• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding more moves to a Pokémon's learn set.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2023
    I am working on a rom hack for myself to spice up my Pokémon gameplay, and that includes a bunch of QOL changes, like buffing bad Pokémon, changing types/abilities, giving some Pokémon new moves, etc. While I was working on editing the level up learn sets, I got an error in wsl when trying to make the rom, that (I believe) said there was an error on the last line (it read " }; "). I had made a back up folder though, and I replaced this level_up_learnsets.h. I just started editing it again, because I believe I found the issue, but I want to see if there is a way around it. I'm pretty sure that it will give me that error if I add any new lines of text when attempting to add new moves. To test this theory out, I edited the first 3 learn sets on the list, this time without adding any other lines and simply replacing level up moves with other moves, and I didn't get an error when making it. Now this is all a round about way of me asking: is there a way to add more moves to a Pokémon's learn set? Or would I have to resort to binary hacking for that?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I suspect the issue is that there was a typo in one of the newly added moves (maybe a missing comma or bracket or something) which caused the error. To add new moves to a level up learnset all you have to do is add them in in the same format as the existing moves; just make sure they're within the curly braces for each mon and are followed by a comma.

So say you want to add a new move to Caterpie, and its existing learnset is:
    Code:
    static const struct LevelUpMove sCaterpieLevelUpLearnset[] = {
        LEVEL_UP_MOVE( 1, MOVE_TACKLE),
        LEVEL_UP_MOVE( 1, MOVE_STRING_SHOT),
        LEVEL_UP_END
    };
    All you have to do is:
    Code:
    static const struct LevelUpMove sCaterpieLevelUpLearnset[] = {
        LEVEL_UP_MOVE( 1, MOVE_TACKLE),
        LEVEL_UP_MOVE( 1, MOVE_STRING_SHOT),
        LEVEL_UP_MOVE( 5, MOVE_EXPLOSION),
        LEVEL_UP_END
    };

Also I'd highly recommend that you use git to manage backups, there's no need to backup the entire project like you would in binary. Even GitHub desktop will work, it can do most of the important functions via a nice GUI which makes it a little more beginner friendly.

Back