• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Crystal Sun

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • Welcome to the Pokemon Crystal Sun thread.
    No its not a crystal version remake, infact it has nothing to do with crystal
    Made in: RMXP
    capture004.png

I'm going to be completely honest I didnt want to post a thread, but I made enough progress to announce the game because it will be released.

Here is just a little info on the game's plot, story or whatever u wish to call it.

Plot/Story/Intro:
    So Pokemon Crystal Sun takes place after HGSS Prof Elm gets a call from Prof Oak that a sudden growth in the mafenno's region's pokemon has made the region unstable, and he asked Elm if you could assist him in studying the reason behind this. Elm asks your mom and she says yes so you and your mother travel to Mafenno(Name Most likely will change), and get moved in. During your moving in Oak approaches you and ask's are you ready help him collect data about the pokemon in this region, he also mentions that elm said u left all your pokemon with him, and ask's you to come see him in his lab when your finished moving in to get a new pokemon. Seeing your previous experience you jump at the chance, thus beginning your journey.

Please note: the above story is not in the demo. However it will be in the final game, the demo plays out differently which protects the new playing experience during the full game.

Team Rocket:
    Yeah team rocket is back yet again, but this time their leader has returned. Giovanni is back and this time he has completely different intentions. As usual Team Rocket wants ultimate power, but Giovanni is trying a different approach to get it. He wants to become the Champion. Thats right he's going after the champion's Title. He also has other objectives but this time his main is to become champ. Now becoming champ is only half the story, the rest will be kept under wraps. I can assure you one thing however, there will be a plot twist you'll never see coming.

MAPS:

HomeTown
    Route 1
    Second Town
    Route 2
    Third Town
    Route 3
    Cave - Complete but now showing
    Route 4
    Fifth Town
    Route 5
    Fifth Town
    Route 6
    Sixth Town
    Route 7
    Route 8
    Route 9 - Finished but not showing
    Route 10 - Finished but not showing
    Route 11
    Seventh Town

Explore half the mafenno region soon to be revamped and called Solar region...
    I plan to revamp cause I feel the maps lack, but if you guys like them I'll keep them I tired to map like nintendo but improve their style... I feel I did a half decent job...

Features:
    • Day/Night encounters - certain pokemon are only accessable at night.​
    • Pokewatch - Think pokegear but in a watch, also this will be used by like the registered item.​
    • All new massive region - Already there is 6 towns, 12 routes and 2 caves equals to half the region.​
    • D/P & HG/SS Graphics - All graphics are current. This includes pokemon and trainers.​
    • Quests - Complete these and you get pokemon, items and more! Otherwise not obtainable throughout the game.​
    • Upgraded AI - Expect your opponent to be smarter and try to take you out first.​
    • Return of old friends & foes - I.E Oak & Team Rocket, plan to get a visit from many other heroes & enemies.​
    • Contest Hall - Which is more like the anime contests. Yep that means the 2 finalist will have to battle.​
    This is just a few features I have planned I just thought i'd post some here to give you a teste of whats to come. Oh 2 of the biggest features have been left off this list. Dont want peple to copy the idea untill after I release my game.​

Here is the demo, also here is a few features to expect:
    • 2 Gyms instead of one.
    • Day/night encounters.
    • Updated graphics.
    • New story.
    • 2 New places to explore.
    • More balanced gameplay.
    • All bug fixes from the previous version.
    • And alot more...
    A Few errors/Bugs to expect:
    • Overall I'm pretty sure its bug free. but if you do happen to find one report it here.
    • Some graphics arent updated or complete. This shouldn't be a problem during the demo, but if you find a problem with a graphic please report it.
    Downloads:

Spoiler:

Demo Released, enjoy please report any bugs.​

CREDITS:

Poccil(Flameguru) - Starter kit
    Kyledove - Tiles
    Newtiteuf - Tiles
    SVC & Wichu - HG/SS OW's and pokemon sprites
    Lx_theo - Custom Sprites​

Special thanks:
    Peeky Chew - intro bg
    lx_theo - Helped work on the story​

If i left anyone out please tell me...

Help Wanted
    Spriters - Custom Sprites(This includes tilesets & ow's)
    Scripters - Will be helping me edit scripts.
    Idealist - Always good to have new ideas!

PM me if you'd like to help.​

Last edited:

TomE22

Feelin' fine...
    Years
  • I wish you good luck with your project.
    I agree with Peeky Chew, I think this simplistic thread is better than the full of text ones. Although I think a short intro to tell the story would be nice.

KingCharizard

Years
  • @Peeky Chew, thanks I feel its good like this cause i provide a demo which allows you to see my progress rather than read about it. lol

@TomE22, I might add a plot section i've been thinking about it but haven't decided.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Mix of 3rd and 4th gen= instant nono, I won't be trying it until that's fixed.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Mix of 3rd and 4th gen= instant nono, I won't be trying it until that's fixed.

