• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Rogue - Alternate Idea

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
Years
Pokemon-Rogue-Logo.png

I reassessed my original idea and realized, for the moment I shouldn't be entering into anything too complex. The idea in itself was good but I think I need to take a simpler approach to Rogue, so I did some rethinking and came up with this.

Story/Plot

The story begins on a magnet train leaving from Kanto a new region known as the Agate Region. On the way a few of the train members start to move around frantically. Our hero/heroin stays relaxed all the while, not really paying attention to it all. But when the train stops and the bright lights show a mysterious shadow upon our character, he/she realizes something is wrong. You leave the train to see a destroyed city, darkness overshadowing everything. As you walk through the town you are attacked by a mysterious shadow. You enter battle with it, throwing out your high level Lucario to battle it. The battle however seems useless, being unable to land an attack. It is then that the shadow uses a mysterious attack that turns your Pokemon against you. it attacks and leaves you unconscious.

While you lay unconscious a cut scene unfolds. A research team on their way to the city finds it destroyed. They quickly call for help and begin searching for survivors. Our hero/heroin is the only one found left in the city. You awake to the top floor of a high tech lab, laying on a table that should be for Pokemon. You get up and look around. When you reach the second floor you find the Professor's Aid. He takes you downstairs to Professor Adler, a prestigious pokemon researcher in the region. You exchange a few words with him and after hearing your story he decides to give you a pokemon so that you may search for your lost Lucario.

Features
-Complete turn around from the usual Pokemon Series
-More mature game story and interaction
-New Legendary Pokemon (2 so far)
-New Items and System
-New Battle System
-New Pokemon (If I can find someone skilled enough with Fakemon)
-Brand New Moves
-New Region
-New post game events
-New post game features/locations

Features can be added or removed throughout development

Development

Now just like anyone else a project this big can't be done alone. I've already tried starting with RPGMaker XP but it'll be a while before I get anywhere near 1 or 2% on this. I need people who are willing to help, from testing to scripting, and even sprite creation. All are welcome if you can prove you have enough skill, and are willing to work hard. Just PM me or email me with the details on what you can do.

[email protected]

If you do become a part of the team I'll be happy to show you what I've come up with so far. But as of right now I'd like to keep that from everyone but my team.

progress.gif

ScreenShots & Gameplay

Spoiler:

What We Need

Spoiler:

Credit

Nintendo: Everything pokemon and the basic structure of my game.​
Poccil: The creator of pokemon starter kit, one of the most amazing things ever made for pokemon fans.

Game Download

Spoiler:

Note
Hopefully I'll be able to update this soon, and give you guys at least something to look forward to from the game. Until then I'd be happy to answer any questions, and feedback is always appreciated

Last edited:

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
Years
It took a while, but school is finally over!
Finally I can get back to working on the game :]
Sadly the idea's been buried by the everyday traffic here at PC, so I'd like to get this idea out there.
I still need a lot of help if I wanna get it done, cuz one person is never enough for a project like this, so please by all means if you wanna help let me know.
I'd be happy to see what you can do to help bring this game into reality.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
Nice concept fairly original. The intro seems fairly complex it would involve some auto run events that may take a good bit of time to prepare but it sounds very nice. Ill be keeping an eye on this one.

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
Years
  • CT
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016
What DO you know how to do? It seems like you're asking for help in every aspect of this game...

Ah, well. The storyline is simple, but I like it. Still, you haven't mentioned what happens after the first scene. A beginning is all well and good, but what is the actual plot? If you spend all game looking for a lost Lucario in a destroyed world, then it's going to get VERY boring, very quickly.

Also, if you're trying to make a professional looking video, you might want to reread the dialogue to check for any grammatical errors. One thing I noticed was that you were missing commas here and there.

Another problem I found was in the very first scene. Who is talking to the player (about the world of pokemon)? It seems as though there's just a ghostly voice there, which leads me to wonder who the pokemon professor will be...

There was also a good deal of redundancy in the maps. That's alright for a little while, but you could definitely use to shrink down the size of the maps to make them look less boring and easier to traverse.

I know that video wasn't final, but it seemed a little rushed in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Now in that video i see you have the FR/LG tiles..
I'm not sure how old it is or how far you are into the game, but are you still using them or did you switch to D/P tiles / Kyledove?

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
Years
What DO you know how to do? It seems like you're asking for help in every aspect of this game...

