• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starting over!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023
    Hello all

Basically I'm starting over in Pokémon Y. I haven't been playing Pokémon for 10 years or so and I bought a 2DS to start playing it again. Currently, I have 6 badges but I'm not really satisfied.

My team right now is:
    Lucario lv. 39
    Charizard lv. 44
    Tyrantum lv. 43
    Chesnaught lv. 41
    Lapras lv. 41
    Snorlax lv. 37

I love Charizard and Tyrantum, but I don't really like the rest of my team. Lucario has a good Mega evolution but gets beaten easily. I just can't stand Chesnaught for one reason or the other, even though he's not really all that bad. It's the first time I actually own a Lapras so I'm still searching a bit on how to use it properly. Snorlax gets beaten easily as well and is just not the monster it used to be in this game.

TL;DR:
    I may be starting a new game. I really don't like Chesnaught but I want to use my starter. Are you recommending changing my current game or just starting over with another starter?

Thanks!

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • This thread is going tonget moved to In-Game Team Help once Zeffy finds it, but while it's still here:

If you're going to get into competitive play, Fennekin is the way to go with your starter. All of the starter Pokemon have exponentially superior hidden abilities, and you get an opportunity to catch any of them, with their HA, at the end of the game, so the reason for choosing Fennekin is entirely separate from its own potential as a Pokemon: the game assigns one of the three legendary birds to your playthrough based on your starter, and if you picked Fennekin, you get to catch Zapdos, which has the most competitively viable typing of the trio.

Otherwise I'd pick Froakie, because Greninja has the best movepool of the Kalos starters.

Since you're looking into other Steel types, I'd recommend backpedaling to Route 6 and picking up a Honedge. Its final evolution stage, Aegislash, can pretty much plow through the final stages of the game, and it has significant natural bulk, unlike your Lucario. Just make sure that you keep its move King's Shield so that it can switch between blade and shield forme.

Back