• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Janp likes anime

Years
  • I'll be putting my thoughts on stuff I'll watch for 2023 Anime & Manga Challenge here.

My goal is to watch 12 anime series this year. I'll be giving my thoughts on each one after I finish watching them. I'm also considering writing down my first feeling of each series after their first episode. Not sure how well I'll keep it up.

Currently watching

Finished series

Chainsaw Man​

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay, I think it's time to start updating this thread:

Chainsaw Man
    I started this show because it was recommended to be everywhere. I usually enjoy shonen anime, despite not really looking for them. I know I'm not the target audience, but this anime tried so hard to make me not like it. It gives out a good idea and then completely bash it.

And it's a shame, because the first episode is great. It introduces cool concepts and settings. But starting from the second episode, the show quickly falls into boring shonen tropes. Bad tropes. Implemented very badly. Denji is boring cringy character with boring motivation and goal. The rest of the cast wasn't better. There are like 2 Sasuke wanna-bes, few girls that are sexual objects at best and... that's it pretty much.

I like Denji's Chainsaw Man form design of most demons at start, but they quickly got generic. Like there is random guy that has same design as Denji, only he has katanas instead of chainsaws. Can't wait for Gun Demon to be just a generic guy with revolver instead of his head.

The animation was great, the sound design and music also fit the show really well. Sadly, there was like 2 good fights in the show. The rest was again bland and boring to watch. It felt like every other shonen anime, but worse.

It tries to keep the attention with "shocking" scenes. From time to time, the show randomly shouts: SEX, GORE, SEX, SCAT, GORE, SEX! And these scene adds nothing of a value to the show, It just made me question: "Who is this show for?" It certainly isn't for me. I can't imagine my 15 years old me would enjyo this show, I don't think any any mentally well person would prefer this anime over anything else.

Overall, I don't want to talk or think about this anime anymore. It was awful, boring, bland and tried way too hard to be shocking. 3/10.

So, this thread doesn't start in a positive note. I hope it will get better as the year goes.

Years
  • Well, I'm really neglecting this thread. But I have something to talk about. I started watching Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro and Digimon: Ghost Game. So, let's talk about first impressions.

First impression of Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro
    I let Crunchyroll decide what to watch and got this anime. I'm on episode 3 right now and to be honest, it's okay so far. I was considering dropping it after the first episode, but decided to give it another try and second and third episodes were actually fun. I like where this is going. But I fear this concept of short games the two main characters are playing won't be enough for a whole season, despite both characters being well-written so far.

First impression of Digimon: Ghost Game
    I actually watched first few episodes last year, but only now picked it up again. I like the horror take on Digimon. As someone, who only ever watched Adventures, this is nice change of scenary and pace. I like the main trio, except for Jellymon. I don't like neither her design or personality. I'm looking forward watching more of this anime.

Years
  • Hey, do you remember this thread exists? I for sure do...

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro
    I'm long overdue for this update. I finished the first season of Nagatoro months ago. And it was good.

I really liked the dynamic between Nagatoro and Senpai. I was afraid the anime would be just a series of "games" that Nagatoro uses to make "fun" of Senpai, but it slowly evolved into a pretty good story. I like that the anime takes its time setting up both main characters. It builds a strong foundation for what comes next. Most of the conflicts come from characters interacting with each other, and it was fun to watch.

While both main characters felt a little bit too one-dimensional in the first few episodes, they get more flashed out in the latter episodes. The shy introvert vs. extravagant extrovert trope is still there, but at least the characters feel like people instead of just caricatures. It was nice to watch the effect they have on each other.

The supporting cast was also okay. I was glad they all didn't fall for Senpai and didn't become part of his harem. Instead, they were aware that the main characters liked each other and decided to tease both of them. On the other hand, it felt a little bit weird that they all started hanging out in the art room instead of hanging out in the restaurant, where they were established to hang out at the start.

I think the episodic storytelling really fits the series. Most of the episodes' plots were character-driven, and they worked really well. It never felt like a chore to watch, although it felt a little bit predictable at times. Most episodes follow a similar formula of either Nagatoro's or Senpai's plans backfiring horribly. Which was also the main source of all jokes.

Overall, I had really low expectations going into this series, but it was fun in the end. I'm definitely continuing on with the second season. 7.5.

I'll continue on with the second season. But I also have to find something new to watch. And actually watch it in less than 6 months.

Back