• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
  • Ok, so PlatinumPiano can't run the Monotype Challenge for Red, Blue, and Yellow anymore, and has given me permission to do so. This, obviously is a challenge for the original games using Pokemon of a single type. If you are coming from the other thread and I do not have you on the challengers list, just tell me your progress and I will gladly add you. If you are new, then welcome! And now for the rules:

1. Only use Pokemon of one type.
    2. Dual type Pokemon are allowed, and count towards both types (i.e: Gyarados counts for either a Water or a Flying type challenge).
    3. Pokemon that evolve into the type are okay to use (i.e: Charmander can be used in a Flying type challenge, because its evolution, Charizard, is part Flying).
    4. No glitches. This means no Missingno, and no Mew glitch if you are doing a Psychic challenge. The exception: Mew can be used as an HM Slave (a Pokemon whose only use is to know HM moves that you don't want your good Pokemon knowing).
    5. You may use up to two HM slaves on your team. They may not be used in any kind of battle (except wild Pokemon battles if they have to evolve to know the HMs you want them to know) and they must be kept in the back of your party. You may not use them as a shield while you heal your other Pokemon.
    6. Your first Pokemon must be obtained before battling Lt. Surge. Up until then, you may use whoever you want. If you cannot obtain a Pokemon of that type (Ice, Ghost, Dragon) you may hack one in. If you are doing the Ice type, you may hack in either a Shellder or Seel, and if you are using Ghost or Dragon, obviously you would be putting in a Gastly or Dratini.
    7. No using Legendaries (the exception again is Mew as an HM slave).
    8. No trading, unless it is to evolve one of the four Pokemon that evolve in this manner.
    9. The challenge is over once you beat the Elite Four.
    10. You may use Emulators if you don't have or want to play it on the actual game. You may use the Speed Button to zip through the game, just don't use cheats.
    11. You can't use Dragon, Ice, or Ghost as your type, because there is no Pokemon that you can get before Lt. Surge.
    12. You may use a type even if someone else has already signed up for it.
    13. Please update your progress once every couple of "bosses" (Gym Leaders, Giovanni, Rival)
    14. Take your time. This is not a race.
    15. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!

Credit goes to Limey Chan and Cooltrainer Mike for the awesome Userbars
    Challengers and status:
    Spoiler:

Champions:
    Spoiler:

That should be everything. Would you guys rather have the challengers list like this or with all the types showing and a spoiler just over the participants?

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Ok, I'll be the first to post progress on the new thread. So I started up Blue, saw that I already had a flying team (I have no recollection of doing it with flying) and that I was halfway through the game. For some reason I didn't want to start half way through, so I started red instead and started from the beginning. Nobody's doing Psychic, I'll do that one. I'll update by city/route

Spoiler:

LukerØath

Somewhat Cool Guy
    Years
  • I don't get why you're still using Charizard. I know that Starmie is part Psychic but you aren't allowed to use Charizard now that you have your psychic types, are you?

LukerØath

Somewhat Cool Guy
    Years
  • UPDATE TIME!!! YAY!!!

Well I didn't stop after any landmark so, this update has a bit of an abrupt ending, but I'll probably beat Lt. Surge tonight, so expect an update either late tonight or tomorrow.

Well, I defeated Brock and Misty, Dropped of Spearow, cause I decided I didn't need him. Owned my rival and did some level grinding on my Pidgeotto. I saved right before I was going to start level griding my charmeleon and butterfree. ALSO, I accidently replaced Ember with Dig, so no fire moves for Charmeleon!!! :(((

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I have Charizard just because I need someone for Strength. He is an HM slave now. I haven't used him since I caught Abra and it learned an offensive move.

i stoped playing after crystal

omg i put something origional!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2011
    ahhhhh, its good to get some recognition, thanks man.
    um...ill do rock when ever i have some free time on my hands...so noone else do it. lol im kidding you can still do rock ( but if you do i will kill you)
    peace

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • welp, I'm done with the Psychic one.