Ah, well. The storyline is simple, but I like it. Still, you haven't mentioned what happens after the first scene. A beginning is all well and good, but what is the actual plot? If you spend all game looking for a lost Lucario in a destroyed world, then it's going to get VERY boring, very quickly.

Also, if you're trying to make a professional looking video, you might want to reread the dialogue to check for any grammatical errors. One thing I noticed was that you were missing commas here and there.

Another problem I found was in the very first scene. Who is talking to the player (about the world of pokemon)? It seems as though there's just a ghostly voice there, which leads me to wonder who the pokemon professor will be...

There was also a good deal of redundancy in the maps. That's alright for a little while, but you could definitely use to shrink down the size of the maps to make them look less boring and easier to traverse.

I know that video wasn't final, but it seemed a little rushed in my opinion.

I'm not sure how old it is or how far you are into the game, but are you still using them or did you switch to D/P tiles / Kyledove?

@h POKE
I know how to design the maps, create music for the game, and sprite. Scripting is something I'm in the middle of learning though. it's not that I'm asking people to do the whole job for me however. I'm looking for people who can do the same job and work together on it. No game has just one person working on one section of it. It's a group effort, and I'm hoping that by gathering people with similar skills to work on this they can exchange ideas and styles to better the game. I mean it is my idea initially but I'd like to give it room to improve with the support of a team.

I haven't mentioned the scene itself because I actually haven't ben around, I planned to type the rest of what I had today but there were complications with me getting on. The rest will up pretty soon so please bear with me for a bit. :)

The game itself is not entirely based on Lucario. The plot is trying to save people and pokemon who have been taken in ways similar to Lucario, the whole him being taken part is just a piece to base the rest of that on. The city will be the only placed destroyed really in the game, and it'll be explained why it was later on with the whole arrival of the Team (like Galactic). Eventually it'll be rebuilt to an extent and you'll be able to play through it to obtain the badge. As the game continues you'll work on gaining badges as proof of your strength to gain information on whats going on and gaining access to the rest of the world. At certain parts there will also be side quests for going into the alternate dimension that the people were taken, like going into the Distortion World in Pokemon Platinum. There you'll possibly save a few people or pokemon upon request and in some parts you might catch a glimpse of Lucario or the Pokemon that started the whole problem. Lucario will eventually have moments where he comes to your aid, still being loyal and when you get to a certain level, with gym badges included he'll break free and come back to you. Then it's just a matter of continuing and finishing it all. That's just the general idea but like I said I'm always expanding on it.

For the video I wasn't even really looking for something professional, grammar and all of that was just thrown out of the window. it was my first attempt with RPGMXP and I simply wanted to make something to give people a general idea of the first scene. Now that I've gotten more experience with it and learned how to do the more advanced portions I'm remakign it, but it'll be sometime before I can put it up here.

The professor portion where everythign is explained won't actually be like the original games. What I plan to have is a simple text entry for the name, gender, and whole data entry in general and then after that's been decided you'll see a dream sequence where everything is explained and brings you up to speed. I'm still not sure if it should be interactive or not but I'll decide once I have some more input on the subject from those with experience in this.

And lastly the maps are going to be totally different from what you see here. I know the video is to show you the concept and all but I don't want people to just be expecting to see what they've seen in the vid. I'm making tiles for each area on my own at the moment and like I said before I'm redoing the maps so that scene will be the first thing worked on when the time comes.

@Blazers
I don't use the FR/LG anymore, but since I'm not very familiar with the whole process of stripping a game for its tiles I'm currently making my own with a style similar to D/P. The only problem is just making sure that everything matches up correctly, and since I'm of limited experience with it all I'm never really sure if things are that acceptable for a final result. I'm getting there though. XD

Last edited:

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
I like the idea of a more mature storyline. It definitely beats the whole 'Oh I woke up and wanted to become a Pokemon Master!'. Team Rocket never was really any threat to the player in the real game. Having your Pokemon actually stolen or turned on you is a step in the right direction IMO. I like how your player starts on a train, maybe later explain a reason (or do flashbacks) the hero is going to the Agate Region? Maybe like first meeting his Pokemon that turned on him, could give more of a relationship with the specific Pokemon.

Geez POKE, cut him some slack. Obviously he knows how, as shown by his video. You can only do so much at a time by yourself, no harm in asking for assistance. The game isn't even in the showcase and you're already on about professionalism in his rough draft... He also showed a grand total of 4 maps just to illustrate his story and you're talking about redundancy? I've seen more redundancy in the real game. There's constructive criticism and then there is nitpicking. Don't nitpick a rough concept, it makes you look bad.

