• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critical Captures

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • Since Gen V, there's a special type of capture that has higher probability of catching a Pokemon, called Critical Capture. It works a bit like Critical Hits in Battles. When this happens, there's a high-pitched whistling sound, a pause in mid-air, a shudder, then the Pokeball drops down & shakes only once before the Pokémon is caught.

Its probability depends on the number of Pokemon caught in the Pokedex as follows:-

>600 = 2.5
    451-600 = 2
    301-450 = 1.5
    151-300 = 1
    31-150 = 0.5
    <=30 = 0

So have you ever gotten a Critical Capture? How did you react the first time it happened, were you already aware of the feature?

Pika Pika :chu:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • The first time I noticed it was actually with Reshiram haha-in my very first playthrough of Black Version no less. I didn't know what happened at the time, and was just glad that I caught it.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • The first time I noticed it was actually with Reshiram haha-in my very first playthrough of Black Version no less. I didn't know what happened at the time, and was just glad that I caught it.
    When I first got a critical capture, in my first playthrough of White, I was not aware of the concept, I actually thought I might have missed the capture Animation or something :P.

Ida13

Gone For a While
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    Is that what it is? I believed that it was a glitch on my game.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I know my first critical capture wasn't earlier than my third playthrough of BW. Very weird how I didn't have it at all in those earlier games. I don't remember what Pok?mon it was that I caught. In SM I've had quite some critical catches, the very worst one being a Makuhita I tried to catch just to have its dex entry. Now, I hate Makuhita, I despise the thing, so I felt it was a big thing that I actually spent my time trying to catch it. So the critical catch happens, and it breaks out.

Justifiably, this is my most hated Pok?mon. Critical catches though? Fun mechanic.

Years
  • The first time I actually noticed it was in Gen 6, but yeah it's a pretty cool idea and is always a pretty good feeling when you get one.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Is that what it is? I believed that it was a glitch on my game.
    The first time I actually noticed it was in Gen 6, but yeah it's a pretty cool idea and is always a pretty good feeling when you get one.
    I know my first critical capture wasn't earlier than my third playthrough of BW. Very weird how I didn't have it at all in those earlier games. I don't remember what Pok?mon it was that I caught. In SM I've had quite some critical catches, the very worst one being a Makuhita I tried to catch just to have its dex entry. Now, I hate Makuhita, I despise the thing, so I felt it was a big thing that I actually spent my time trying to catch it. So the critical catch happens, and it breaks out.

Justifiably, this is my most hated Pok?mon. Critical catches though? Fun mechanic.
    I also thought it was a glitch. It was only after it happened a few times that I googled up & learned about critical captures.

I actually don't dislike Makuhita, its a cool Pokemon. But yes, critical captures are critical especially if you're trying to catch a Pokemon just for having a 'caught' in your Dex Entry.

Its a cool concept, but very annoying when it fails though.

Back