• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First time spriter - seeks constructive criticism

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Hi, i recently tried to do some scratch spriting with the idea of making fakemon, and failed miserably. So, i decided to do some fairly basic fusion spriting instead, and here are the results so far! Please, give me some constructive criticism!

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2010
    some veeery creative fusions :3~ i havent seen any this original and quirky in a loong long time :3the pidgey/weedle is my favoirte :3 the the slowpoke/raichu.
    the tail on the caterpie one.. the one most behind it, has a dodgy side, pad it out/round it a bit. and y'know, other than that~ they look fab t'me~
    :3 you seem to have masterd this, so what i reccommend you do is make fusions, with eidts that you scracthed on there to enhance the fusions, it beings you in to scracthing nice and smoothly :3
    well done~ good luck~ and keep up with the awesome work~ :3

Bakun

Not active here.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    Hi, i recently tried to do some scratch spriting with the idea of making fakemon, and failed miserably. So, i decided to do some fairly basic fusion spriting instead, and here are the results so far! Please, give me some constructive criticism!

Good to be a first-time spriter, but they could need some improvement.

First of all, never c+p heads onto other sprites, like that Aerodactyl+Lapras sprite. Instead try using some of the features on Aerodactyl and out them onto Lapras, like Aero's teeth and horns, and maybe the eyes too.

Also, always remember to colour the outlines on your sprites when recolouring them. I see you didn't do that on your Slowpoke sprites mouth outline.

When flipping your sprites (Like the feet on the Masquerine (sp?)) Always recolour them to match the light source. The light source on Pokémon sprites are always on the top left, even at back sprites (Only for RSE, FR/LF, GSC and RBYG, though. DP backsprites light source comes from the front.)

Other than that, nice work :]

Oh, and some

Basic things to remember:
    -Save as PNG.
    -Don't use Paint default colours, they hurt your eyes. You should rather use custom (Not bright) colours or colours from the DP or RSE/FR/LF game sprites.
    -Don't resize.
    -The light source is always from the top-left front.

Things to remember:
    -80x80 is the max limit of DP sprites, 64x64 for FR/LF and RSE ;) 56x56 for GSC and RBYG
    -Don't have jaggy outlines, by that I mean, no double pixels, and no making the outlines look like stairs. Smoothen them to make them look round if it's a round object.
    -Only use 16 colours (Or was it 18?). That's the max of DP sprites. I'm not sure of RSE and such, though. RBYG and GSC has only 4 colours: black, white and two main colours.
    -Zoom out sometimes to check if the sprite looks right, and always have on 8x zoom when you're spriting.

I'm not saying you did those mistakes, I'm just trying to help you and stuff :]

obLonG

Now for half price!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2012
    Pretty darn good,but as aviator maz said you need to fix up the details a bit like the tail on the Charmander+Caterpie fusion.

Back