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
Years
I like the idea of a more mature storyline. It definitely beats the whole 'Oh I woke up and wanted to become a Pokemon Master!'. Team Rocket never was really any threat to the player in the real game. Having your Pokemon actually stolen or turned on you is a step in the right direction IMO. I like how your player starts on a train, maybe later explain a reason (or do flashbacks) the hero is going to the Agate Region? Maybe like first meeting his Pokemon that turned on him, could give more of a relationship with the specific Pokemon.

Geez POKE, cut him some slack. Obviously he knows how, as shown by his video. You can only do so much at a time by yourself, no harm in asking for assistance. The game isn't even in the showcase and you're already on about professionalism in his rough draft... He also showed a grand total of 4 maps just to illustrate his story and you're talking about redundancy? I've seen more redundancy in the real game. There's constructive criticism and then there is nitpicking. Don't nitpick a rough concept, it makes you look bad.

Thanks Spira, it's good to get a detailed response on this. I started this morning on something to make more sense of why he's going to Agate, and how he joined up with Lucario. What I've got so far is that the main character was simply a very dedicated trainer because of his love for pokemon. He became friends with a lost riolu at a young age and the two trained to be the best. he's not really aspiring to be a pokemon master, or league champion, when I introduce the rival into the game it'll simply be to surpass him and the characters will to become one of the best like his father once was. That's just an idea though, and this all won't be thrown at you at once. What I want to do is set it up so that you learn about the main characters as you precede through the story having little flash back scenes that help clarify things more and more about his past. In the end it'll be that past that comes back on him though, thats a definite part of the story line to look forward too ;]

Reck

?????
Years
  • Age 29
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Starting with a Lucario! Shouldn't you start with his first form? Riolu is his first form. He evolves to Lucario once your friendship is high enough...just a thought though.

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
Years
Starting with a Lucario! Shouldn't you start with his first form? Riolu is his first form. He evolves to Lucario once your friendship is high enough...just a thought though.

You "start" with him but you don't play with him through out the game. Like I said before he gets taken away pretty much right at the beginning and you have to play through the game to get him back.

Reck

?????
Years
  • Age 29
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I'm sorry i didn't see where you said that. But any way! I don't really like your title screen...so since i had free time...I made one I hope you like it. If you don't...then don't use it...I'm sure someone can do better though... But here it is I don't need credit if you use it.

title.png

Roconza

Crazy girl say wha?
Years
  • Age 39
  • NJ
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014

Why does the tiles even matter? It's the plot, game play and feature that are more important.

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
Years
Alright well currently I'm updating a few things on Rogue so I thought I'd at least put it out there, although I don't have anything prepared to show you just yet. I've worked on getting new tiles for one, finally converting over to d/p/p tiles, as well as finally getting down the initial cutscene for the cities destruction. Fakemon are coming soon, but I won't be able to make as much as I normally could because I'm also helping Ty101 with his version Sandstone. So updates will be a little delayed until we get to a stable point.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I love the story line.
Are you going to map out the city with dark old crumbly tiles?

i'Aisha

The Girl Next Door
Years
This looks really, really good.

What DO you know how to do

Ignore that - ignore any haters. It is clear that you know what you are doing by the video - it is not completed so why he is judging it so much already confuses me and ahem - since when did one man create Pokémon FireRed or LeafGreen on his own? Never! He is asking for help, which is obvious he would need help he is taking on a big project.

I am really excited and will support this! =D

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
Years
I love the story line.
Are you going to map out the city with dark old crumbly tiles?

Lol yeah Ty. I plan on making them soon. I have some already but there just place holders with bad quality.

This looks really, really good.

Ignore that - ignore any haters. It is clear that you know what you are doing by the video - it is not completed so why he is judging it so much already confuses me and ahem - since when did one man create Pokémon FireRed or LeafGreen on his own? Never! He is asking for help, which is obvious he would need help he is taking on a big project.

I am really excited and will support this! =D

Arigatou Aisha (just felt like saying that in Japanese XD)

I'm glad you like it so far though. I'm just sorry I can't show you and everyone else more. :( hopefully if I can get people to help eventually I can get it running faster. But for now Im working on spriting a new character, only have the male done so far, a few fakemon and mapping areas first. I don't wanna really show anything till Im sure it's good enough.

I hope you'll stick around to watch it's progress though ^_^ Im lookig forward to the feedback.

Last edited:
Back