for sure way. And mine is pretty different from what other's use and that's how I knock out a good few pokemon with it. 8P

I never truly understood why Mew is an uber... it has the exact same base stats as Jirachi, who isn't an uber. People say that it's his insane movepool, but I don't follow that. Most movesets for any kind of Poke (sweeper or wall) are nearly set in stone, so it couldn't be THAT hard to take him on. For example, you wouldn't see Focus Punch on a Modest or Timid special sweeping Mew, so Blissey walls him completely. It'd just take a few turns to find out what kind of Mew you're up against, since he can be virtually anything.

Yeah, I'll say it again; Mew can knock out some pokemon before the opponent figures out what he's up against if he makes the wrong moves and switches out to something bad that can't absorb up hits long enough to see what the Mew is like. I don't think he's an uber since if you're pokemon is higher than 100 offense/speed like some pokemon that are not even close to being thought of as uber, you can counter Mew easily. Garchomp's a speedy beast but no one cares since he's not a "legendary." D: People just complain about it since it's so cute and stars in more movies than Jirachi. XD *shot*

Well, you'll have to go into uber rules to battle with it still I'm afraid... Opinions don't change overnight. D:

<Nico>

That Guy Over There
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2007
    I gues you have a point there.. but it's still pretty sad..

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I never truly understood why Mew is an uber... it has the exact same base stats as Jirachi, who isn't an uber. People say that it's his insane movepool, but I don't follow that. Most movesets for any kind of Poke (sweeper or wall) are nearly set in stone, so it couldn't be THAT hard to take him on. For example, you wouldn't see Focus Punch on a Modest or Timid special sweeping Mew, so Blissey walls him completely. It'd just take a few turns to find out what kind of Mew you're up against, since he can be virtually anything.
    EXACTLY!
    You see that's what I'm meaning! Movesets are set in stone! And this is valid for all pokemon! Any pokemon can be pretty much anything (you have to take noob factor in account)!
    I agree. This is why I hate the tier system. It's too inflexible. When I battle I never use the stupid tier system. It's useless. It's full of senseless classifications such as mew being an uber. It may have a good move pool, but it's severely limited by the fact it cannot breed and that's how you get non TM/HM/Learned Moves moves on a Pokemon.
    Well, no since there are way more combinations than that... He can learn like 120 moves or something. :O Alakazam's are always special sweepers w/ Psychic/ShadowBall/EnergyBall/blah and are frail so you can always be sure to switch out something Dark or strong and could Crunch it or something. Dragonite's usually go as phy/spec or mixed sweepers... But an ice beam kills it. Mew can be any kind of sweeper and could be a good annoyer (Hypnosis if XD and all that) or a tank or anything, the possibilities are endless and it can't always be killed with one for sure way. And mine is pretty different from what other's use and that's how I knock out a good few pokemon with it. 8P

Yeah, I'll say it again; Mew can knock out some pokemon before the opponent figures out what he's up against if he makes the wrong moves and switches out to something bad that can't absorb up hits long enough to see what the Mew is like. I don't think he's an uber since if you're pokemon is higher than 100 offense/speed like some pokemon that are not even close to being thought of as uber, you can counter Mew easily. Garchomp's a speedy beast but no one cares since he's not a "legendary." D: People just complain about it since it's so cute and stars in more movies than Jirachi. XD *shot*

Well, you'll have to go into uber rules to battle with it still I'm afraid... Opinions don't change overnight. D:
    Indeed. People tend to think all legendary pokemon are uber. THEY ARENT!!
    Many legendaries, with the exeption of a few, lack the stats to be classified as an uber yet they are placed into that category anyway because people think they have no weaknesses and cannot be killed.
    IMO, the tier sysyem is only a way to hide the fact that most trainers dont know enough about pokemon to understand that you cannot possibly build a perfect team that can handle everything that can be thrown at you. So when something kicks their rear too many times they get mad and ban it. Sure, it's frustrating to lose to someone usuing a tactic that happens to be almost unstoppable but that shouldnt make you feel as if your opponent cheated. I belive that powerful pokemon are there for a reason. They make it easier to win. No trainer should ever be scolded for using what works.​
    IMO if you want to use a Mew then that's fine with me.
    It is sad indeed that people fail to see that while mew has a larger movepool than others that its stats are not big as it's movepool. I honestly think if mew was bumped down to the OU class or even the UU class that it would promote growth in trainers around the world. Everyone would be forced to know how to combat a well crafted mew and that would bring us all one step closer to being masters. Isnt that what all pokemon battlers aspire to be?

<Nico>

That Guy Over There
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2007
    I agree. This is why I hate the tier system. It's too inflexible. When I battle I never use the stupid tier system. It's useless. It's full of senseless classifications such as mew being an uber. It may have a good move pool, but it's severely limited by the fact it cannot breed and that's how you get non TM/HM/Learned Moves moves on a Pokemon.

