• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Pokéathlon

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
    Years
    It's a great feature of HG/SS IMO...I think I'll be playing it a lot; looks really entertaining (like a minigame set)
    I personally like the Ring one and the Snow one too!

Information about the Pokéathlon, for those that don't know what it is, can be found here:
    https://serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokethlon.shtml
    So... What about you? Do you like it? Or do you prefer the Super Contests?

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I actually haven't gotten the chance to try out the Pokéathlon as yet as I never got the chance to pre-order the games from Japan or anywhere else outside of the US. Although, this coming March when I do go to pick up my games I will take part in the events and compare whether I prefer it to the Super Contests and Pokémon Contests of DPPt and RSE. I've been a strong player through contests since it was introduced in the Third Generation. When it came back in the Fourth Generation with more to it, I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Though, I couldn't help but feel it got just a bit more easier.

By the looks of things, the Pokéathlon seems to come off as a good twist to the game. It's caught my attention for the very least, to say. The set-up of the idea is pretty stable and isn't too complex (though, why should it considering the game is aimed at the younger generation of fans), however I wish it to be a bit more challenging from the Super Contests. I can say that I may not be surprised if I enjoy this more than the Pokémon Contests as it seems more intriguing from how the ribbon-awarding contests first looked.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    What is the PokeAthelon exactly?
    The Pokéathlon is a new concept to the games, much like Pokémon Contest, however with it's very own twist. In this you must enter three Pokémon (not just one). Each Pokémon must compete in it's own field or category they each fit in of which you choose. From there, the game itself will select three events for you to take part in fitting the categories you selected. You also have the ability to raise your Pokémon's stats for the category it fits as well by "shaking Apricorns". Quite a cool concept to cover up for Pokémon Contests.

If you wish to read more about it though and possibly understand it a little better, then you can check it out here, The Pokéathlon.

To read more on the stats I was referring to, then a visit here would be helpful as well. :D

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    I seems like a really cool feature. The Super Contests were really fun to me, so I can't wait to try this out.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I can't wait for it. I didn't like Super Contests much (or regular contests, for that matter), but these look interesting and more engaging than a Contest.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    To be honest i've nerver even herd of the pokethon before is it in the HG/SS game, and what is it about?
    Check Hiiro's post above yours, or the Rules/Known Info Thread's 2nd post, it's all there. =/

Anyways, I quite liked the Pokethlon and look forward to playing it some more come the Australian version. I found it more entertaining than the D/P/Pt Contests (and probably RSE's contests as well) - more to do besides just choosing options or some make-shift dancing and dressing up... which makes for a neat and fun change for me. Different events as well makes for variety.

Newbie 2.0

The New Type of Noob
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2011
    As of right now, I don't know what to expect for the Pokeathlon. It looks cool, but I really enjoyed the Super Contests and was really disappointed that they were taken out. So, I hope that this Pokeathlon does a great job.

Ashyboi_7

Super Nerd Of Pokecommunity :P
    Years
    Looks great!
    And it is great I have a copy of the japenese version and played it.... And I must say it was really fun!

Can't wait for the realese :P

Ashyboi_7​

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Very good and creative idea, I'm impressed, it's one of the reasons I want to get HG/SS. But I thought Contests were here to stay :( This could be good news for Ash's next female partner, no worrying about doing better than mum in Contests, it'll be about Pokéathalons.

fisheydude

Pokemon addict
    Years
    I can't wait to play them. They look like a small game package all to themselves. I never liked the contests myself. I would do them for ribbons, that's all. Mini games are always great.... and now they are with pokemon.... AWESOME!

Years
    Holy crap...

I just got done playing the pokeathlon power thing for like 3 hours straight. I can't belive I overlooked the pokeathlon until this late in the game.It's so awesome just playing a huge soccer game or king of the hill or the brick breaking one.

THIS GAME IS AMAZING

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Yeah I love it too, I found myself playing it for an hour last night when I should have been training my Pokemon :P

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I skipped it when I got to that point. I just didn't want to mess with it then. Now that I know it's entertaining, I guess I should go back.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Merged your thread on how much you liked the Pokéathlon here. I figured there was no need to close it when we can just bring back a thread already made for this discussion. Plus, it'll let others know we have a thread to discuss whether one likes the Pokéathlon or not.

As for me, I have yet to try it out. I'm really focusing on completing the game's storyline first. Otherwise I might get side tracked if I really do enjoy it that much. XD;

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    It's official. I LOVE the Pokéthlon.

I utterly despised the Contests, as all of my Pokémon were battle oriented with battle-oriented movesets. It took me ages to figure out how to win a Master contest to get a star on my Trainer card, and I hated it (For the record, I somehow managed to win with a Cresselia that looked utterly ridiculous in the dress-up portion).

Fast forward to HG. Since the Pokémon participating got an entirely new set of stats for the Pokéthlon, not dependant on any moves, I've been doing it whenever I'm not playing the main storyline. The fact that there's actually variation in this (compared to three rounds that are always the same, with identical mundane procedures for completing it) is what makes it good. Although I don't particularily like the Soccer game, the rest of the competitions offers good gameplay and competition.

So yeah.

Back