• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Download or Adaptability?

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
What would be considered better on a Porygon-Z?
Download?
or Adaptability?

Download means that in a set circumstance, I can get a x1.5 on every move I have, which has its benefits.
On the other hand, Adaptability means I can get a guaranteed 160 Tri Attack.

Last edited:
Years
Adaptability, it allows it to hit harder with its Z-conversion variants. but that is my opinion Z-conversion is likely its best set. If you want Download you may be better off with Porygon 2( which may be better off running trace).

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Adaptability, it allows it to hit harder with its Z-conversion variants. but that is my opinion Z-conversion is likely its best set. If you want Download you may be better off with Porygon 2( which may be better off running trace).

Fair.
I have been playing around with a couple sets. Choice Scarf, Z-Conversion, Specs, even an Analytic/Life Orb set were incredibly effective.
Even with its great versatility, its difficult finding other Pokémon that synergise well with it. What do you think I should run for other the other members of the team?

Last edited:
Years
I would have to say anything that removes steel types, steel types stop Porygon from sweeping or breaking down teams. Mons such as Magnezone and Zapdos with heat wave in some instances are decent partners. Porygon Z is meant to be an endgame however so like you said it is hard to build around specifically. For that reason though usually Porygon-Z is used on Heavy Offense teams such as Aurora veil to clean up.

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
I would have to say anything that removes steel types, steel types stop Porygon from sweeping or breaking down teams. Mons such as Magnezone and Zapdos with heat wave in some instances are decent partners. Porygon Z is meant to be an endgame however so like you said it is hard to build around specifically. For that reason though usually Porygon-Z is used on Heavy Offense teams such as Aurora veil to clean up.

This is a rough idea of what I could use.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Endeavor
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock

Setup Pokémon.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sweeper + Heat Wave.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Late game sweeper.

Tapu Koko @ Air Balloon
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Landorus Killer

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick

Tapu-Koko Synergy / Sweeper

Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Explosion

Physical Support / Special Wall / Dark Type killer

Not the greatest team.
Would probably swap out Tapu-Koko for a Greninja, Hawlucha for a Tapu-Lele and Gigalith for Eelectross if I needed to change anything.
Also, I would consider giving Porygon-Z Psyshock

Last edited:
Years
Run shuca berry on koko and thunderbolt over wild charge and volt switch over dazzling gleam.
If you are planning on running Heavy offense i want to recommend though that you use something like landorus T as your suicide lead instead of infernape. Infernape can be important in taking out steels mid game and losses at lead to greninja unless you run mach punch. i would also replace Gigalith it does not do anything for the team.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Run shuca berry on koko and thunderbolt over wild charge and volt switch over dazzling gleam.
If you are planning on running Heavy offense i want to recommend though that you use something like landorus T as your suicide lead instead of infernape. Infernape can be important in taking out steels mid game and losses at lead to greninja unless you run mach punch. i would also replace Gigalith it does not do anything for the team.

I'd rather not use Landorus. I feel as though its x4 weakness to ice makes it easy to counter. As you said, if my opponent sends out a Greninja first, my Pokémon is dead (Then I have to deal with an Ash-Greninja). Landorus or not. Difference is, Infernape can at the very least round it's HP to 1 with Endeavor.
Will definitely try and run Vacuum Wave over Fake Out.
I agree that Gigalith doesn't do much. I really only put him in there to take out special attackers. If I were to swap him out, I would probably replace him with this:

Nidoking (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

It has just enough speed to take out Mega-Lopunny (one stat point more) while using the remaining EV's to make it bulkier.

Thoughts?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd rather not use Landorus. I feel as though its x4 weakness to ice makes it easy to counter. As you said, if my opponent sends out a Greninja first, my Pokémon is dead (Then I have to deal with an Ash-Greninja). Landorus or not. Difference is, Infernape can at the very least round it's HP to 1 with Endeavor.
Will definitely try and run Vacuum Wave over Fake Out.
I agree that Gigalith doesn't do much. I really only put him in there to take out special attackers. If I were to swap him out, I would probably replace him with this:

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

It has just enough speed to take out Mega-Lopunny (one stat point more) while using the remaining EV's to make it bulkier.