From Fuschia, I headed back to Saffron to take down Giovanni. Twas easy when most of the trainers use Poison Types. Giovanni was also easy for my two overleveled killing machines.
    At this point, I am almost exclusively using Starmie, and soon it passes Kadabra in levels. So I beat Sabrina to celebrate. That Psychic training noob.
    Realized I didn't have a flier, so I took Diglett's cave to viridian, and then went down to Pallet.
    Surfed and killed stuff with more thunderbolt.
    Beat Pokemon Mansion with some Surf. Got secret key and continued surfing at blaine.
    Went back to Pallet, then to Viridian, and with Surf/Ice Beam/Psychic I took down Giovani's Gym.
    Victory road was just more experience for starmie.
    Loreli went down quite easily with 4 thunderbolts and 2 surfs (both for Jynx, who I didn't OHKO somehow).
    Bruno went down with Surf, Psy, Psy, Surf, Psy
    Agatha went down in 5 Psychics
    Lance went down in a Thunderbolt and 4 Ice Beams
    Rival had both Alakazam and Blastoise survive Starmie's initial attack. Pidgeot, Rhydon, Arcanine, and Exeggutor were not so lucky.
    Became Champion with almost no damage dealt to Starmie.

LukerØath

Somewhat Cool Guy
    Years
  • lol. Might as well have been a Starmie solo run. Haha!
    I'm about to play a bit on my monotype challenge. I'll update later today!(:

Well I didn't end up playing too much, though I did beat Lt. Surge which required only the use of my Charmeleon. Then I defeated Erica which only required the use of my Pigeot. Currently, I'm off to fight some Team Rocket folks so, I can get that thingy to use in Lavender town. All My Pokemon are at level 42. And my party looks like this.

Charizard: Level 42- Mega Punch, Body Slam, Seismic Toss, Dig
    Butterfree: Leve 42- Psybeam, Confusion, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder
    Pigeot: Level 42- Gust, Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Sand Attack

(Yes I know my moves are ALL Sweeper based. I plan on Pigeot being just an uber flying type. Charizard being Fire, Fighting, and Ground. Butterfree is obvious. Later Gyarados as Water and Dragon. And Also, Aerodactyle as Rock and Flying. I don't know if I even want a sixth member to my part. Any suggestions for a sixth member??

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Charizard: Level 42- Mega Punch, Body Slam, Seismic Toss, Dig
    Butterfree: Leve 42- Psybeam, Confusion, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder
    Pigeot: Level 42- Gust, Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Sand Attack

(Yes I know my moves are ALL Sweeper based. I plan on Pigeot being just an uber flying type. Charizard being Fire, Fighting, and Ground. Butterfree is obvious. Later Gyarados as Water and Dragon. And Also, Aerodactyle as Rock and Flying. I don't know if I even want a sixth member to my part. Any suggestions for a sixth member??

When I did (most of) my flying run, I didn't bother with a fifth or a sixth member. The damaging moves of my team were:

Charizard: Earthquake, Flamethrower, Rock Slide, Slash
    Gyarados: Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt
    Pidgeot: Fly
    Butterfree: Psychic

I didn't bother learning Grass, Fighting, Bug, Dragon, Ghost, or Poison moves because my team didn't need them. I could still one hit like everything in the elite four.

LukerØath

Somewhat Cool Guy
    Years
  • Yeah, the only reason I'm adding Aerodactyle is because I really like him. lol. There's really no point in me having him, other than him being really cool. Also, he's really underrated as a sweeper. And I'm going for a full on sweeping team.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 1, 2010
    (Copy from other thread, sorry!!)
    I've never done this before, but it sounds fun!
    I'll go grass for this first time!
    Doing it in Red. I'll update a bit later!

