• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Valuation Query

Years
  • Age 66
  • Seen Oct 8, 2019
Hi Guys , i am sure i am not the first on here with this query and probably wont be the last , i will try to be as little nuiscance as possible and stick to forum rules and etiquette in the mean time . I have come across a card collection that my son created around , i am guessing , 2000/2005 in the UK . The cards have been kept in two folders and are therefore all in pretty much mint condition and they number approx. 170/200 cards. My 5 year old grandson now collects the more current cards and was almost the very happy recipient of this old collection until i realised some of them may carry some value . As my son gets married next year it would be stupid to pass on the possibility of some welcome injection into the wedding fund and hence my need to see if in fact they do have any value. I see in the forum elsewhere there is a guide for valuing by card /collection numbers at the bottom of each card . May i ask if this is the best way to check any value , is there a better /easier way and any heads up you can give us on the pitfalls to watch out for when valuing and selling . Any advice /help you can offer a complete novice would be appreciated . Obviously i am not running away with the idea that they are going to be worth the equivalent of the entire third world debt but clearly they may be of some interest to some enthusiast as a job lot or we may be lucky and hold a hidden gem in our collection. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer guys.

Years
Hi Guys , i am sure i am not the first on here with this query and probably wont be the last , i will try to be as little nuiscance as possible and stick to forum rules and etiquette in the mean time . I have come across a card collection that my son created around , i am guessing , 2000/2005 in the UK . The cards have been kept in two folders and are therefore all in pretty much mint condition and they number approx. 170/200 cards. My 5 year old grandson now collects the more current cards and was almost the very happy recipient of this old collection until i realised some of them may carry some value . As my son gets married next year it would be stupid to pass on the possibility of some welcome injection into the wedding fund and hence my need to see if in fact they do have any value. I see in the forum elsewhere there is a guide for valuing by card /collection numbers at the bottom of each card . May i ask if this is the best way to check any value , is there a better /easier way and any heads up you can give us on the pitfalls to watch out for when valuing and selling . Any advice /help you can offer a complete novice would be appreciated . Obviously i am not running away with the idea that they are going to be worth the equivalent of the entire third world debt but clearly they may be of some interest to some enthusiast as a job lot or we may be lucky and hold a hidden gem in our collection. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer guys.

Value will totally be dependent on the condition you and your son managed to keep them in.

The information that's usually at the bottom right of the card will generally be accurate for determining what card you have for the most part, though you'll also often need to search the name of the card.

I think for UK prices, what they sell for on Cardmarket might be more accurate for you in the UK than a site like TCGPlayer would be, since CardMarket is EU based and TCGPlayer is USA based. You'd use these as alternatives to looking up the Sold Listing prices on eBay.

You may also want to run selling this by your son to make sure he's not interested in just having it back before you do start into selling the cards, though. Maybe he's gotten into Pokemon again. Quite a few adults are into collecting the cards at present.

Back