• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Failure to install pokefirered decomp

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    I've been trying to install pokefirered but come across this error at sh build.sh
    Code:
    -snip-

for name in _udivsi3 _divsi3 _umodsi3 _modsi3 _dvmd_tls _call_via_rX; \
    do \
      echo ${name}; \
      cc -E -undef -nostdinc -DL${name} -x assembler-with-cpp -o ${name}.s lib1thumb
    .asm; \
      bash -c 'echo -e ".text\n\t.align\t2, 0\n"' >> ${name}.s ; \
      arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi -o ${name}.o ${name}.s; \
      rm -f ${name}.s; \
      arm-none-eabi-ar -rc tmplibgcc1.a ${name}.o; \
      rm -f ${name}.o; \
    done
    _udivsi3
    /bin/sh: line 5: arm-none-eabi-as: command not found
    /bin/sh: line 7: arm-none-eabi-ar: command not found
    _divsi3
    _umodsi3
    _modsi3
    _dvmd_tls
    _call_via_rX
    mv tmplibgcc1.a libgcc1.a
    mv: cannot stat 'tmplibgcc1.a': No such file or directory
    make: *** [Makefile:36: libgcc1.a] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory '/home/Ni/agbcc/libgcc'

"mv: cannot stat 'tmplibgcc1.a': No such file or directory", I assume, is the big problem here. I thought I had missed a package but I really do think I've installed everything. Needless to say, sh install.sh ../pokefirered would not work without this.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I've been trying to install pokefirered but come across this error at sh build.sh
    Code:
    -snip-

for name in _udivsi3 _divsi3 _umodsi3 _modsi3 _dvmd_tls _call_via_rX; \
    do \
      echo ${name}; \
      cc -E -undef -nostdinc -DL${name} -x assembler-with-cpp -o ${name}.s lib1thumb
    .asm; \
      bash -c 'echo -e ".text\n\t.align\t2, 0\n"' >> ${name}.s ; \
      arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi -o ${name}.o ${name}.s; \
      rm -f ${name}.s; \
      arm-none-eabi-ar -rc tmplibgcc1.a ${name}.o; \
      rm -f ${name}.o; \
    done
    _udivsi3
    _divsi3
    _umodsi3
    _modsi3
    _dvmd_tls
    _call_via_rX
    mv tmplibgcc1.a libgcc1.a
    mv: cannot stat 'tmplibgcc1.a': No such file or directory
    make: *** [Makefile:36: libgcc1.a] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory '/home/Ni/agbcc/libgcc'

"mv: cannot stat 'tmplibgcc1.a': No such file or directory", I assume, is the big problem here. I thought I had missed a package but I really do think I've installed everything. Needless to say, sh install.sh ../pokefirered would not work without this.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Old conversations inside Pret's Discord server attribute that error to a lack or misconfiguration of environment variables related to devkitPro.
    What environment are you using to build Pokefirered? Cygwin, MSys2, WSL or something else?

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    Old conversations inside Pret's Discord server attribute that error to a lack or misconfiguration of environment variables related to devkitPro.
    What environment are you using to build Pokefirered? Cygwin, MSys2, WSL or something else?

I'm using Cygwin. The installation of Devkitpro was fairly automated, so I'm not sure what could have gone wrong there. INSTALL.md at pokefirered just links to an installer and says it'll handle the rest

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I'm using Cygwin. The installation of Devkitpro was fairly automated, so I'm not sure what could have gone wrong there. INSTALL.md at pokefirered just links to an installer and says it'll handle the rest
    Yeah... no. It won't just "handle the rest".
    The current INSTALL.md present in the projects' repository is fairly old and unintuitive. It's in the process of being replaced with a more robust and better written one.

Cygwin specifically requires you to set the environment variables to interact with devkitPro manually.
    I wrote a tutorial that explains this, go to the Step 8 and see for yourself.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    Yeah... no. It won't just "handle the rest".
    The current INSTALL.md present in the projects' repository is fairly old and unintuitive. It's in the process of being replaced with a more robust and better written one.

Cygwin specifically requires you to set the environment variables to interact with devkitPro manually.
    I wrote a tutorial that explains this, go to the Step 8 and see for yourself.

If you mean:
    export DEVKITPRO=/cygdrive/c/devkitPro
    echo export DEVKITPRO=$DEVKITPRO >> ~/.bashrc
    export DEVKITARM=$DEVKITPRO/devkitARM
    echo export DEVKITARM=$DEVKITARM >> ~/.bashrc

Then unfortunately I did run those commands before build.sh. Although, I also don't know if they did anything.
    MXbFnq4.png

Is there supposed to be some other output from those lines?