Thoughts?
Just because a Pokemon has a 4x weakness to a common type doesn't mean you should shy away from it. If you can predict when a Water/Ice Pokemon is going to come in on Landorus, just switch it out to a teammate. Landorus isn't meant to do everything by itself; that's why you have 5 other teammates to help it. Therian Landorus is the most used Pokemon in OU for a reason: its versatility.

Just pointing this out, (Mega) Tyranitar makes a better Sand Stream user than Gigalith because of its wider move pool.

Porygon-Z doesn't need Tri Attack because 99% of the time, you're using the Normalium Z on Conversion to give it +1 to all its stats.

Hawlucha doesn't need maximum Speed when paired with a terrain seed. 124 Speed EVs let it outspeed threats up to Sand Rush Excadrill under sand post-Unburden.

Azelf makes a better Stealth Rock suicide lead because it has Explosion to bring in frail attackers safely while causing massive damage to non-Ghost/Rock/Steel Pokemon.

That being said, Nidoking is rather niche, but it can work.

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Just because a Pokemon has a 4x weakness to a common type doesn't mean you should shy away from it. If you can predict when a Water/Ice Pokemon is going to come in on Landorus, just switch it out to a teammate. Landorus isn't meant to do everything by itself; that's why you have 5 other teammates to help it. Therian Landorus is the most used Pokemon in OU for a reason: its versatility.

Just pointing this out, (Mega) Tyranitar makes a better Sand Stream user than Gigalith because of its wider move pool.

Porygon-Z doesn't need Tri Attack because 99% of the time, you're using the Normalium Z on Conversion to give it +1 to all its stats.

Hawlucha doesn't need maximum Speed when paired with a terrain seed. 124 Speed EVs let it outspeed threats up to Sand Rush Excadrill under sand post-Unburden.

Azelf makes a better Stealth Rock suicide lead because it has Explosion to bring in frail attackers safely while causing massive damage to non-Ghost/Rock/Steel Pokemon.

That being said, Nidoking is rather niche, but it can work.

Yeah, Landorus isn't bad because of the x4 weakness to ice, nor its versatility. I don't use it due to the sheer number of OU Pokémon that can counter it. Especially with Hidden Power-Ice on the rise, it seems to become more and more risky to run. So in a sense, I was wrong. Ice does make me avoid the Pokémon.
I run Infernape over Landorus, Ferrowthorn, Alolan-Ninetales, etc. due to its role.
'Suicidal leads' have become nothing more than glorified tanks, therefore a Pokémon that can take out a vast majority of them would be helpful. This especially helps if that Pokémon could also setup when needed, eg. with Stealth Rock. Infernape takes advantage of Pokémon lowering its health with Blaze and Overheat. If the player using Infernape knows taking out the opponents Pokémon is not a possibility, Endeavor can at the very least give the enemy 1HP to work with. Assuming the Stealth Rock setup was successful, this means they are guaranteed the enemy Pokémon is lost next turn. If not, Mach Punch can finish them, off.
Infernape has a place on this team for this reason.
I am not saying it is better than Landorus, just that Infernape works as a different strategy.

As for Porygon-Z, Download is not reliable. That's all there is to it.
I would rather have a Pokémon that is reliable most of the time compared to 'some' of the time. Besides, Porygon-Z using a move with 160 power (Tri-Attack = 80, + Adaptability = 160) shouldn't be considered 'bad' in the slightest. Porygon-Z wants to be using Tri-Attack as much as possible rather than the other moves anyway.

Gigalith is a wall. The Pokémon you mentioned you could swap out to shield Landorus from Water/Ice attacks, that's Gigalith. Incredible Sp.Def, decent Def and great HP means it can block just about anything. That's it's purpose.
I do agree however that its move pool is bad. That's why I could see the debate being made that Pokémon such as Mega-Tyranitar could be run over Gigalith

Hawlucha still needs work. I am fairly new to the Pokémon so I am going to be testing some sets during the week to see what needs improving. Instead of 120 EV's in Speed, I might try a little higher with 228. This way it can be at the very least fair against Pokémon with a base speed of 100. This is assuming I can't use its Unburden ability.

