• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Getting different angles in the overworld

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
Years
  • Hey im developing a fan game and for a particular area in game i need to change the perspective so the player cant see overhead, i want yo know if theres a way i can change the angle so this is possible.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Might want to give some more information if you expect an answer. We don't know what program you're using, what your current graphics look like, or even what "angle" you want.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    The over head angle is essentially the way the graphics are working.
    Gen I - V of Pokémon mainly utilise a set of graphics to make it look over head or top down.

Where as Gen VI and VII are 3D games, and utilise an actual camera to change angles of the overworld as they please.

What can be done with this infomation, I'm not too sure, to be honest.

Years
    • Seen today
    The over head angle is essentially the way the graphics are working.
    Gen I - V of Pokémon mainly utilise a set of graphics to make it look over head or top down.

That's almost 100% accurate, gens 4 and 5 use 3D models for their terrains but sprites for their characters. Though gen 4 does little with it (As far as I can remember, I think Platinum did some stuff in the distortion world), gen 5 has a number of camera angle tricks (That bridge which has the spiral before you get up is one I can think of from the top of my head.)

But back to the main topic, the bottom line is, it depends based on what you are using to make your game. I don't think Essentials can do that out of the box. Maybe can't do it at all. If it can, it's going to be a fair bit of work.

gl4cieR

C/C++ Graphics Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2018
    Hey im developing a fan game and for a particular area in game i need to change the perspective so the player cant see overhead, i want yo know if theres a way i can change the angle so this is possible.

It will not work out of the box with Essentials because of it's and RPG Maker's nature of being sprite based.

Also how do you image no-top-down sprites if all tilesets are optimized for a top-down view?
    You would not have a pleasing image as in the newer gen games of Pokemon(Newer gen uses 3D Meshes).

Either you ditch RPG Maker and use a 3D Game Engine or you write a 3D Subsystem in Ruby for RPG Maker which is not worth the effort in my opinion.

sincerely,
    gl4cieR

Last edited:

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
    Years
  • It will not work out of the box with Essentials because of it's and RPG Maker's nature of being sprite based.

Also how do you image no-top-down sprites if all tilesets are optimized for a top-down view?
    You would not have a pleasing image as in the newer gen games of Pokemon(Newer gen uses 3D Meshes).

Either you ditch RPG Maker and use a 3D Game Engine or you write a 3D Subsystem in Ruby for RPG Maker which is not worth the effort in my opinion.

sincerely,
    gl4cieR

Ok thanks, but thats a real shame, oh and yes i am using RPG XP

AceTrainerGecx

Elite Trainer
    Years
  • It will not work out of the box with Essentials because of it's and RPG Maker's nature of being sprite based.

sincerely,
    gl4cieR

Ive ditched rpgxp maker and went with unity, but im still unsure about how to go about getting the different angles

Back