• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Is it possible to decompile my already worked on Pokemon Emerald rom?

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Hello,

So I have made changes in an Pokemon Emerald Rom to pokemons base stats and moves etc and I discovered in these forums that you can make a Soft Level Cap using this tutorial https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10369997 that I really like and made it work using the pokeemerald github base but I hoped to use the hack I already made prior to using this and tried to apply an ips patch of my game to the GBA - file in the decomp folder but I can't seem to get it to work, either it overwrites the soft level cap or it overwrites the changes I made in the first file.

What can I do to make my goal happen, to get the soft level cap on my existing rom file from before where I've already made months of changes to?

I tried to search around for a way to decompile my rom like the one in github but either I don't know where to look or its too hard to understand for a newbie like me.

Sorry if the category is wrong.
    Thanks

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I tried to search around for a way to decompile my rom like the one in github but either I don't know where to look or its too hard to understand for a newbie like me.
    Yeah, uh, you're not going to be disassembling and decompiling a ROM, specially on your own, anytime soon.
    You need extensive knowledge about programming languages such as Assembly and C, knowledge about how the GBA works, knowledge about how compilers and linkers work, etc, etc.
    It's not something you will learn and do (again, specially alone on your own) in a couple of weeks. It's a very daunting task that takes years and years to complete.

I can't help you about implementing features designed for projects that make use of the decomps in a ROM (that is to say, a binary hacking project) directly, but I can suggest you to either learn about how injections of code for these games' ROMs work (which is again binary hacking territory), or I can suggest you to start your project from scratch using the decomps.
    I think those are the most realistic choices for you here.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Yeah, uh, you're not going to be disassembling and decompiling a ROM, specially on your own, anytime soon.
    You need extensive knowledge about programming languages such as Assembly and C, knowledge about how the GBA works, knowledge about how compilers and linkers work, etc, etc.
    It's not something you will learn and do (again, specially alone on your own) in a couple of weeks. It's a very daunting task that takes years and years to complete.

I can't help you about implementing features designed for projects that make use of the decomps in a ROM (that is to say, a binary hacking project) directly, but I can suggest you to either learn about how injections of code for these games' ROMs work (which is again binary hacking territory), or I can suggest you to start your project from scratch using the decomps.
    I think those are the most realistic choices for you here.

I see, that sounds like too much work for me then I rather go and start from scratch with the decomps, saw a nice channel that went through just that and has gotten me the pokeemerald-expansion set up so I just need to venture deeper that rabbit hole.

I might just also scrap the idea of soft level cap for my binary rom hack but maybe it can also serve as a guide for how I wanted my hack to be from the start. But I digress.

Thanks for the clarity!

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    Here is the solution download mod exe for ememerald it includes 2 level caps for binary hacking you should be able to change your rom, one level cap is for badges other is for level scaling.

Back