• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon moments.. that are actually funny.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
Years
  • Ok, guys.
    Let's face it.

The show.. is very repetitive. (Don't go throwing rude messages at me for saying this..)
    Ash and Co. head to the next town.
    They meet someone
    OR
    they get to the gym and meet the leader by surprise
    OR
    they enter some sort of optional contest
    OR
    they start/continue a mission on a multi-part chronicle in the story(legend of thunder, for example)

In my mind, the show is very bad.
    But I still watch it, because I like pokemon, duhhh.
    I don't mean to hate, sorry about that. Just being honest in my thoughts.

anywayyy, the point of this thread is, some tend to think "omg this doesn't look like a pokemon gosh the new pokemons suckk D:<"
    The thing is, i've been watching some of the old episodes and I thought they had some successful humor in them, even though most of the humor in the show really isn't that funny for someone as old as me. Pokemon is still pretty nice, and creative.(for the fans, at least)

Does anyone else think so? I could name some parts of pokemon I actually thought were funny..
    ep 504, when James falls off the rope XD(they were sneaking in somewhere to steal some valuables..)
    not to mention, Brock was pretty funny... to me, at least.

Either it's actually funny a few times, or I just laugh too easily.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah, the original series had a lot more comedy than the Advanced Generation and Diamond and Pearl. The latter two series seem to be more focused on the battling aspect of the franchise and I like that since action > comedy for me. While AG and DP both have their moments of comedy, I certainly agree that Kanto, OI, and Johto were better at actually being funny. Cowterpie for the win.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Agree partly, though there are some good gags at the moment (Gible's Draco meteor always landing on Piplup for one) there were a lot more genuine LOL moments in the past.

Partly as the premise of the show has changed to be more action oriented and also with the introduciton of Pokemon Contests and the female charachter having to partipate in them as well as Ash obtaining his standard badges, there really isn't much time for that much humour anymore.

I know it's customary for Pokemon anime watchers to lambast 4Kids at every oppurtunity and to generally hate their guts but their dubs included more humour. Take for example Team Rocket, under 4kids, I geniunely used to laugh at their exploits and some of their lines they came out with even in Hoean. However since PUSA have taken over they've changed Team Rocket's style of dialogue, gone are the witty and snappy remarks instead I've noticed it's been replaced by more contrived artful and poetic lines which lack the humour of the original.

Furthemore 4kids had VA's like Eric Stuart who could bring so much humour to charachters just through the way he said lines.

Meh, you're right, in terms of humour the old stuff was definately better. Luckily I don't watch the show to really LOL anymore.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • -Whenever Croagunk Poison Jabs Brock for falling in love with a cute girl
    -When Piplup gets attacked by Gible's Draco Meteor
    -The boss fantasies (most of them)

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • The show.. is very repetitive.

Yep, like the whole Brock meeting a new girl and then someone drags him away. Quit Brock-blocking him! :P

-The boss fantasies (most of them)

This, those are always funny. They never actually have him in the show anymore though? For all they know he could be dead..... :O

There are a lot of things that are funny in the show, but as some said it is kind of repetitive. One thing I remember was in Pokemon the Movie: 2000. I never noticed it until I watched it a few months ago. Team Rocket was going through their usual speech, and they said something like: "Blasting into a theater near you". And obviously they changed the next line for the DVD, because Ash said something like: "This is home movie...."

Or also in that movie, how Slowking keeps saying that he wish he had pants. :laugh:

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i remmember the time that ash caught a rice ball (donught) instead of primeape and misty's like "what a great donught pokemon"

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    i remmember the time that ash caught a rice ball (donught) instead of primeape and misty's like "what a great donught pokemon"
    Oh yeah, that was surely an epic moment.
    For me, its the moment where Brock does that Mexican (I might be wrong here) styled dance. It was during the Battle Frontier saga. I can't really explain it well, so here is a screen shot. XD
    30648529.png

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • The only time i've laughed quite hard during the latest DP eps was when James saw the princesses Togakiss... "did she steal it? i would" for some reason i cracked up.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Agree partly, though there are some good gags at the moment (Gible's Draco meteor always landing on Piplup for one) there were a lot more genuine LOL moments in the past.

Partly as the premise of the show has changed to be more action oriented and also with the introduciton of Pokemon Contests and the female charachter having to partipate in them as well as Ash obtaining his standard badges, there really isn't much time for that much humour anymore.

I know it's customary for Pokemon anime watchers to lambast 4Kids at every oppurtunity and to generally hate their guts but their dubs included more humour. Take for example Team Rocket, under 4kids, I geniunely used to laugh at their exploits and some of their lines they came out with even in Hoean. However since PUSA have taken over they've changed Team Rocket's style of dialogue, gone are the witty and snappy remarks instead I've noticed it's been replaced by more contrived artful and poetic lines which lack the humour of the original.

Furthemore 4kids had VA's like Eric Stuart who could bring so much humour to charachters just through the way he said lines.

Meh, you're right, in terms of humour the old stuff was definately better. Luckily I don't watch the show to really LOL anymore.

yeah, the old stuff was all the best stuff D:
    That's where I get most of the laughs.

