• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Online yet banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2016
This person is someone I have seen on the "Online list" today... with a strikethroughed name. He's banned, but accessing the forum.

How? Is this a bug or something?
(note- this is not asking why he was banned, it's fairly obvious)

Years
That user will have tired to access the forum.
By logging on, the forum detects that the member is online and will show it on the "Who's Online" list.

However, they can not access the actual forum because they are still banned.
They will just get a page saying something like:

"You have been banned..."

GKS

Retired Hacker
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
I have been banned from a vBulletin forum before, so I could tell you from my experience they cannot access anything. Not even PMs, VMs, personal profiles. Unless if there is a settings change or something. They get a message saying they are banned or something and they get added to the online list.

I don't know if they are idling or not, doesn't the forum add users who have been on the site for the last 15 minutes to the online list? I'm sure Rukario knows this topic better than me.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2010
If someone is banned, everytime they login, they will see this:
User Blocked
Please note that you have been banned from The PokeCommunity for the following reason: (reason for ban here)
Your ban will lift on: (date ban ends here)
Then follows info about discussing your ban, and ban evading

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
If someone is banned, everytime they login, they will see this:
Thanks Cpt. Obvious, but he was referring to how they are shown on the online members list.

PC must save a cookie on a member's web browser in order for the "Remember Me" option to work. If this is checked on, then each time a banned member visits the site, they will still be logged in until they manually remove the cookie from their computer.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2010
Oops, sorry. :o
I'll not post in this thread again

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Thanks Cpt. Obvious, but he was referring to how they are shown on the online members list.

PC must save a cookie on a member's web browser in order for the "Remember Me" option to work. If this is checked on, then each time a banned member visits the site, they will still be logged in until they manually remove the cookie from their computer.

I'm pretty sure what Spey's main point of his reply was that banned members still have the ability to log in, but they don't have the ability or permissions to allow them to see anything other than the ban message left by whomever banned them. So, not really Cpt. Obvious due to the fact that the question wasn't was how it's shown on the member list more so of why he had access to the forum still, despite being banned, but okay. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back