EDIT: First Update. <3
    Started: 12:05 on April 29th.
    -Picked Bulbasaur
    -Rival Battle #1; Beat Rival
    -Went to Viridian, Got Package back to Oak, Pokedex
    -Back in Viridian headed to Route 2
    Time: 0:13. Pokemon: 1
    -Bulbasaur: Tackle, Growl, and Leech Seed. LVL 8.

Will do more tomorrow. :)

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2010
    EDIT: Yeah this post is kinda scattered, try to bare with it. =P

Joined this forum because this sounded fun. Doing Ground. I'll update with info when I get home, but here's the team I expect to have when I've completed my run.

(I know there's no genders in B/R but I like to believe. lol)
    Marowak - Rex - M
    Cubone - Wishy (short for Wishbone) - F
    Sandslash - Tsume - F
    Rhydon - Rye - M

Going for style rather then efficiency on this one. Thus explaining my Cubone and Rhydon not evolving. I may have to evolve my Rhydon for Surf though. Anyway, four Pokemon team, with one HM dork.

Current Team however...
    Nidorino
    Sandslash
    Onix

Just flying through until I can start accumulating some of my final team pokemon. Just took out Surge. Going to grab a Diglette next.

EDIT: This was originally posted in the other thread because I'm a genius like that. As of right now though I've caught a Diglette and I'm contemplating keeping my Nido on my final team as my tank in place of the Rhydon.

Years
  • Here's the progress I've made so far.

-Named my person Red
    -Received Charmander from Professor Oak
    -Kicked Green's butt X3
    -Trained up Charmander a bit and then got Oak's Parcel
    -Gave parcel to Oak and got Pokedex
    -Got Town Map from Green's sister
    -Trained Charmander, bought Pokeballs, and then captured a Pidgey
    -Trained some more, and battled Green again...and beat him =D
    -Went into Viridian Forest
    -Charmander evolved into Charmeleon!
    -Went through the forest and then got to Pewter City
    -Battled Brock and somehow won on first try =D
    -Went through the trainers to entrance of Mt. Moon and then...
    -Wasted my money on a Magikarp for Gyarados purposes XD

Team:
    Spr_4h_005.png

Charmeleon
    Level: 19
    Moves:
    -Scratch
    -Growl
    -Ember
    -Leer
    Spr_4h_016.png

Pidgey
    Level: 17
    Moves:
    -Gust
    -Sand Attack
    -Quick Attack
    Spr_4h_129_m.png

Magikarp
    Level: 5
    Moves:
    -Splash

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2010
    Dang, nice team. Love the Magikarp sweeper. =P

Anyway, update!

My team is overpowered now. I didn't realize how much I'd advanced my team just to defeat Misty. With only a few pokemon caught by me it was actually very difficult for me to capture my two Cubones. I kept OHKOing them, each time killing a piece of my Cubone-loving heart. :< But I digress, I captured two Cubones. Rex, and then Wishy. Right now I'm chilling around Lavender, leveling up my two Cubone-bone-bones.

Years
  • I played quite a bit yesterday. Now I suppose it's time for an update =3 Ok, this is super long but oh well. Hope it's a bit entertaining.

-Went through Mt. Moon, battling like heck and swapping to get Magikarp up a few levels
    -Pidgey evolved! WHOOT! XD
    -Arrived in Cerulean and healed up, then went to battle my rival
    -Kicked Green's butt again =D
    -Healed and then went to the Nugget Bridge
    -Beat them and then went onto Bill
    -Beat more trainers and then died >> Whoooops
    -Got my revenge and then helped out poor PokeBill
    -Got the SS Anne Ticket...thing...
    -Went on and healed, then went to Cerulean gym
    -Lost about 3 times, and then finally beat Misty! =3
    -Went and kicked Team Rocket butt and got dig, taught it to Charmeleon
    -Went to that one route before Vermillion City
    -Magikarp evolved into Gyarados!
    -Healed in Vermillion and then went onto the ship
    -Battled and conquered my rival again
    -Helped out that seasick captain (what kind of captain gets seasick? Or was it really seasickness? I can't remember, but whatever)
    -Got HM Cut and then left
    -Healed and then went and captured an Oddish for cutting purposes
    -Got to the gym finally, and went in there to kick some butt
    -Beat Surge because of Charmeleon knowing dig =D
    -Went back up to the Rock Tunnel with dread (I always die in that danged tunnel)
    -Actually (barely) made it through the tunnel in one go! WHOOT!
    -Healed up and then went from Lavender Town to...Celadon City
    -Went to attempt to buy a Dratini for Dragonite purposes, but came up short D=
    -Battled Erika and kicked her butt with my fire type
    -STILL came up short on my Dratini funds D=