I'm curious why do some of you think thats its a problem? I think its works well. If you give me a valid reason why it doesn't work i'll concider changing it. But i dont wanna hear the colors clash, cause they dont. Indoors and outdoors dont get seen in the same instance. Meaning you walk indoors and the outside isn't seen at all. and when you walk back outside the indoors doesn't show at all. I dont really see an issue, but your not the first to mention they dont like it just give me a reason why you feel it doens't work. You look at screens and see a problem maybe if you actually seen it in action you'd like it.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Ok, demo downloaded, I'll explin the errors etc now.

In your house you can walk over some tiles you shouldn't be able to. There's also a lack of interactivity with stuff like book cases and the tv.
    When you get to chose your starter you can just walk off to the next town, see a story sequence and go into the gym... Also, in the gym the black borders cut the trees in half and there is no wall.
    When I got back to Oak, for some reason he'd moved two tiles to the left. Because of this he then walked into the sign and the game froze.
    That's as far as I've got.

Btw, your sigs too big, you should change it.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Ok, demo downloaded, I'll explin the errors etc now.

In your house you can walk over some tiles you shouldn't be able to. There's also a lack of interactivity with stuff like book cases and the tv.
    When you get to chose your starter you can just walk off to the next town, see a story sequence and go into the gym... Also, in the gym the black borders cut the trees in half and there is no wall.
    When I got back to Oak, for some reason he'd moved two tiles to the left. Because of this he then walked into the sign and the game froze.
    That's as far as I've got.

Btw, your sigs too big, you should change it.

Thanks for the bug report. I fixed the walk off map during starter selection. Also I added more interactivity inall maps, as for the tiles you mean the bed right? Yeah I'm sorry for the crash but i fixed that 2 days ago. But what do you think of the 3rd/4th gen mix? I'm playing the version you downloaded to search for more errors...

EDIT: Also let me just say it is a demo so i wont be working on it too much but i'd like for seamless play with no errors so I will be fixing any errors they are reported.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I'm curious to know how you fixed the selection part, won't you just walk into an invisible wall? I did mean the bed, and also Ithink there's an error with the back of the tv, but I'm not sure. Extra interCtivity is always good, it makes for a more polished feeling experience. The 3rd/4th gen mix isn't really that good. If everything outside of houses was 4th and everything in 3rd it would be fine, but the mix of the two isn't.
    I could be a beta tester if you need one? Then there'd be no future errors.

KingCharizard

Years
  • I'm curious to know how you fixed the selection part, won't you just walk into an invisible wall? I did mean the bed, and also Ithink there's an error with the back of the tv, but I'm not sure. Extra interCtivity is always good, it makes for a more polished feeling experience. The 3rd/4th gen mix isn't really that good. If everything outside of houses was 4th and everything in 3rd it would be fine, but the mix of the two isn't.
    I could be a beta tester if you need one? Then there'd be no future errors.

Mix? I wasn't aware I actually mixed 3rd gen and 4th gen tiles. It must be indoors I'll search and correct the problem, perhaps you can tell me where you saw it if you remember Yeah a mix is bad... How i fixed the selection part is as soon as you try to walk away OAK calls you back tell you to choose.

Recent Updates:
    Title Screen​

capture001g.png

• Added wall in GYM.
    • Remapped Leppo School.​
    • Changed trainer sprites(Rocket Grunt Male & Female).​
    • Changed Item ball in HIVARA Town to display what it is.​
    • Remapped NARFA MINE.​
    Is this the type of thing people mean when they say 4th gen and 3rd gen dont mix?
    capture004.png
    capture003.png

I'm reluctant to change the indoor tiles because the 4th gen indoor tiles are few and dont fit every situation.​

Last edited:

KingCharizard

Years
  • Yeah same tiles just the layout is a little different sorry i'll add the credits now... I know whats it like not to get credit for something you've done and worked real hard on.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Ah, I just know you had trouble with tilesets in the past so I thought you might've taken the complete one, but still you need credits and a story.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Well, I played through the entire demo. Overall it wasn't bad; a little better than I expected, in fact.

One major problem I encountered was the lack of direction; the introductory sequence at school, for example, doesn't actually mention what classroom you have to go in (just show the other classrooms as closed doors for example). Also, given that I played this demo at night, it was just a bit strange going to school at 11PM.

When I reached the second town, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, and it felt very strange going straight into the gym. You really should work on extending this section a bit, since it seemed kind of rushed (especially with the 'guard' that blocked your way until you got the badge - very uncreative lol).

Also, you need to keep in mind gameplay balance. I picked Chimchar and within a few minutes he was level 12 and one-shotting everything with Ember. The first gym in particular should be more challenging. I know I had the type advantage, but there was absolutely no challenge whatsoever.

And as people have mentioned before, your mix of battle graphics really needs some work. With the outdoor tiles it doesn't matter so much, but you really should choose your favorite generation of graphics and stick to it for the battles. Like I said, though, the demo actually shows some promise and was at least moderately enjoyable. Keep it up!

PS: One thing I forgot to mention is grammar! Slow down and take your time when you write dialog; pretend as if you're writing a thesis. Having messy dialog really does detract from the overall experience.

Back