-Whenever Croagunk Poison Jabs Brock for falling in love with a cute girl
    -When Piplup gets attacked by Gible's Draco Meteor

Oh yes, those were funny XDD

I haven't seen that episode. XD But it sounds really funny XDD

The only time i've laughed quite hard during the latest DP eps was when James saw the princesses Togakiss... "did she steal it? i would" for some reason i cracked up.

hehe, i think James is one of the best characters in that show. XD
    He's funny.. but evil.. but not really evil.. more innocent than evil XDD

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
  • James. His crossdressing in TWFOCC was funny.

'Next time, can we steal mens costumes?'

James. On stealing Pokemon.

'Did she steal it? I would!'

James. In Double Trouble (Song).

'I'm always the man!'

Misty.

'YOU OLD HAG!'

Dawn. Whenever something bad has/will occur/ed.

'No need to worry!'

There are loads more, too, such as Charizard.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years

Pretty much this. I just finished watching all of the DP and now I'm watching the first season again and just, it's such a huge difference in the lines (everyone, not just Team Rocket since most people seem to relate the stupid rhymes and everything to only TR). You can definitely tell when you watch the DP and then Kanto episodes back to back like that.

I also agree with the voice actor thing, I find myself laughing just at the way James says some things, not even what he's saying. But the voice actor debate is for another place, so I'll stop right there. :P

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    I LOL'd hard from when that girl called Ash a noob in the newest episode that got aired in English dubbed. When she only was out for a month herself, she didn't even get any badgesXD

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    umm... i gusse when i was a kid (i was born the year it came out... i think, 1995 right?) the funniest thing would be when james used all of the money they had on a magikarp. that or whenever he played the girl instead of jessie.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    The only time i've laughed quite hard during the latest DP eps was when James saw the princesses Togakiss... "did she steal it? i would" for some reason i cracked up.
    I remember that too, it was recent after all~ Although, I don't think its one of the funniest moments!
    I found it really funny when Ash dressed up as a girl to get into Erikas gym, and team rocket pretended to be his/her parents!~ xD
    Oh btw, heres Brocks mexican/spanish thing dance!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBLZYkHrDZE&feature=related
    "I sing my la la la, for the girlsssssssss..."
    xD

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Pretty much this. I just finished watching all of the DP and now I'm watching the first season again and just, it's such a huge difference in the lines (everyone, not just Team Rocket since most people seem to relate the stupid rhymes and everything to only TR). You can definitely tell when you watch the DP and then Kanto episodes back to back like that.

I also agree with the voice actor thing, I find myself laughing just at the way James says some things, not even what he's saying. But the voice actor debate is for another place, so I'll stop right there. :P

It should be in another debate (someone should start one) but for me the 4Kids dub was superior, though that's not to say the current one is terrible by any means.

The production values were just better IMO. Sure they made the occasional gaff at times, Riceballs = Donuts & mistakes with naming pokemon etc which seems to invoke fury from a lot of pokemon viewers but that could be overlooked as they were an experienced team who could make a fantastic dub script with plenty of humour, witty lines and epic moments.

I'd just give the Voice acting and direction to them as well. I don't think the current one are bad, you just have to get used to them really. Ash, Misty, May, Dawn, Jesse and Meowth are about the same, however Brock and James for me have lost a lot of their charm due to the change in VA. You just can't beat Eric Stuart's work.

Allegedly the music in the PUSA version is closer to the original but for me personally I can't really tell much of a difference. The only other drawback for 4kids was the time taken to dub the episodes, about a year compared to half a year now, however the way I see it is that whilst it is generally convenient to have the dub released earlier it would be preferable to wait longer so the dubbing team can invest more time and effort to produce a better quality of dub. I do have the feeling that PUSA are rushing the dub a bit too much to get it out early.

Assault

Exotic Water Pokemon Hunter
    Years
  • I can't remember what episode, but it was definitely in the Indigo League Series 1.

James - "It's times like this that I wish I was straight!"

I also laughed at the episode 'Hypnose Naptime'. Also in series one. Hypno accidentally possesses 8 children in the city and none of there parents could find them. Then, Ash and co. found all the missing kids in the middle of the park acting like pokemon because of Hypno's power. There was one little girl flopping around in a puddle like a magikarp. Misty was also possessed and started flapping her arms and chanting like the pokemon 'seel'.

Last edited:

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • I can't remember what episode, but it was definitely in the Indigo League Series 1.

James - "It's times like this that I wish I was straight!"

I also laughed at the episode 'Hypnose Naptime'. Also in series one. Hypno accidentally possesses 8 children in the city and none of there parents could find them. Then, Ash and co. found all the missing kids in the middle of the park acting like pokemon because of Hypno's power. There was one little girl flopping around in a puddle like a magikarp. Misty was also possessed and started flapping her arms and chanting like the pokemon 'seel'.

What the. straight lol. idk if that's what the dub was supposed to mean lol XDD

Hard to believe but the most recent episode, in the US that is, was pretty funny.

I didn't watch all of it, but it did seem funnier than the other DP SLV's i've seen. No doubt that the older episodes were funnier, though.

Ash trying to find his pikachu.. lol XD

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back