Last edited:
Years
Yeah, Landorus isn't bad because of the x4 weakness to ice, nor its versatility. I don't use it due to the sheer number of OU Pokémon that can counter it. Especially with Hidden Power-Ice on the rise, it seems to become more and more risky to run. So in a sense, I was wrong. Ice does make me avoid the Pokémon.
I run Infernape over Landorus, Ferrowthorn, Alolan-Ninetales, etc. due to its role.
'Suicidal leads' have become nothing more than glorified tanks, therefore a Pokémon that can take out a vast majority of them would be helpful. This especially helps if that Pokémon could also setup when needed, eg. with Stealth Rock. Infernape takes advantage of Pokémon lowering its health with Blaze and Overheat. If the player using Infernape knows taking out the opponents Pokémon is not a possibility, Endeavor can at the very least give the enemy 1HP to work with. Assuming the Stealth Rock setup was successful, this means they are guaranteed the enemy Pokémon is lost next turn. If not, Mach Punch can finish them, off.
Infernape has a place on this team for this reason.
I am not saying it is better than Landorus, just that Infernape works as a different strategy.

I wish to clear a few things up Landorus while it is beaten by a bunch of things checks/beats many others. landorus makes sure Zard X and zygarde cannot do whatever they want, it sets rocks pressuring Volcarona and zard Y, and it pressures just about any physical attacker there is bar Kyurem-B.

Also infernape is likely not as good in terms of what it really accomplishes compared to the mons you mentioned Landorus as a suicide lead aims to set up rocks and then either explode to kill a threat and gain momentum or switch out for later assuming that the sash is in tact. Ferrothorn primarily functions as a bulky pivot that takes advantage of its typing to force switches and set up spikes or leech seed. Alolan-Ninetails acts as a turn one (or two depending on matchup) means to get veil up in order to assist set-up sweepers. also the term "glorified sweepers" is not the correct term the point of a suicide lead is to get hazards up turn one reliably and effectively and keep them up like in Landorus's case Sets rocks then explodes to prevent defog or remove a key threat.
Same can be said in Landorus's case for Azelf.
Infernape on the other hand or in your case does not run fighting stab so it is walled by Heatran and any rock or water type which in Heatrans case gets up rocks anyway or just uses toxic on the switch or on Infernape. and if you run fighting coverage you will have to give up fake out or endeavor which allows other leads to deal with it better.

As for Porygon-Z, Download is not reliable. That's all there is to it.
I would rather have a Pokémon that is reliable most of the time compared to 'some' of the time. Besides, Porygon-Z using a move with 160 power (Tri-Attack = 80, + Adaptability = 160) shouldn't be considered 'bad' in the slightest. Porygon-Z wants to be using Tri-Attack as much as possible rather than the other moves anyway.

As for porygon, when you use Z-conversion porygon changes its typing to the first move in its move slot making tri-attack null on adaptability and normal as a typing does not do much in wall breaking. that is what PD is trying to say here. Also a one time boost to tri-attack or a +1 in all stats + adaptability on a different move is something that i believe needs to be considered.

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

Nidoking functions better as a wallbreaker with Sheer Force + Life orb or sash in some rare instances in my opinion. Scarf Nidoking does not outspeed or kill many of the threats in the metagame ( weakened Nido is beaten by Water shuriken, outsped by any scarfer above 90 base speed which is just about everything in the tier that can be scarfed) and when running a mon with a scarf it is important to run Max Speed.

Gigalith is a wall. The Pokémon you mentioned you could swap out to shield Landorus from Water/Ice attacks, that's Gigalith. Incredible Sp.Def, decent Def and great HP means it can block just about anything. That's it's purpose.
I respectfully disagree, Gigalith cannot block almost anything. I understand that you are exaggerating on it's bulk but it has no reliable recovery to start, it losses to both Greninja and kartana both of which are huge threats in the metagame right now and can dismantle your team if they do happen to kill it. it has very little resistances and immunities being weak to quite a few common offensive typings in the game Grass, Water, ground,Steel,fighting. A good wall does not have to have great defenses look at a mon like gastrodon it has pitiful defenses (not including HP) but it has a really good typing and ability to make really good as a wall. As a side note TTar runs into the exact same problems.

Apologies for the wall of explanations but i felt as to if i needed to explain a few things quickly so i may have left out a few things in my explanations

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
I wish to clear a few things up Landorus while it is beaten by a bunch of things checks/beats many others. landorus makes sure Zard X and zygarde cannot do whatever they want, it sets rocks pressuring Volcarona and zard Y, and it pressures just about any physical attacker there is bar Kyurem-B.

