• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Koltyes: A Pokemon Saga

dancingonlandmines

Hanging on a moment with you.
Years
  • Koltyes: A Pokemon Saga

Basic Info:
    Hello. My name is Jay and today I introduce to you my new project, Koltyes: A Pokemon Saga. As a huge Pokemon fan living in Las Vegas I began playing with the idea of a Pokemon town based off of Las Vegas. The idea quickly grew in to a new region, and then fakemon, and before long a plot for a game came to my mind. The region is called Koltyes (coal - ties) a word that came from a variation of the spelling of the Estonian word for "Monsters". Most cities, towns, and pokemon have names that are variations of Estonian words. I began the project on March 19th 2010, and hope for the first version to be released somewhere in August.
    The game will made in RMXP

Plot:
    You are a wealthy young citizen living in Kolla City. You live with your parents, and that's just not good enough for you. You decide to embark on a journey to get fame and fortune as a pokemon master, only one problem, to registrar for the Koltye Pokemon League you need to talk to Professor Blackhaw and receive your starter pokemon in Valega City, more than halfway across the region. You learn of a private jet leaving for Valega City and sneak aboard. On board of the jet you overhear the passenger, a Team Rocket official, talk about their plan to capture the legendary pokemon Korhu, by conning the professor. Upon arriving to the city, you tell the professor about this and she simply laughs at you, says it's the exhaustion getting to you. Nonetheless, you are registered in the pokemon league and are allowed to pick a starter pokemon. Once you try to set off on your journey, you are mugged by two Team Rocket members, who are chased off by your starter, leaving you with no money to get home. You must travel the region, catching, training, your pokemon, battling your way to the top, collect all eight gym badges, stop Team Rocket, save the professor, and learn the secrets that surround the legendary pokemon Korhu, and the adventure doesn't stop there! Make the right friends, manage your money well, move out of your parent's house, maybe even find romance!
    Welcome to Koltyes!

Region:
    This is a rough draft of the region. The yellow is desert, the dark green (not the borders) are forests and the ugly brown thing is mountains, blue is obviously water. There will also be an icy section beyond the mountains in the top left, I forgot to add. Kolla city is in the desert and Valega is in the top right corner. I'll upload the one with numbers on the squares to correspond with the following section.
    koltyesmapv1.png

Cities/Towns:
    1. Kolla City:
    -Home Town
    -6th Gym/Electric Gym

2. Valega City:
    -Lab/First Pokemon
    -Victory Square/Elite 4
    -Airport

3. Punna Town:
    -1st Gym/Grass Gym
    -Cut HM

Important People:
    Professor Blackhaw:
    (Under Construction)

Fakemon:
    Here's something really confusing and that will probably bug a lot of you: I only wanted generations one and two in this game, until I decided to make some fakemon. Since generations three and up and have not been discovered in Koltyes, the fakemon start at number 252 (Normally Treeko's number).

STARTERS!
    Tulivant ~ Murumuru ~ Mullikass
    koltyesstarters.png

Features:
    *= Will explained at a later date

-All new region
    -New Fakemon
    -Return of Team Rocket
    -11 Diverse Towns and Cities
    -All New Trainer Types
    -Banks
    -Airports, Buses, Subways
    -Mini-Games*
    -Relationships*
    -Pet Pokemon*
    -Real Estate*

Progress:
    Working On: Sprites, Tiles, Fakemon, People and Bios.

Next:
    -Set up RMXP
    -Mapping Kolla and Valega
    -Pokemon OWs

Credits:
    Nintendo
    Poccil

Tile artists:
    Dew
    Alucus
    Novus

HELP!
    In need of:
    Tile artists
    OW Spriters
    Trainer/Pokemon Spiters
    TWITTER!

Last edited:

Death5 Shadow

Apocalyptic Salvation
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    You need to use the tiles from the pokemon maps if you want your map to look any good and this doesn't have much rhyme or reason to it.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I disagree about the need for tiles from existing games, but you may want to spruce up the map a bit.