I did it again and the problem hasn't changed, oof

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • If you mean:
    export DEVKITPRO=/cygdrive/c/devkitPro
    echo export DEVKITPRO=$DEVKITPRO >> ~/.bashrc
    export DEVKITARM=$DEVKITPRO/devkitARM
    echo export DEVKITARM=$DEVKITARM >> ~/.bashrc

Then unfortunately I did run those commands before build.sh. Although, I also don't know if they did anything.
    MXbFnq4.png

Is there supposed to be some other output from those lines?

I did it again and the problem hasn't changed, oof
    No, there isn't supposed to be any output. That means the commands were executed correctly.

Say, did you install devkitPro in its default directory? Because those lines are specifically tailored to it.
    If you installed it somewhere else, or in another hard drive, you'd naturally need to tweak the first command before entering it.
    Since it seems you've already executed the commands, you'll have to modify C:\cygwin64\home\USER\.bashrc instead, again, if you didn't install dkP in its default path.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    No, there isn't supposed to be any output. That means the commands were executed correctly.

Say, did you install devkitPro in its default directory? Because those lines are specifically tailored to it.
    If you installed it somewhere else, or in another hard drive, you'd naturally need to tweak the first command before entering it.
    Since it seems you've already executed the commands, you'll have to modify C:\cygwin64\home\USER\.bashrc instead, again, if you didn't install dkP in its default path.

I did indeed install devkitPro in its default directory (C:\devkitPro)
    I uninstalled and restarted the process from both devkit and cygwin installers and followed your video tutorial from a year ago and still get the exact same error

I can't help but feel something is missing from my devkitpro installation. Is this all that's supposed to be in that directory?
    CYV7odi.png

msys2 contains:
    9z3vD2R.png

Years
    • Seen today
    I can't help but feel something is missing from my devkitpro installation. Is this all that's supposed to be in that directory?

There should at least be a folder called devkitARM in there.
    It's been a while since I installed it but maybe you need to select devkitarm in the installer? I would try running the updater and see if it lets you install devkitarm.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    There should at least be a folder called devkitARM in there.
    It's been a while since I installed it but maybe you need to select devkitarm in the installer? I would try running the updater and see if it lets you install devkitarm.

I thought so. There are always references to devkitarm but I definitely don't have it. I'm now fairly certain that's what I'm missing.
    However, there was no such selection in the installer. I understand devkitarm is one of the devkitpro toolchains, but the only selections I had to make during install were "gba develeopment". Thanks for the help, now I just need someone to help me figure out how to properly install devkitarm

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I did indeed install devkitPro in its default directory (C:\devkitPro)
    I uninstalled and restarted the process from both devkit and cygwin installers and followed your video tutorial from a year ago and still get the exact same error

CYV7odi.png

msys2 contains:
    9z3vD2R.png
    I thought so. There are always references to devkitarm but I definitely don't have it. I'm now fairly certain that's what I'm missing.
    However, there was no such selection in the installer. I understand devkitarm is one of the devkitpro toolchains, but the only selections I had to make during install were "gba develeopment". Thanks for the help, now I just need someone to help me figure out how to properly install devkitarm
    The GBA development package is all you need to work with the decomps.
    If despite having that checked, devkitARM didn't get installed on your end, I'm inclined to believe there was an error during the installation.
    If you have an Anti Virus software enabled, that could be causing it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    The GBA development package is all you need to work with the decomps.
    If despite having that checked, devkitARM didn't get installed on your end, I'm inclined to believe there was an error during the installation.
    If you have an Anti Virus software enabled, that could be causing it.

Oof.
    I uninstalled and ran the installer again, making sure gba was ticked, with any anti virus software turned off, and still no Devkitarm folder appears under devkitpro.
    I looked at older versions of the devkit installer (2.2.1) which do have a seperate tickbox for the devkitarm toolchain, and I thought I was in the clear, but those installers can no longer download anything (probably just too damn old to get stuff from their server anymore).
    At this point I don't see what I can do other than literally ask someone to give me a preinstalled devktipro folder

Edit: It's worth noting that a quick look at the devkitpro forums show that quite a few people are having this same problem with the installer. None of those topics have any solution other than 'the problem randomly fixed itself.' Very ridiculous lmao

Edit2: Alright, after scouring the internet for sometime I was able to find a complete but old preinstalled DevkitARM folder that I threw into my devkit drive. I can confirm that everything WORKS NOW! The missing folder was the only problem, and with it I've successfully built pokefirered.gba. Of course, using a version of devkitarm from 2018 is nowhere near an ideal solution, so I'll keep looking for a proper fix, or at least an up to date version of that devkitarm folder

Thanks for the help you two

Last edited:
    Back