• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GDW Issue 4

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

Game Developer Weekly

A letter from the Editor
    By Yuoaman

This letter will be quite a bit shorter than others previously posted by h POKE, mainly because I couldn't form any coherent thoughts to articulate. So my little letter is basically going to be my introduction, though feel free to skip it, it's not necessary, or even relevant, to the rest of the issue.

Hello. I am Yuoaman, and I will be the editor of GDW until h POKE sees fit to return to us, which could be quite a while. I am quite literate, and hopefully my future letters will be more enthralling, and consist of more than a few paltry sentences. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the new issue, and be sure to post!

Articles

What's new in Game Development?
    by PyroYahtzee
    Spoiler:

Reviews

Review of the graphics of Pokemon Malachite by Riceeman

Spoiler:

Interviews

Interview with blueguy by Yuoaman

Spoiler:

Protip(s) of the Week

Recording Your Game with Hypercam
    by PyroYahtzee
    Spoiler:

Making a Better Villain
    by Guardian @ www.picceta.com
    Spoiler:

Contact Us
    Well, that's it for this week. I know it's a little smaller than you might have expected, but that's mainly because of standardized testing (excuse of the week). Sorry! Feel free to comment on anything you like: just don't flame me for my reviews (as I said earlier), and don't start any arguments.

Cheers,
    The GD Crew
    h POKE (on hiatus)
    Yuoaman
    PyroYahtzee
    riceeman

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    As what is becoming a custom for me know, I look forward to reading this as part of my Friday activities on the net.
    I'll comment as I read.

PyroYahtzee, thanks for the big congrats. I hope I have all your support, and thanks to everyone who showed it. I also like how you mentioned The Hoenn Project. I think that game deserves a bit more attention. If he could get an experienced scritper to help him out, that game will fly along.

Yuoaman, I liked your interview with Blueguy. I laughed when I read the "controversy on P.E" question. It was nice to see you fish for an opinion on it. Blueguy also came across well with his answers. I would of liked more questions and a bit of a better ending question :P - That last remark was a joke of course.

PyroYahtzee adding in the tip to use Hypercam was unexpected. I use Snagit 9 for my videos, but I was having audio capturing problems with it, so I'll be giving Hypercam a shot when it comes to taking videos for Protectors.
    I think with the embedded youtube support, video media will become more common, so again, that's why it was good to see a Hypercam tip, rather then a mapping or menu tutorial.

Guardian's evil guy tutorial was written very well and offered some tips.

Overall, one of the best written issues, but a bit lacking in more content (compared to older issues).
    As always, keep that news section in future issues, and maybe align the issue to the center of the page to make it look a big neater.

Good job.

Yuoaman

Years
    Thank you for your opinions and criticisms, they will always be welcome. And check back in the next couple of days, riceeman's review will be posted in an amendment soon, and from what I've seen thus far of it, it looks to be good.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    Great letter. Even though it was shorter I still think it was good.

Yuoaman

Years
    Just letting everyone know, the issue has been amended with Riceeman's review of the graphics of Malachite.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Ahaha to tackle my tiles, I hope he means my mmo game, because my sinnoh tiles are a bit dated (DP did come out 3 years ago).

All in a all great review, though it did seem to get a bit too personal to PokemonOI around the middle where he was referring to the fakemon sprites. Without any pictures it didnt mean much to me, and more like he was giving him 1:1 crit, not a public review.

Last edited:

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    yeah, I know. I was trying to steer away from that. Next review, i think i'll use pictures and explain things throuhg a bit more, and kinda explain sprites and stuff in more detials. Thanks for the comment.

And it MIGHT be your game.... ;)

Yuoaman

Years
    Thank you for the comments everyone! The next issue will probably be ready for a Thursday-Friday release! I hope you'll check it out when we do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    Thank you for the comments everyone! The next issue will probably be ready for a Thursday-Friday release! I hope you'll check it out when we do.
    Other then what I gave you, what should we expect for the next issue?

Yuoaman

Years
    I'm expecting to include, along with what you gave me: An interview with Neo-Dragon, a review of Ammolite, another "What's New" article, and possibly another article.

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    *applause*
    You have done well by the Newsletter. Kudos to you all.
    That doesn't mean I have enough time to come back yet, though. Probably sometime after 4th Quarter begins, if I'm lucky...

Anyways, "What's New" is a better way to phrase News and Announcements, so that's definitely good. There is, however, a caveat: the reason I took out that article for the third issue is because I (as well as AZ, when he still was here), didn't want this newsletter to become a "recap" of all the events that had happened during the week. People read this site, and hopefully (I use that tentatively) interpret what events do happen...

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Hey nice issue. Although HyperCam leaves a watermark so I prefer CamStudio which is free and opensource so it might be multi-platform. https://camstudio.org/
    Its what I use anyway.

BTW I love reading this.

Back