Indeed. People tend to think all legendary pokemon are uber. THEY ARENT!!
    Many legendaries, with the exeption of a few, lack the stats to be classified as an uber yet they are placed into that category anyway because people think they have no weaknesses and cannot be killed.
    IMO, the tier sysyem is only a way to hide the fact that most trainers dont know enough about pokemon to understand that you cannot possibly build a perfect team that can handle everything that can be thrown at you. So when something kicks their rear too many times they get mad and ban it. Sure, it's frustrating to lose to someone usuing a tactic that happens to be almost unstoppable but that shouldnt make you feel as if your opponent cheated. I belive that powerful pokemon are there for a reason. They make it easier to win. No trainer should ever be scolded for using what works.​
    IMO if you want to use a Mew then that's fine with me.
    It is sad indeed that people fail to see that while mew has a larger movepool than others that its stats are not big as it's movepool. I honestly think if mew was bumped down to the OU class or even the UU class that it would promote growth in trainers around the world. Everyone would be forced to know how to combat a well crafted mew and that would bring us all one step closer to being masters. Isnt that what all pokemon battlers aspire to be?

Thank you.. you're my hero.. ;___;

ShadowLucario

Shadow Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2008
    i think mew is a really cool pokemon. but as you say.people look down on those you use them :(

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    Mew Isn't Considred an Uber, for Example: Let's just Say this is Dp Heracross Runs an Adamant Nature, has Stab'ed Megahorn, has 125 Base Attack, and the Fact that Megahorn has 120 Attack and is a Psyhical Attack. and let's not Forget the Fact that he's Most Likely to Hold attack Boosting Item like Choice Band, Mew has 100 Base Defense but Heracross has Low Defenses, who The Heck uses an Adamant Psyhical Mew. with Modest Nature you're Reducing Attacking Power Anyways, so Most lilkely to See a Modest Natured Mew unless you're Facing one Heck of Noob.

So Most Likely the Megahorn will Beat the Crap out of Mew, and let's not also Forgot 252 Attack, 252 Speed, and 4 or 6 Special Defense. Plus it's Super Effective, so let's get a Caculator out, and let Math Time Begin!!!

120 + 125 Attack already Equals 245 Attack, + Choice Band Equalks 300 Attack Wow, this Getting High, i Wonder if Mew can Withstand Most Likely Not. + 10% =330 Attack, not Much But Hey. if Someone can Caculate the Rest for Me it would be Greatly Appreciated, but i'll Try Adding if this an Incorrect Method Please Say so i this Thread, it's also Greatly Appreciated.

330 + 252 = 552 Attack, so if this the Correct Method too 100 Subtracted from 552 =442 Attack, i'm Pretty sure this Counts as well,

442 Times 2 =884 Wow Mew's Obviously Dead, but if you Wan't to Caculate it's Speed for me Thanks, again it would be Greatly Appreciated, this is Pretty much all i can do for the Speed.

if Heracross is Holding a Choice Scarf with 85 Base Speed, it's Kind of In-Between, but i'll Count the Real Stats.
    295 Speed + Choice Scarf =471 Base Speed+252=723 Most likely Mew is Going to be holding Choice Specs with Modest Nature so let's Caculate it's Stats without a Speed Increasing Item/Nature.

Mew with Ev's 328+252=580,

Mew without Ev's. Mew's Speed+Nothing+328. So, does this Clear it up Now, if anyone's want's to Add or Correct anything on this, please do so.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • Mew has 100 Base Defense but Heracross has Low Defenses, who The Heck uses an Adamant Psyhical Mew. with Modest Nature you're Reducing Attacking Power Anyways, so Most lilkely to See a Modest Natured Mew unless you're Facing one Heck of Noob.

Yeah, a special sweeper is more common (with Timid nature), but since Mew has a base 100 in each stat, with the right EVs, nature, and moveset (since he can learn virtually any move in the game), he can be transformed into anything: physical sweeper, special sweeper, physical wall or special wall. I'm not saying he should be taken off the uber list, because I sure as hell wouldn't want to face one unless I had an uber/legendary on my team.

Mew without Ev's. Mew's Speed+Nothing+328. So, does this Clear it up Now, if anyone's want's to Add or Correct anything on this, please do so.

I'd like to correct your Shift button. :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2008
    I have a mew that I'm planning to train so it can be part of my main party, and I don't see the harm in having mew or any other legendary on your team as long as the person you are battling can use legendaries too

Years
  • I love my Mew too and it was my first EV trained pokemon but sadly, a lot of people think it's unfair because his moveset is unpredictable and thus, hard to counter unless you know what you're up against. Just battle it with someone who uses legendaries too or a friend or someone that isn't a scared wussy. :P
    I agree, Thats the whole point of battling,what kind of a battle will it be if you can predict moves-A BORING ONE- Theres nothing wrong with using mew or the legendaries, its all about stragety people!

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
  • Listen, if you want to use your mew, then by all means, use your mew. The people that think its cheating are the ones who don't really know how to battle good, and can't come up with good move sets. They think that any pokemon that can beat them is getting close to drawing the line of cheating.

Again, its your mew, use it when you want, and don't let any punk little noob put you down because they think its unffair. And on top of that, you got yours ligitly. Not many people have those, so you have every right in the world to use it when ever you please.

Narutonoor

Pokémon Collector
    Years
  • There is nothing wrong with using it, but using legendaries isn't my thing because they are overpowered, you can't argue with that.
    That's why they're not allowed to be used in things like battle tower, and online play there is a feature to disclude legendary pokemon.
    I like normal Pokemon better, they have better movesets in my opinion.

Back