Also infernape is likely not as good in terms of what it really accomplishes compared to the mons you mentioned Landorus as a suicide lead aims to set up rocks and then either explode to kill a threat and gain momentum or switch out for later assuming that the sash is in tact. Ferrothorn primarily functions as a bulky pivot that takes advantage of its typing to force switches and set up spikes or leech seed. Alolan-Ninetails acts as a turn one (or two depending on matchup) means to get veil up in order to assist set-up sweepers. also the term "glorified sweepers" is not the correct term the point of a suicide lead is to get hazards up turn one reliably and effectively and keep them up like in Landorus's case Sets rocks then explodes to prevent defog or remove a key threat.
Same can be said in Landorus's case for Azelf.
Infernape on the other hand or in your case does not run fighting stab so it is walled by Heatran and any rock or water type which in Heatrans case gets up rocks anyway or just uses toxic on the switch or on Infernape. and if you run fighting coverage you will have to give up fake out or endeavor which allows other leads to deal with it better.

As for porygon, when you use Z-conversion porygon changes its typing to the first move in its move slot making tri-attack null on adaptability and normal as a typing does not do much in wall breaking. that is what PD is trying to say here. Also a one time boost to tri-attack or a +1 in all stats + adaptability on a different move is something that i believe needs to be considered.

Nidoking functions better as a wallbreaker with Sheer Force + Life orb or sash in some rare instances in my opinion. Scarf Nidoking does not outspeed or kill many of the threats in the metagame ( weakened Nido is beaten by Water shuriken, outsped by any scarfer above 90 base speed which is just about everything in the tier that can be scarfed) and when running a mon with a scarf it is important to run Max Speed.

I respectfully disagree, Gigalith cannot block almost anything. I understand that you are exaggerating on it's bulk but it has no reliable recovery to start, it losses to both Greninja and kartana both of which are huge threats in the metagame right now and can dismantle your team if they do happen to kill it. it has very little resistances and immunities being weak to quite a few common offensive typings in the game Grass, Water, ground,Steel,fighting. A good wall does not have to have great defenses look at a mon like gastrodon it has pitiful defenses (not including HP) but it has a really good typing and ability to make really good as a wall. As a side note TTar runs into the exact same problems.

Apologies for the wall of explanations but i felt as to if i needed to explain a few things quickly so i may have left out a few things in my explanations

First off, don't worry about the block text. I am guilty of doing it also.

Secondly, I'd like to admit where was wrong/where I could have been more clear:

- I admit that Porygon-Z doesn't benefit from Tri Attack. In all honesty, I forgot that it changed typing.

- Also I feel as if I could been more clear with Gigalith. When I say it can block just about anything, I am referring to this set that I posted earlier:

Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

This set is not great, I know. The set however is only used for two purposes. Its either for tanking a hit from the enemy or to take out threats such as Mega-Lopunny, Greninja and most Special Attackers. A standard Gigalith set (252 in HP, 252 in Atk, leftovers) cannot withstand what this set can.
My set is a literal wall. It's good defensively, not so much offensively.

- As a side not, I agree that my Nidoking set needs work. I am still new to the Pokémon so I still need to refine my set for it.

Now for Infernape.
I believe I mentioned in an earlier reply that I had swapped Fake Out for Vacuum Wave. On your part, this was great advice as I do agree that Vacuum Wave works far better with this Pokémon.
I would disagree however that Landorus, Ferrowthorn and Alolan-Ninetales are the better. The term I used, "Glorified Tanks" (Not "glorified sweepers") was to express how setup Pokémon such as the three mentioned are no longer used as their title states, 'suicidal leads'. They are now just another Pokémon to protect.
I believe each setup Pokémon works well in it's own way. However as you mentioned, Landorus and the other need to swap out if something can KO your Pokémon turn one. This shouldn't be the case as suicidal leads in past have always been disposable. They were designed so the team could fair fine without it. It seems as though teams are relying too much on these 'suicidal leads' these days.
Anyway, bottom line is that each 'suicidal' lead has it's own benefits. I may choose to use Infernape, you may choose to use Landorus/Alolan-Ninetales/Ferrowthorn, they all work well in one way or another.
Infernape is used the way I use it so I can deal with early game sweepers/tanks. I realise the set isn't perfect, however that's why I use it. To find out what needs to improved upon.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
First off, don't worry about the block text. I am guilty of doing it also.

