• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Essentials Documentation Improvement

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    My Pokemon Essentials has been released for almost a whole year now and it's clearly successful. However, I need feedback on improving its documentation. I've decided to make it a new topic because it's rather important.

As you can see I've made incremental changes to the documentation to make it cover practically every aspect of using my kit. However, I'd like your suggestions on making it better, perhaps by explaining where documentation is missing, some new ways of using Pokemon Essentials that you've discovered, suggestions on customizing scripts, and other things.

I await your feedback.

WhippedCream

Greenhorn Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2009
    Hey poccil. Your starter kit is amazingly helpful to a lot of people, but I'm not one of them. I'm not some sort of pro at this, but I can't script... yet I want my game to have D/P sprites, graphics and tiles.

Do you think you can upgrade the starter kit utilizing D/P game sprites? If I knew how to rip sprites, I would, you know.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    This is a thread for improving the documentation for Pokemon Essentials, not for making feature requests. I have no plans to make such an update.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    I did not mean to be rude, sorry.

Now, I would like all visitors of this thread to read my documentation and say here what parts of it could be improved.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Such as common mistakes a developer will make that will cause errors to occur in the game, such as placing the starting position on a map other than the intro, which is a mistake a friend of mine made several days ago.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    Oh, I see. Can you think of any other such mistakes? It sounds interesting.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Hmmm... I think the best place to look for those would be your other topic, just look for errors which occur frequently, it shouldn't be hard, it seems like most problems are posted multiple times because they can't hit the 'Search' button...

Demonic Budha

semi-good RMXPer (not script)
    Years
  • Poccil, another such question to add to a FAQ section would be the "How do you change the starting/opening" We seem to get that question in the ESK thread atleast once a week.
    Also, i know this is ALREADY in the Demo Maps, but we commonly get people asking "how do i set up a PokeMart" or "How do i change to a regional dex" Just simple questions like this, that you could add a small section with just a bit of info, and even a direction on WHERE to find it (as in my experiance took me a bit to find the demo Mart guy :P)
    I will go over the Doc tonight, and hopefully give some better input then.

partyghoul2000

Intermediate Game Designer
    Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    personally, i believe there should be an advanced script section for further customization of the game such as adding pokeballs & their variables, more than 4 player metadata, adding/subtracting pockets to the bag, how to add terrain tags, add more weather effects and so forth. i kno a few of these have been posted in the topic, but it'd be nice to see htem in the notes.html

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I also started on a custom moves tutorial a while ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to finish it. However, when I do finish it, perhaps it could be added to the "advanced script" section that partyghoul suggested?

Nero9121

Fire Maker
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2008
    what about making it into an mmorpg...I really want to....like help with server set up because when I set it up it doesnt work for me

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    Today I've moved some of the documentation regarding scripts and configuration to a new "advanced topics" file, so that beginning users need not be familiar with those topics in order to get started. I normally don't document such features as adding more pockets to the Bag, since they require non-trivial changes to some scripts.

Also, the "online trade system" is unsupported, it is very difficult to test such a system without a different server than the one available. Programmers who want to build a server compatible with the "online trade system" should follow the protocol that comes with Pokemon Essentials.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I think that it would be useful if you could make a list of all of the function codes for moves in Essentials. The link in the notes.html returns a 404 Error.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Oh yes, I must also ask this question (not too sure if it's really revelant).

Has anyone at all have all of the D/P moves implemented? I was thinking of using them in my own game, and I couldn't be bothered typing out all those moves myself if someone else has already done it :P

Back