• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Turning Autoplay Off

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    In XP. It doesn't remember the settings for anything, just keeps defaulting to prompt.

Also the different protocall for games' autorun things (the menu that appears on the desktop when the disk is inserted and has various options like play game, browse CD et caetera), how can that be turned off?

On 2000 I remember all of this being a simple checkbox...

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Run > gpedit.msc > Local computer policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. Scroll down and there is an option to turn off autoplay, that should do it I think.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • This requires a bit of registry editing. I got the instructions here and here. These instructions are to disable Autorun functionality on any device type for a single user account; if you wish to only disable Autorun on a specific device, let me know and I'll update with how to do that. If you wish to disable Autorun on all user accounts, you must do steps 3 - 7 on each additional account.

ALL of these steps, including updates, must be done in order or this may not work.
    1. If you haven't already, update to Windows XP Service Pack 3. If this is impossible for some reason, let me know and I'll update with a workaround.
    2. Install all the latest critical and recommended updates for XP through Windows Update. Hardware and software updates are not necessary for this procedure.
    3. Open the run dialogue (Windows key + 'R'), enter "regedit" and press enter.
    4. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\,click the entry labeled "NoDriveTypeAutorun" and modify it (right click, modify).
    5. In the "value data" box, type "0xFF" to disable Autorun functionality for all devices.
    6. Click "OK" and exit the registry editor.
    7. Restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Back