• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VTECH fined for collection of children's data

Years
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42620717

Y'all remember VTECH toys, right? Well, they were fined $650,000 by the FTC over collection of children's personal data, through their Kid Connect app. The app was supposedly collecting personal data on children itself, and there was a breach involved to where a "security researcher" (as the article puts it 🙄) could gain access to this information.

While under normal circumstances would a company not be fined for this level of data breach, it's a violation of COPPA, or the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. The law is what protects collection of personal data by a private company of individuals who are under the age of 13.

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Why do we even have these laws it's not like *they* care much. I'm sure vtech will keep collecting data on children and share that data with its partners to squeeze as much money out of the market as possible. Cash is all they care about. "Cash is King"

S-MAN

Banned
Years
This reminds me of that story from not too long ago about some American made dolls that can be potentially used as a spying tool that ended up being banned from Germany. Here is a source:
https://www.npr.org/2017/02/20/516292295/germany-bans-my-friend-cayla-doll-over-spying-concerns

Hiroshi's concerns' as well as everyone else's is a legitimate claim. Do you want people whom you did not express direct consent to listen/watch your kids or might indirectly listen to others? What happens if these toys or products have cameras? Think of all the possibilities. Targetting children for enhancing advertising practices seems unethical.. Nonetheless we wouldn't have Pokemon if it wasn't for it.. to some degree.

No data should be collected in a direct child-to-product manner because there's always going to be some clever person out there to exploit it or simply there will always a possibility it will be misused. I can see there being pros and cons with this technology, so it's really up for debate but we are talking about our own children. I personally don't agree with trying to quantify the minds of those who will be our future and legacy.

Years
No data should be collected in a direct child-to-product manner because there's always going to be some clever person out there to exploit it or simply there will always a possibility it will be misused. I can see there being pros and cons with this technology, so it's really up for debate but we are talking about our own children. I personally don't agree with trying to quantify the minds of those who will be our future and legacy.
As said above, it is illegal in the United States for children's' data to be collected, including voice recordings, video captures, pictures, etc. Parents (and children) may seem to consent to this, but it's still illegal!

I hadn't heard of that toy before, but honestly I can't believe toy manufacturers are disregarding COPPA like it's nothing.

Back