• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Critical Capture

Have you had a critical capture yet?

• Yes

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 67 46.9%

• Total voters

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
  • Has anyone had this happen to them yet? For those that may not know, critical capture is a once in a while thing where when trying to capture, the pokeball acts like a master ball and catches the pokemon without fail. I haven't personally had this happen to me, sadly. I wanted to see it in action.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Still waiting on it! :(

Before I restarted my game, I was catching pokemon Left and Right, I got so far behind on my Levels that I restarted it. D:

Why won't it happen! D:

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • To be honest, I haven't done many captures during this game; I've only caught eight Pokémon and six of them are on my team, with the other two being released afterwards because it was only for that challenge with Cheren and Bianca at the beginning.

Years
  • I've had it multiple times, but I've also had my game for longer (I imported it). There is still a tiny chance the Pokémon can escape though, but the most time it works quite nicely.
    It doesn't really look anything special, you just hear a certain metallic sound and the Pokéball wiggles only once after capturing the Pokémon.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Was about to ask how you could tell but Headache covered that. I haven't gotten any yet D:

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    i've had this happen a few times. the sound when a ball is thrown is different, then it nudges only once and then the pokemon is caught. its real rare, but it happened

Years
  • Yes, I've had three.
    Remember those three repeat balls some guy gives you?
    All three critical captures were from using these balls.
    O_o

-Totodile42

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Once or twice, but I missed it the first time, but I heard the sound. Basically, it makes a different sound when you thow it, rolls once and it is then caught. I used a Ultra Ball, but I can't actually remember what I caught. XD

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • sadly i havent had this happen yet in my games. even the ones i imported early. i really want to see it and i have been catching alot of pokemon

Years
  • Happened yesterday, while trying to capture...I think it was a Gurdurr in Twist Mountain. It was a Ultra Ball, by the way.

I wish that happened while trying to catch Stunfisk though, made me waste 8 Ultra Balls...

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • So, funnily enough, after making this poll I had 2 crit. captures in a row (poliwag and goldeen). I knew it wasn't going to be too exciting, but it makes me wish it would happen when trying to catch legendaries XD

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Since I capture 65 Pokemon and seen 121 pokemon. I gotten the critical capture more than 10 times on my adventure. I also got a shiny pink Deerling that happen to be my first shiny in the game. It also was a critical capture with a ultra ball. (I don't believe in luck...)
    : )

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    It's happened to me a few times in Black, hasn't happened yet in White for me. First time I saw it I thought it was some sort of glitch! haha.

For anyone who doesn't know what happens, when you throw the Pokeball it'll do a different sound. Then it shakes once in mid-air, and just locks. It's pretty cool. :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Yes, I did have one with Zekrom using a Ultra Ball. Would've been cool with a Poke Ball though.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I absolutely love that they added this feature in, but to be honest - I don't really think I have had any Critical Captures, well at least I haven't noticed...

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I haven't had any critical captures yet. Boo. :( But, I look forward to it when I do. I don't think it's uber special or anything but it'd be cool to see it. XD

Back