It's interesting that you're cropping out Generations III and IV, and I hope it works out for you. Best of luck!

dancingonlandmines

Years
  • I did the map in like five minutes... that's why I called it a rough draft, lol.

And yeah, I disapprove of a lot of the newer pokemon, so I thought it would be best to just leave them out of my game.

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2019
    Aww, you beat me to a region based on the United States!

Unless it's not done, you're ignoring the east coast almost completely :/ Come on, that's where our nation's capitol is, heh. I'm intrigued about how your deep south towns will be. Also, the plot premise has a nice beginning.

dancingonlandmines

Years
  • Thank you.

And I'm actually only basing two towns off of real places, and I used the shape as inspiration for my map, so It's not really that based off the US. I would love to see your version though. =3

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
    Years
  • My biggest problem with your plot is it follows the typical:

Oh noes, Team Rocket wants to capture a legendary and use it for evil purposes.

Its a plot thats been around since RSE. My only problem is, what is their evil purpose? It sounds like you don't know, and if not, its gonna be hard to make the game.

dancingonlandmines

Years
  • @Bards Sword: It all leads back to money, right? What if the legendary could lead them to or produce something valuable? That's how the legendary gets tied in. Trust me, I got this covered.

UPDATE: Starters uploaded! Most likely be some changes to the sprites.. o.o"

koltyesstarters.png

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
    Years
  • I know a lot of my posts seem like I'm just trying to be an instigator, but really, I like your game. I hope it goes far, and I'm just trying to pose "Devil's Advocate" questions to help you. I'm really interested in this game and wish you the best of luck!

PS. What gen. style sprites are you aiming for? And I don't get the starter names. Most have a pun hidden inside that has connection to its type or animal (BULBasaur, QuiLAVA, SNORlax, etc.)

dancingonlandmines

Years
  • I want hg/ss styled sprites, but I fail at those, that's why I'm looking for a new spriter.
    I'm also not very good with the names, the ones I'm using are variations of words that represent the pokemon in Estonian.

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
    Years
  • A lot of people might not get the Estonian thing. Its your personal choice, and its an awesome idea, but I would think about it.

dancingonlandmines

Years
  • Thanks.

UPDATE:
    Second city - Valega
    First version, I'm not to happy with it, I'll redo it tonight this is just the basic idea of what it will look like.
    Tile credits in first post.
    Spoiler:

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
    Years
  • Hmm...are those your final water tiles? They look a bit...muddy? Too dark? It just doesn't seem to fit. Also, the blue and white checkerboard seems a little odd. Its like half of the town is a village and the other half a city...it also just pops out in random spots.

Its a cool map though. I like the pokecenter in the middle of the pokeball shaped lake. One thing: shouldn't there be space at the airport for planes to land? I think thats what you are trying to do with a line shaped stretch of checkerboard, but it doesn't really look like a runway. It blends in, and plus, there would probably be a fence around the runway so you couldn't walk on it.

Thats my personal thoughts. So far, so good!

Valora17

Something Memorable?
    Years
  • I like your water tiles, makes the water seem more shallow. I dunno if that's what you were aiming for though >>; Though I must agree on the checkerboard, it looks like they're misplaced, and some seem to have been put on layer 1 while others are on layer 2 since there is still some white around some of the edges. Also, your shadows seem a bit dark on the tiles, I don't think it'd cast one dark enough to completely kill the tiles beneath it (though I don't know how to fix this personally.)

Your starters have good designs, but it's obvious that they're fusions. :) If you like (and I have some free time) I could give some time to spriting for you >> Though, I do sprite for my own game as well sooo... yeah >>;

dancingonlandmines

Years
  • O.O I FORGOT THE AIRPORT! *fail* Haha, I forgot to also edit out the white around the checkerboard. I agree it looks random, I as trying to use the checker board to make it more city like. Maybe more buildings and less plants? I also don't know what to do with the shadows, it seems like they make it harder to place things but, idk if I want to remove them completely.

Thanks for the feedback :]

Also if you could do some sprites for me, I would love you forever. :D

Back