• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GDW Issue 5

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

GDW Issue 5

A letter from the Editor
    By Yuoaman
    First things first, I'd like to apologize for being a couple of weeks (and then some) late, a lot of things came up for all of this; I hope you enjoy the issue nonetheless. I'd also like to thank PyroYahtzee for giving me the topic for this iteration of "Letter from the Editor".

~~~
    What is a game developer? This may seem a simple thing to define, but as the Game Development community gets larger, and older, the definition slowly evolves with it. When I first joined the community, some four years ago, the Game Development section was scarcely populated, and there were perhaps a dozen or so dedicated developers. And all of these developers were, at least to my uneducated eyes, masters of the craft.

Nearly all of the games made by developers at this time were made without the assistance of Starter Kits, yet the best of them still had that polish that, even to this day, defines a great developer. The ones that come to mind immediately to me are the early projects of Neo-Dragon: Silk, Silk 2, and Digital Network. (I recommend that all aspiring Game Developers look them over for inspiration.) If you look, you'll see that developers at that period had most, if not all, of the skills required to make a full game, this is because they spent time playing with the program before rushing in for their first project, and took the time to learn the nuances of their chosen program. Thus I believe that the definition of a game developer four years ago was a person who had extensive knowledge of the program which they used, as well as original ideas for their game.

Today the definition of a game developer seems to have become much looser. This can be explained by the shift in the way games are developed now; it is only natural that a developer that has all the systems already planned for him will focus more on custom graphics for their project, rather than do both. This isn't saying that this is a bad thing. In my opinion, games are looking more beautiful than ever before, graphics-wise, and graphics are important to the overall experience.

Sincerely Yuoaman

(Note, written a week ago non-stop, so I can't vouch for how good it is.)

Articles

What's new in Game Development?
    by PyroYahtzee
    Spoiler:

Tanzanite Preview
    Spoiler:

Hints Galore?
    Spoiler:

Reviews

Nothing here this week, but there may just be something extra special for next week's issue...

Interviews

Interview with Neo Dragon by Yuoaman

Spoiler:

Pick of the Week

Pokemon Mercury by ryushin5
    Spoiler:

Protip of the Week

Avoiding Character Cliches
    by Guardian @ www.picceta.com
    Spoiler:

Contact Us
    Thank you for reading our little publication. You may have noticed that we again suffered from a lack of content, but school is really getting in the way. But I hope you'll continue reading despite that. Also, if any of you would like to write for GDW, whether it be a single article, or writing weekly, we would of course welcome you wholeheartedly.

Cheers,
    The GD Crew
    h POKE (on hiatus)
    Yuoaman
    PyroYahtzee
    riceeman (No content this issue)

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Good to see this is posted... AT LAST (jokes)
    I was looking forward to this issue and I enjoyed reading it.
    I enjoyed the interview and I hope it helps people get a better picture in their head of me and my ideas.
    The protip of the week is something that is a nice read and pretty handy I think.
    It's a shame to see content missing from 2 of you guys but I hope that both are still helping the other two. I would love to see some content of theirs in the future.

Yuoaman

Years
    Sorry for the double post, but I'd like to say that I've posted an amendment to the issue. I forgot to include the Tanzanite Preview initially. I also must apologize for Tanzanite's developers for not posting it when promised.

EDIT: Darn you Neo! You stole my double-post!
    And thanks for the compliment.

EDIT TWO: Just wanted to say I edited in the Logo of GDW, made by the talented riceeman.

Last edited:
    Years
    Good to see this is still running. :3

The "Avoiding character cliches" section bugs me, though: you strongly advocate that these characters are bad and you should avoid them at all costs, but really now? Tropes are not bad (and that site is awesome); they provide some degree of predictability, and a comfortable norm from where you may deviate, twist, or invert the general ideas as much as you want. This section also bugs me because you make no effort to connect it to Pokemon fangames, which would probably be a lot more helpful-- there aren't many "staff chicks" (that's the Princess to you) in Pokemon games, unless you count the Pokemon themselves. So... well, I dunno, I just think that section could be better thought out than "AVOID CLICHES ALWAYS GRAHHHH" as you have now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2012
    Sorry for the double post, but I'd like to say that I've posted an amendment to the issue. I forgot to include the Tanzanite Preview initially. I also must apologize for Tanzanite's developers for not posting it when promised.

EDIT: Darn you Neo! You stole my double-post!
    And thanks for the compliment.

EDIT TWO: Just wanted to say I edited in the Logo of GDW, made by the talented riceeman.

It's ok, you can post the full Info Page just for people that haven't seen it in the Tanzanite thread.

Yuoaman

Years
    Zephyr I didn't write the article, and it's just to help new people try more original ideas, and to expand beyond the norm.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    I forgot to comment on a bit of news I read, the map rating thread.
    I have gotten about 3/4 PMs since it was created asking me to sticky it. I talked it over with Avatar and really the sticky Screenshot Showcase would of served the same purpose. All you would have to do is "Rate my map <insert image> " in that thread lol.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
    The article is looking great, but my post here is a reply to what Neo just said. The screenshot showcase thread is abandoned, no one ever post there (few exceptions rarelly), I suggest deleting that thread since most people like to show their game screenshots on their own thread. After doing it, you could just stickify the map rating thread, seeing that it is much more useful.

Yuoaman

Years
    Not really, when you think about it, the Screenshot thread encompasses all screens, not just maps, so I think the Map Rating thread is the same as the Screenshot thread, just more focused.

Yuoaman

Years
    Sorry for the double post everyone, just wanted to let everyone know that an amendment has been made to the issue.

A new article can be found in the "Articles" section of the issue.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Is it the "Hints" section.
    I know what it is, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the community acts (or is it reacts :P).

Waudby actually said what it was is another thread and I think I only copped what it was. I then told him in his thread and I think he edited the post (although I haven't checked).
    Your guess of him and Riceeman collaborating is true (as Riceeman has made clear in the Odyssey thread).
    I said it to them on msn but I think that is a good pair and it would be nice to see more developers and artists team up.
    If both of them can form a good gameplay experience from their idea, they will have a lot of support.

Back