• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Art School: Back In Session

Years
  • Hey everyone! I've already said so in the DCC, but I've been working on revamping art school, and it's mostly done! We just need some content posts (and maybe some new prefixes), but the new systems are in place. It's nothing too fancy, but here's the breakdown.

Thread Types

Community Classes: Everyone who wants to learn a medium will be in a class together, and all interested tutors will work together in the thread. This way the thread will be able to keep going if a tutor needs to take a break and tutors will not be so pressured if they have so many students. Projects should be designed to accept drop in and drop out students. As always, students are encouraged to collaborate and critique with each other. The goal is that at all times there should be activity in the class. All previous classes will be converted into this thread type.

Homework Help: Either for our class or another project, students come here for individual help with projects. It can be something that you've put on yourself, but thi is about help working within specifications. It can be difficult to create work and solve problems when you only have a certain amount of things you can work with. When you create a Help thread, you seriously want a lot of help and critique on a speceific peice of work in it's entirety, not just a quick question.

Challenge Collaboration: There are some things we don't know! There are also subjects we don't have anyone with us who can teach us, or we don't know much about. This is what these threads are about, where we all go through materials or challenges to get better, together! Things like the Weekly Pixel Challenge and other related things will be refreshed here under this idea.

Nina, why are you the author of every class?

The biggest problem we had with the previous activity of art school was hiatuses and absences. These are inevitable as PC is just a hobby for many of us and life deals us certain cards, but I thought that it shouldn't mean the school should die. Instead, the classes like I've shown before have been structured to accomodate multiple and rotating professors. Because of this, I've made a short post to begin each class thread. In this post, it lists the current professor list!
    This way, myself or a moderator can update this list accordingly without messing up the first professor's post. It can show new members at a glance how many, if any, professors are currently available for their chosen topic from the start.

Two topics which had more than 1 page of posts have been converted into the new system, as to keep all the resources and examples posted so far.

So, if there isn't a post from a professor in the class yet please refrain from posting right now.

I promise we'll get a first post in there very soon!
    Professors: the first post does not have to be an actual class overveiw, but just a summary of the medium you are going to teach and it's applications.

What does this mean for students?

For you, as we're setting up, it doesn't mean too much yet. We're all still getting up into gear, but it means you should probably read over the Art School general post and rules, and state your interest in classes! If you have already done this before, it wouldn't hurt if you would revalidate your interest in those things so we can get a better understanding of who's still here.

While I still want everyone to post in the art school thread as students, the classes are more walk-in based now, so stick your head in anywhere you feel interested!

Last edited:
    Reactions: ZKE

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • state your interest in classes! If you have already done this before, it wouldn't hurt if you would revalidate your interest in those things so we can get a better understanding of who's still here.
    No idea where I'm supposed to be stating interest. Seems like the main threads are reserved until Profs decide to volunteer themselves.

I'm interested in them all except the ones that would cost physical materials to enroll in. So specifically not any of the actual drawing classes because I don't have paper/proper utensils. I'm specifically interested in Pixel Art (I think that one is really popular!) and the CSS class is also intriguing to me.

For a potential suggestion, I would appreciate if the first class, or maybe an auxiliary post explained certain setups the teacher would be using. For example, in the recent speed paint(?) video in PC's YT channel, you were using a program which I haven't used before & am unfamiliar with. It would be nice to know about tools that are available to help aid us in the class.

Good luck with this project, hopefully a lot more people will show interest. It really is an awesome opportunity!

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Seems like a good place for me to learn more about drawing. It is great to make my hobby as a good opportunity for me to learn more and get more motivation and confidence, I will join the class!

Years
  • No idea where I'm supposed to be stating interest. Seems like the main threads are reserved until Profs decide to volunteer themselves.

I'm interested in them all except the ones that would cost physical materials to enroll in. So specifically not any of the actual drawing classes because I don't have paper/proper utensils. I'm specifically interested in Pixel Art (I think that one is really popular!) and the CSS class is also intriguing to me.

For a potential suggestion, I would appreciate if the first class, or maybe an auxiliary post explained certain setups the teacher would be using. For example, in the recent speed paint(?) video in PC's YT channel, you were using a program which I haven't used before & am unfamiliar with. It would be nice to know about tools that are available to help aid us in the class.

Good luck with this project, hopefully a lot more people will show interest. It really is an awesome opportunity!

Guh I'm sorry I forgot to actually link the sign up thread!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=354562
    You can also just show up in some of the classes once they have the first post. This thread will also show a class list though, as some are older ones not found at the top right now.

Yes, that is a problem with some classes that do require physical mediums, or programs that cost money. That is unfortunatly a problem that we can't much help in.

In the recent video I was used Pyxel Edit! In the sticky thread of the art school, there is actually a resource thread that is updated, but questions like help in specific programs are also useful to be post in classes. For my class I didn't have programs needed or suggested, but that is a thing that are a good things for professor to post, what prgrams are avialable to use. If that's not already covered in fairy's pixel art class, it is something I could go over soon.

The way it worked perviously is that a professor had a syllabus that explained these things, but now that there are multiple, it's a bit different. These are also things that could be put into the first short post! Thank you for your insight into this. :)

Back