Secondly, I'd like to admit where was wrong/where I could have been more clear:

- I admit that Porygon-Z doesn't benefit from Tri Attack. In all honesty, I forgot that it changed typing.

- Also I feel as if I could been more clear with Gigalith. When I say it can block just about anything, I am referring to this set that I posted earlier:

Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

This set is not great, I know. The set however is only used for two purposes. Its either for tanking a hit from the enemy or to take out threats such as Mega-Lopunny, Greninja and most Special Attackers. A standard Gigalith set (252 in HP, 252 in Atk, leftovers) cannot withstand what this set can.

- As a side not, I agree that my Nidoking set needs work. I am still new to the Pokémon so I still need to refine my set for it.

Now for Infernape.
I believe I mentioned in an earlier reply that I had swapped Fake Out for Vacuum Wave. On your part, this was great advice as I do agree that Vacuum Wave works far better with this Pokémon.
I would disagree however that Landorus, Ferrowthorn and Alolan-Ninetales are the better. The term I used, "Glorified Tanks" (Not "glorified sweepers") was to express how setup Pokémon such as the three mentioned are no longer used as their title states, 'suicidal leads'. They are now just another Pokémon to protect.
I believe each setup Pokémon works well in it's own way. However as you mentioned, Landorus and the other need to swap out if something can KO your Pokémon turn one. This shouldn't be the case as suicidal leads in past have always been disposable. They were designed so the team could fair fine without it. It seems as though teams are relying too much on these 'suicidal leads' these days.
Anyway, bottom line is that each 'suicidal' lead has it's own benefits. I may choose to use Infernape, you may choose to use Landorus/Alolan-Ninetales/Ferrowthorn, they all work well in one way or another.
Infernape is used the way I use it so I can deal with early game sweepers/tanks. I realise the set isn't perfect, however that's why I use it. To find out what needs to improved upon.

Tyranitar is a better Assault Vest user than Gigalith because it has better special bulk, even outside of sandstorms, as well as a much better move pool. Even then, Tyranitar has better items to run, namely Choice Band or its Mega Stone. AV Tyranitar was the best check to Naganadel when it was rampant in OU, but has fallen off since then.

What does Infernape offer that other suicide leads don't aside from Endeavor + Vacuum Wave? The prevalence of Tyranitar makes this strategy difficult to do because sandstorm will either render Focus Sash useless or KO Infernape after it's been used. Ferrothorn doesn't even count as a suicide lead because it has immense bulk on both ends and can come in and out repeatedly throughout a match. Alolan Ninetales doesn't count either because it generally invests in bulk and Aurora Veil also buffs its own defenses.

Last edited:
Years
Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

I will respect your decision to use any mon that you desire for any purpose you desire, however I am certain that Gigalith is outclassed by other mons that can hold the Assault Vest and all of the mons that do outclass it can handle Greninja really well and while Hydro Pump is a potential 3-2HKO it gets worn down by switching in and out into it.. One thing that i do wish to bring up when you say that helps with mons Like mega Lopunny is that Gigalith does not deal with it well or many physical attackers for that matter.

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 236-278 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 320-380 (85.5 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 350-414 (93.5 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
couple this with fake out and it cannot do much against it.

It also loses out or takes quite a bit of damage from physical attackers as well.
I would like to suggest perhaps trying out AV Tapu Bulu. it checks many common threats that Gigalith cannot and gives your team passive healing and grounded mons resistance to earthquake. if you wanted to you could run them both in tandem but the lopunny matchup remains the same, but you have Hawlucha that can remove that Late game as well. Bulu could also team up well with Magearna which checks Greninja. Clefable is another option albeit more or less passive as well if you want something to stop Lopunny.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Tyranitar is a better Assault Vest user than Gigalith because it has better special bulk, even outside of sandstorms, as well as a much better move pool. Even then, Tyranitar has better items to run, namely Choice Band or its Mega Stone. AV Tyranitar was the best check to Naganadel when it was rampant in OU, but has fallen off since then.

