• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where has the anime gone wrong?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    [Possible Spoiler Alert]
    The anime has gone wrong several times in the past, with the most infamous probably being Ash telling his Heracross to "finish it off with False Swipe". There is that problem, and many more in which something wrong happens when it shouldn't. Have you noticed any?

What have you noticed in the anime where it's "wrong"?

One think I've noticed, is that Satoshi's second battle with Shooti is that Ash is battling with Tsutarja against Shooti's Purupurin or whatever it's called, and Tsutarja is confused by Shooti's Pokemon's Water Pulse. he then proceeds to using Evil Eye for the maximum damage, when Evil Eye only does maximum damage against the five major status ailments, which does NOT include confusion.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    I noticed a few times that some Pokemon were able to dodge moves that can't be missed such as Swift and Aerial Ace.

In one of the Master Quest episodes (I think this mistake is only in the dub), they were saying that Furret is a ground type and Pikachu's electric attacks won't do anything to it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    It's the anime. Things that can't happen in the game can happen in the show. It's like that with mostly all games that have a show.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Just like Iceman3317 said, the anime doesn't necessarily follow the games mechanics, but it's all really just for making the exsperience more enjoyable.

They can be funny sometimes too, and they arn't all just mechanics, it's errors too. xD
    Take this for example:
    Where has the anime gone wrong?
    Notice the two pikachus?

There are also things like Pokémon using moves that they can't legitly learn in the games.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
    In a Silver Conference ep, Brock said that water types are weak against fire types and ARBOK evolving into SEVIPER!??!?

lol I still remember that moment to this day, I could've sworn it was the other way around though. I do remember some some dub speech errors such as:
    -Brock referring to "Staryu" as "Starmie"
    -Of course we all remember how they called "Rice Balls" either "Doughnuts" or "Sandwiches"
    -Ash telling his Lapras to use "Cold Beam" instead of "Ice Beam"
    -Ash telling his Taillow to use "Wing" intead of "Wing Attack"

I'm pretty sure there are a lot more but these are the ones I remember the most.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I think the most noticeable one is the 6th season, going on to the commercial break. Um I think it was called Trainers....something I cannot remember. But it said:
    "Which one of these evolves into Seviper?"
    "If you chose Arbok, then you were right!"

WRONG! I lol'd that day :D

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    Which of these Pokémon is best against Ludicolo? If you guessed Magcargo, you're right! Wait, what? Magcargo is 4x weak to Water!

Pikachu, the horn! Odd to see Lightningrod working in reverse. HILARIOUS IN HINDSIGHT.

Oh, and we can't forget the sudden death double battle in Orange. As in, only one Pokémon needs to be defeated.

Keep in mind only the Trainer's Choice one was dub-only, and the other 2 were ORIGINAL SERIES.

Years
    in the first five seasons I noticed

Am I correct?

- In season 4, Ash said he wanted to see an Articuno, because he had never seen one. But he did in the second movie!
    - Brock said to Ash in the fifth season "This must be the Lapras we travelled on in the Orange Islands!" (Brock wasn't with them in the Orange Islands on Lapras' back was he?)
    - In Season 5, Brock said he used to have a Ninetails. He didn't! He has its pre-evolved form Vulpix!

anyone know of anymore from the first 5 seasons?

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
    in the first five seasons I noticed

Am I correct?

- In season 4, Ash said he wanted to see an Articuno, because he had never seen one. But he did in the second movie!
    - Brock said to Ash in the fifth season "This must be the Lapras we travelled on in the Orange Islands!" (Brock wasn't with them in the Orange Islands on Lapras' back was he?)
    - In Season 5, Brock said he used to have a Ninetails. He didn't! He has its pre-evolved form Vulpix!

anyone know of anymore from the first 5 seasons?

I've checked through the episodes on bulbapedia and almost all of them have dub errors.

GlalieX

Ruler of Illusion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2012
    Games =/= to the Anime. Just saying. Many similarities, but I don't think small changes should be scrutinized as such.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Recent ones I have noticed are.

EP049 - Keith Farthch'd steals Jessie and James pokemon. This includes Lickitung which isn't captured until EP052.

Mewtwo Strikes Back - I noticed two things Pidgeot is called a Pidgeotto. And Nidoqueen is colored as a Nidoking.

hatake_kakashi

I am a Copy-Pokemon!
    Years
    Just like Iceman3317 said, the anime doesn't necessarily follow the games mechanics, but it's all really just for making the exsperience more enjoyable.

They can be funny sometimes too, and they arn't all just mechanics, it's errors too. xD
    Take this for example:
    Spoiler:
    Notice the two pikachus?

There are also things like Pokémon using moves that they can't legitly learn in the games.

what the..? so ash has two pikachus huh? lol..

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Another thing that makes me think that the movie and episode storylines don't intertwine was that short story arc in Johto when Ash met up with Todd. (Wasn't it Snap in Season 1?) Anyways, Todd was looking for an Articuno and Ash said it must be a myth......... when he already saw one in Pokemon the Movie 2000.

Also, within the same arc, there's a Surken frozen solid in ice....... and it lives, go figure. Now I don't know much about stuff like that but I don't think that, and falling from the sky, is something one survives on a regular basis.

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    Cant remember which one but Ahs said trecko use iron tail. 1) he didnt know iron tail
    2)Pikachu used it insted of trecko

the evolution serviper one was funny. and the ludicolo vs macargo. think there was 1 more bu tcant remember it.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Games =/= to the Anime. Just saying. Many similarities, but I don't think small changes should be scrutinized as such.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't be pointed out.

While the game rules doesn't equal anime rules, it doesn't excuse how ludicrosly inconsistent the show is in itself. They play fast and loose with their own rules, and it gets hard to watch when they pull another deus ex machina out of their pokwballs. The show makes a point that it is at least somewhat within the rules of the game, and then throws those rules away. Thunder Armor... what were they thinking?

My least favorite match was in Ash's battle in the Hoenn league. Swellow vs some random poke I can't remember. Swellow was smashed and crashed against the rocks, getting hit heavy during the whole battle. Yet it won anyway, and didn't even looked bothered. They keep varying their stregnths, and it gets hard to keep up.

Back