• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Fully Decapitalized Pokefirered and Pokeemerald

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams
Years
  • Hello everyone!

You might be familiar with my works in binary hacking such as the Firered Decapitalization Patch. Well, as I and many others have gained an interest in decomps, I took it upon myself to make decapitalization branches for both Pokefirered and Pokeemerald. Every menu, every script, every summary, description, trainer, item, etc. has been decapitalized, so no more cases of NOUNS screaming at you midsentence LIKE THIS.
    There may be one or two files that I missed in each repo, and in that case either just contact me, report an issue and/or send a pull request. Nothing else has been edited, the games are otherwise left vanilla. To confirm, I playtested both for about 10 minutes just to make sure.

There is not much more I can add, so heres the links!

Pokeemerald
    https://github.com/ProfLeonDias/pokeemerald/tree/decapitalization

Pokefirered
    https://github.com/ProfLeonDias/pokefirered/tree/decapitalization

Q: Will you do Pokeruby as well?
    A: No

How to add:
    EM:
    git remote add leon https://github.com/ProfLeonDias/pokeemerald
    git pull leon decapitalization

FR:
    git remote add leon https://github.com/ProfLeonDias/pokefirered
    git pull leon decapitalization

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2021
    I believe there might be a slight issue with your Emerald Decapitalization branch, see, I wanted to use it as basis for a Hack, and I started by removing the random damage variance of attacks.
    But in the process of testing that by comparing the rom I built with another vanilla one by looking at the damage values in the first Wally rematch, I found out that said value were above what I was expecting.

On the vanilla rom I got off the internet, Wally's Magneton did around 74 to 88 damage to my Loudred when using thunderbolt, but on the one I built using using your version of the decomp, it did about 86 to 99 damage (once I removed the code that turned off the damage variance).

I did a couple more tests using the default decomp repository to make another rom, and there too I got the 74 to 88 damage values.
    I then tried testing the same thing against Sidney's Mightyena, but there didn't seem to be any variance in damage between the vanilla rom and the decapitalized one.

So I wanted to ask, did you happpen to make other changes to the decomp besides the Decapitualization?
    Like to thunderbolt's power or to trainer sets or even pokémon stats?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I believe there might be a slight issue with your Emerald Decapitalization branch, see, I wanted to use it as basis for a Hack, and I started by removing the random damage variance of attacks.
    But in the process of testing that by comparing the rom I built with another vanilla one by looking at the damage values in the first Wally rematch, I found out that said value were above what I was expecting.

On the vanilla rom I got off the internet, Wally's Magneton did around 74 to 88 damage to my Loudred when using thunderbolt, but on the one I built using using your version of the decomp, it did about 86 to 99 damage (once I removed the code that turned off the damage variance).

I did a couple more tests using the default decomp repository to make another rom, and there too I got the 74 to 88 damage values.
    I then tried testing the same thing against Sidney's Mightyena, but there didn't seem to be any variance in damage between the vanilla rom and the decapitalized one.

So I wanted to ask, did you happpen to make other changes to the decomp besides the Decapitualization?
    Like to thunderbolt's power or to trainer sets or even pokémon stats?

Maybe the opponent Pokémon natures were different

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2021
    Maybe the opponent Pokémon natures were different

Well, as it turns out, your hunch was correct, natures are indeed responsible for the change in damage, it's caused by the /src/data/trainers.h and /src/data/text/species_names.h files.
    Merely changing the name of the trainer and pokémon species changes the personality values and therefore the nature, because in /src/battle_main.c, they're hashed as part of the creation of the pokémon's stats.
    And because of how a hash works, it will always give you the same result when you feed it the same string, which is why the stats of trainers's pokémons are fixed.
    So by changing the names of trainers and pokémons, it basically ends up changing the stats of every opponent's team in the game!
    So yeah, not quite vanilla.

I suppose some people might not want that to happen, so here's some code one can add to /src/battle_main.c to fix the issue while keeping the decapitalized pokémon and trainer names:

First, we're going to add the definition of our toUpper function at the start of the file
    Spoiler:
    Then, let's add our toUpper function, it's a simple switch...case that'll return a lowercase letter when it gets a uppercase one.
    (This can definitely be improved but I wouldn't know how to, because pokeemerald doesn't use ascii).
    Spoiler:
    Finally, let's call our function where it is needed
    Spoiler:
    (Credits to MGriffin on the prep discord for helping me figure out the problem)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2022
    For some reason it spits all this out at once when I use "git pull leon decapitalization":

From https://github.com/ProfLeonDias/pokeemerald
    * branch decapitalization -> FETCH_HEAD

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
    git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.
    Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: empty ident name (for <[email protected]>) not allowed

Can someone tell me what this means? I am not very computer literate, thought adding the decapitalization would be an easy place to start after getting the decomp up and running.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • For some reason it spits all this out at once when I use "git pull leon decapitalization":

From https://github.com/ProfLeonDias/pokeemerald
    * branch decapitalization -> FETCH_HEAD

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
    git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.
    Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: empty ident name (for <[email protected]>) not allowed

Can someone tell me what this means? I am not very computer literate, thought adding the decapitalization would be an easy place to start after getting the decomp up and running.
    You need to link your GitHub account to your terminal in order to git pull. In other words, as the terminal tells you, you need to use git config --global user.email insert_your_email_here and git config --global user.name insert_your_username_here.

Back