What does Infernape offer that other suicide leads don't aside from Endeavor + Vacuum Wave? The prevalence of Tyranitar makes this strategy difficult to do because sandstorm will either render Focus Sash useless or KO Infernape after it's been used. Ferrothorn doesn't even count as a suicide lead because it has immense bulk on both ends and can come in and out repeatedly throughout a match. Alolan Ninetales doesn't count either because it generally invests in bulk and Aurora Veil also buffs its own defenses.

Infernape offers exactly what you mentioned. Endeavor/Vacuum Wave. As far as I am aware, no other setup Pokémon in UU or OU uses this strategy as it is similar to that of a FEAR set.

Also I would describe 'suicidal lead' as a Pokémon that fulfils it's purpose by setting up, (eg. Stealth Rock) after which it can do whatever it want. For Instance, a Ferrowthorn setting up Stealth Rock then Spikes until it's untimely KO. The Stealth Rock Was necessary so it went for that first, the Spikes however were used purely to get some extra damage out. Its goal from the start was to setup, after that it can do whatever (in most cases, die).
As for Alolan-Ninetales, the usual sets this Pokémon runs are almost never bulky. 248 in HP and 252 in Speed, that's what it runs most commonly. It is too frail to be classified as a 'tank' as any OU/UU physical steel type can one shot it, Aurora Veil or not.
Each Pokémon has it's downsides.

Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

I will respect your decision to use any mon that you desire for any purpose you desire, however I am certain that Gigalith is outclassed by other mons that can hold the Assault Vest and all of the mons that do outclass it can handle Greninja really well and while Hydro Pump is a potential 3-2HKO it gets worn down by switching in and out into it.. One thing that i do wish to bring up when you say that helps with mons Like mega Lopunny is that Gigalith does not deal with it well or many physical attackers for that matter.

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 236-278 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 320-380 (85.5 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 350-414 (93.5 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
couple this with fake out and it cannot do much against it.

It also loses out or takes quite a bit of damage from physical attackers as well.
I would like to suggest perhaps trying out AV Tapu Bulu. it checks many common threats that Gigalith cannot and gives your team passive healing and grounded mons resistance to earthquake. if you wanted to you could run them both in tandem but the lopunny matchup remains the same, but you have Hawlucha that can remove that Late game as well. Bulu could also team up well with Magearna which checks Greninja. Clefable is another option albeit more or less passive as well if you want something to stop Lopunny.

I believe I mentioned that I only used the set due to it being a wall. I do not expect it to work as well as say a Gastrodon. It's merely a disposable Pokémon that can be splashed into a team. If I use it, I intend to replace it with something that benefits the newly formed team first. The set isn't good, I keep mentioning that.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Infernape offers exactly what you mentioned. Endeavor/Vacuum Wave. As far as I am aware, no other setup Pokémon in UU or OU uses this strategy as it is similar to that of a FEAR set.

Also I would describe 'suicidal lead' as a Pokémon that fulfils it's purpose by setting up, (eg. Stealth Rock) after which it can do whatever it want. For Instance, a Ferrowthorn setting up Stealth Rock then Spikes until it's untimely KO. The Stealth Rock Was necessary so it went for that first, the Spikes however were used purely to get some extra damage out. Its goal from the start was to setup, after that it can do whatever (in most cases, die).
As for Alolan-Ninetales, the usual sets this Pokémon runs are almost never bulky. 248 in HP and 252 in Speed, that's what it runs most commonly. It is too frail to be classified as a 'tank' as any OU/UU physical steel type can one shot it, Aurora Veil or not.
Each Pokémon has it's downsides.
Endeavor + priority is easily played around, making it a not very viable strategy. These include Sand Stream from Tyranitar and Snow Warning from Alolan Ninetales to make Focus Sash useless or the ubiquity of Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge blocking priority attacks. I just don't see that particular strategy working out in OU

You missed the point of suicide leads. A suicide lead usually gets taken out, whether it's by an opposing attack or when the lead itself uses Explosion or Memento, after it sets up hazards. In the case of the latter, this is done to prevent the hazards from being removed by Rapid Spin or Defog. Suicide leads generally focus on setting up a field condition and sometimes prevent the other side from doing the same. This thread is really old, but it should give you a clearer definition on what suicide leads are: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/on-suicide-leads.44070/

Ferrothorn (that's how you spell it) doesn't use Stealth Rock and Spikes together because it needs its other support options in Leech Seed and possibly Knock Off, as well as its STABs in Power Whip and/or Gyro Ball. These are the standard moves it runs:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Knock Off/Protect
Nature: Sassy/Careful/Relaxed/Impish
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD or 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs

Ferrothorn just doesn't have space for both entry hazards; the one that's being used is team-dependent. It likes its other support options.