Team:
    Spr_4h_005.png

Charmeleon
    Level: 33
    Moves:
    -Slash
    -Dig
    -Ember
    -Rage
    Spr_4h_017.png

Pidgeotto
    Level: 30
    Moves:
    -Gust
    -Sand Attack
    -Quick Attack
    -Whirlwind
    Spr_4h_130_m.png

Gyarados
    Level: 30
    Moves:
    -Dragon Rage
    -Tackle
    -Bite
    -Thunderbolt

LukerØath

Somewhat Cool Guy
    Years
  • Well, this is my final update, and since I haven't updated in a few days and basically beat the whole game since I did my last update, it's just going to be a very Un-detailed summary. And no pictures because for some readon my VBA is being really gay (gay as in lame, not homosexual, I'm not a homophobic douche.)

Well I defeated all the gym leaders (Obviously.)
    Didn't do too much with my party. Decided against raising Aerodactyl just because I'd rather spend my time playing Sapphire and my gold solo run.

Good roded up a Magikarp and evolved it into Gyarados. Got Spearow back out of my PC and raised it up just to have another uber flying beast to go with my Pigeot.

Defeat the E4 along with my rival.
    Here is my final team.

Charizard - Level 72
    Pigeot - Level 66
    Fearow - Level 67
    Butterfree - Level 62
    Gyarados - Level 68

(If you need more details to give me a label as a champion, I will provide, but I feel this should be sufficient, no?? )
    Also, how do I get the Little banner that says I completed the challenge??

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • (If you need more details to give me a label as a champion, I will provide, but I feel this should be sufficient, no?? )
    Also, how do I get the Little banner that says I completed the challenge??

No, that's plenty of info for me. If you have to cheat to win at Pokemon Blue Version, you should feel bad for yourself. So my policy is if you say you won, then that's good enough for me.

To get the banner, Right click the one you want and click "Copy Image Location" button. Then go to your signiture and look for the image icon (looks like a couple of mountains and a sun, right below the 'back' button. Paste the URL you will have into the box that appears and you're good to go.

Years
  • Did a bit the other day, so I figured I'd just stuff it up here now =3 I forget a lot of the details, so here's the general gist of things XD

-Went through the Rocket hideout and almost got stuck because I forgot how the danged tiles worked XD
    -Charmeleon evolved into Charizard!
    -Beat Giovanni!
    -Went and bought a Dratini for Dragonite purposes =3
    -Went back to Lavender Town
    -Beat rival Green
    -Calmed that ghost Marowak thing
    -Beat Team Rocket and saved the old man
    -Got the PokeFlute
    -Went to get a Snorlax just because I like Snorlax XD
    -Killed the first one because I forgot to buy Pokeballs >>;
    -Went on through to Fuscia City with intent to go to Safari Zone and capture a Scyther
    -Spent a LOT of money...and Scyther still escapes me -_-;;;
    -WHOOT! Finally caught a Scyther XD

Team:
    Spr_4h_006.png

Charizard
    Level: 36
    Moves:
    -Slash
    -Dig
    -Ember
    -Mega Punch
    Spr_4h_017.png