• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2022
    Original by Scizz; Edited for Game Development Forums
    This thread can be used to post a Mapshot of a Map you made for your Game made with any editors (RPG Maker XP, 2k3, Eclipse, ...)
    The Users then can rate your Maps on a scala from 1 (Worst) to 10 (Best), and give additionally information on what things to improve or to add.

The PokéCommunity rules, the Game Development forum rules, together with the following rules apply here:
    - Only Maps and ratings.
    You are only allowed to post Maps you want to have rated or ratings for Maps that have been posted. Do not ask questions about Maps, instead, send a PM to the Map-Maker or a Moderator.

- No stealing.
    Only post Maps for rating if you made them, do not steal any work of others and claim it as your own!

- No requests.
    Do not request Maps to be made for you! This thread is for rating only!

Now following is the structure, of how to post your Maps and how to rate Maps in this thread, which have to be followed.

Structure of Map postings

Map Name: The Name of your Map.

Map Editor: The Editor the Map has been made with. (RPG Maker XP, ...)

Comments: Your comments about your Map.

Mapshot:
    Map Rating Thread

Max. 400x400 pixel. If you have a larger Map, please post a Thumbnail with a link to the full size map. (Imageshack generates a clickable Thumbnail code for you , alternatively, you can attach the Map pictures to your post.)

Structure of Map ratings

Rated Map: Either Link or Quote the post of the Map you want to rate. That way everyone will know what map you are talking about.

Rating: Your rating of a Map on a scale from 1 to 10.

Reason: The reason for your rating.

Suggestions:
    Suggestions for what to add/change/improve on a Map.

Map Name:
    Untitled Town

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: Second "large" map made with Kyledove's Tiles. I'm working on new bridge tiles for the grey placeholders on the left.

Mapshot:

Map Rating Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
    Your map looks quite nice, keep up the good work!

I think you're supposed to use the map rating structure =x.

Original by Scizz; Edited for Game Development Forums

Map Name:
    Untitled Town

Comments: Second "large" map made with Kyledove's Tiles. I'm working on new bridge tiles for the grey placeholders on the left.

Mapshot:

Map Rating Thread

Rating: 8

Reason/suggestion: The map itself is looking good, but if you play in it on essentials(gba) small resolution, it will look plain because there a lot of it is or just grassland or just sand. Add a few more details next to the house on the middle of the map and also on the beach. You did a good work on the river ;p.

EDIT: Also, since the player will supposed be allowed to surf there, add more rocks, otherwise the player will get lost there xD.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2022
    Ok, thanks for the tips. ;)
    I'll sprite more detailed objects like benches parasols etc. :P

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    You're missing a bridge, but you probably know that.

Your cliffsides could stand to be improved. It's particularly noticeable on the centre right hill. Specifically, the tops of them fill in the blank space that isn't cliff with a light brown, making the tops of cliffs very blocky. You can clearly see it with inside corner pieces with sand above them (a huge brown square separates the cliff from the sand).

As always with maps, there's the matter of scale. How much of a map are you going to be able to see at any one moment? Seven squares either side, ten, fifteen? Maps like this would suit a larger viewport where you can see more of the map at once, but if you make a small viewport for it you run the risk of perceived lack of detail. It may look good as a whole, but take an approriately-sized viewport to it and see how cluttered/sparse the map will look in-game.

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
    Come on guys, lets get this thread active!

Map Name:
    Still untitled :P

Comments: Credit to, Esmas, S.D.K, kyledove and alistar for the tiles.
    Well this town is hidden in the forest, you'll find out why it's hidden when I unveal the game :P
    Ignore the bushes and the house tiles, I'm making new ones.
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating Thread

I focused on Playability, I figure if i was the player, I would hate going through a maze.

Map Name: Dusk Pass

Comments: credit to Esmas, rhaevre_duh, kyledove and Alistar for the tiles.

Mapshot:
    Map Rating Thread

Waudby

Personally, i think that the tiles on the map don't fit together as well as they should, the colours seem to not complement each other at all and make things stand out way too much.

As for the designs of the maps themselves, they seem pretty sound. Well done. Just fix the tiles colours and they will be even better.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited:

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    i agree this is worth getting stickied

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    We have thought about a sticky map rating thread for awhile.
    I think there is too many stick threads at the moment lol.
    But if more and more maps are posted- I'll let Avatar decide to sticky it or not.

Roconza

Crazy girl say wha?
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Rating: 8.5/10

Opinions on design: I like the use of big and small trees here. I'm not sure what the space on the bottom left hand corner is for but it seem a lil empty even for a item spot. The river is also missing some surf blocking rocks

------------------------------------------
    Map Name: Test Map

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP, Kyledove's Tiles.

Comments: I'm not very good at map making and this is my first so I need some Critique

https://i42.tinypic.com/29lg2hf.jpg

We have thought about a sticky map rating thread for awhile.

We really do need one

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
    Rating: 8.5/10

Opinions on design: I like the use of big and small trees here. I'm not sure what the space on the bottom left hand corner is for but it seem a lil empty even for a item spot. The river is also missing some surf blocking rocks

------------------------------------------

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP, Kyledove's Tiles.

Comments: I'm not very good at map making and this is my first so I need some Critique

https://i42.tinypic.com/29lg2hf.jpg

We really do need one

Rating: 5.5/10

The city is looking good, but the route and the smaller town are looking boring and there are too much open space, if you playtest your game you will that it really lack in details and also the player would get lost on that emptiness ;p. For your first map it's really good, the only problem is that you still don't have idea of how it looks in playtest. You'll get used to it soon ^^ (btw, the city is good, no need to change it, maybe just add some small details..).

Edit: Like Amazing first map, you forgot to add rocks and limits on the sea, do it as well ;p.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    Tiles affect how good a map looks, so therefore tiles do have an impact on the Map's rating. You should just accept the comments and change the pallette of the details or the other things.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    I agree with riceeman.
    Tiles do matter.
    custom tiles will greatly influence your map's rating.

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
    I wasnt saying anything about the ratings I got, if you knew me you would know I accept crtisism easiliy, I'm just voicing my opinion that's all.

@Raconza
    The map's are pretty emtpy and a bit bland, try making using more of a variety of styles.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    We're not meant to be rating how nice its tiles look, we're rating a map on how the MAP looks. It's a MAP Rating thread, not a Tile/Palette rating thread. :\

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Here is my map.

Comments: Normal FR/LG Tilesets with some customes.

Map Rating Thread

Back