Out of curiosity, why are you italicizing the Pokemon and move names? That's just unnecessary.

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Endeavor + priority is easily played around, making it a not very viable strategy. These include Sand Stream from Tyranitar and Snow Warning from Alolan Ninetales to make Focus Sash useless or the ubiquity of Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge blocking priority attacks. I just don't see that particular strategy working out in OU

You missed the point of suicide leads. A suicide lead usually gets taken out, whether it's by an opposing attack or when the lead itself uses Explosion or Memento, after it sets up hazards. In the case of the latter, this is done to prevent the hazards from being removed by Rapid Spin or Defog. Suicide leads generally focus on setting up a field condition and sometimes prevent the other side from doing the same. This thread is really old, but it should give you a clearer definition on what suicide leads are: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/on-suicide-leads.44070/

Ferrothorn (that's how you spell it) doesn't use Stealth Rock and Spikes together because it needs its other support options in Leech Seed and possibly Knock Off, as well as its STABs in Power Whip and/or Gyro Ball. These are the standard moves it runs:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Knock Off/Protect
Nature: Sassy/Careful/Relaxed/Impish
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD or 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpD
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs

Ferrothorn just doesn't have space for both entry hazards; the one that's being used is team-dependent. It likes its other support options.

Out of curiosity, why are you italicizing the Pokémon and move names? That's just unnecessary.

The Infernaope set I use does not rely on the Endeavor/Vacuum Wave combo. I use that when the opponent is sure to out speed me or if I am low on health. In any case, Overheat is used far more frequently as it allows me deal some decent damage more consistently
Even so, I'm done trying to justify the set. It's like explaining sound to a deaf person.

Also thanks for the link. I guess I had the wrong idea of a suicidal lead.

Oh and I italicize Pokémon names/moves/abilities because its easier to edit (editing grammar/spelling/separating paragraphs/etc).

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The Infernaope set I use does not rely on the Endeavor/Vacuum Wave combo. I use that when the opponent is sure to out speed me or if I am low on health. In any case, Overheat is used far more frequently as it allows me deal some decent damage more consistently
Even so, I'm done trying to justify the set. It's like explaining sound to a deaf person.

Also thanks for the link. I guess I had the wrong idea of a suicidal lead.

Oh and I italicize Pokémon names/moves/abilities because its easier to edit (editing grammar/spelling/separating paragraphs/etc).

Just use Azelf or Therian Landorus as a suicide lead instead. Both have Explosion to deny Rapid Spin/Defog and gets frail attackers in safely. The latter can apply offensive pressure on slower walls with Swords Dance-boosted Earthquakes. This is what gives the nod over Infernape. Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain blocks Vacuum Wave on grounded targets and all the viable floaters/fliers in OU resist it. Overheat gets weaker the more you use it, making Infernape setup bait for other Pokemon and forcing it to switch out. This is why I don't like Infernape as a suicide lead in OU. You need to understand metagame trends before coming up with your own sets.

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Just use Azelf or Therian Landorus as a suicide lead instead. Both have Explosion to deny Rapid Spin/Defog and gets frail attackers in safely. The latter can apply offensive pressure on slower walls with Swords Dance-boosted Earthquakes. This is what gives the nod over Infernape. Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain blocks Vacuum Wave on grounded targets and all the viable floaters/fliers in OU resist it. Overheat gets weaker the more you use it, making Infernape setup bait for other Pokemon and forcing it to switch out. This is why I don't like Infernape as a suicide lead in OU. You need to understand metagame trends before coming up with your own sets.

I designed the set after playing against the meta.
That's all there is too it.
I shouldn't have to explain the set any more than I have.
Just use the set yourself, that should at the very least show you why/why not to use it.

Last edited:
Back