• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conspiracy Theories

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    What are some of the pokemon conspiracy theories or controversial topics you can think of? These include theories like "Ash in a Coma" theory, or Striaton leaders ?= Shadow Triad.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    I think I remember hearing something about Articuno "taking the form of a bird" possibly meaning it isn't ALWAYS a bird.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    When the brass tower caught on fire Lugia also got caught on fire and dove into the waters to dose himself. That's why he doesn't have many feathers, lives on the whirl islands and is now the diving Pokemon.

Orignally, Cubone was suppose to be an orphaned baby Kangaskhan. However, Game Freak for some reason decided against then so they made Marowak and said that it was Cubone's mother.

Bruno was originally going to be the first gym leader but got replaced with Brock.

Pidgeotto's and Pidgeot's names got switched.

Metagross was suppose to be Metacross.

I'll post more if I think of them.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Gengar is Clefable's shadow!

And the other one that hasn't been mentioned already is that Venonat evolved into Butterfree and Metapod evolved into Venomoth, but they changed it at the last minute.

Hawk.

The Hawist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • PA
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    The Mew and Ditto conspiracy is pretty cool. Both Mew and Ditto are the same weight, can learn transform, and shiny form is blue. Some say Ditto is a failed Mew, there are more similarities but I can't remember them.

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
    Shellos and Gastrodon were actually meant for the third generation but weren't finished in time. There was originally just one Shellos and was pink with the blue's back features.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I readed somewhere that squirtle was the first pokemon ever made.

marcc5m

what
    Years
    When Paras evolves into Parasect, the mushroom kills it and takes over its body. I found that to be a really interesting one.

Years
    I thought it was rhyhorn/rhydon
    That was just the first pokemon that was inserted into the games iirc

Orignally, Cubone was suppose to be an orphaned baby Kangaskhan. However, Game Freak for some reason decided against then so they made Marowak and said that it was Cubone's mother.
    Just to add to that, when cubone was moved they didn't fill in kangaskans previous evolution so there was a blank slot. And what evolves into a kangaskan in the first games? MissingNo. o.O

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I thought it was rhyhorn/rhydon
    It's Rhydon. I forget to add that on my list of conspiracies.

Just to add to that, when cubone was moved they didn't fill in kangaskans previous evolution so there was a blank slot. And what evolves into a kangaskan in the first games? MissingNo. o.O
    You know it's funny.
    Just the other day I was explaining to someone else how that doesn't make any sense what so ever.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Edit - I see that Toujours already mentioned this, but I overlooked it, sorry!

While it might not really be a 'conspiracy', I'm extremely interested in the theory of Venomoth being switched with Butterfree.

If you look at Venonat and Butterfree, you'll notice that they share a huge amount of similarities. The eyes, for example, are both big and red, like bug eyes. The colour of both Pokémon is the same, purple. The antennae are also the same, as for the mouth, and the big feet, and claw like, tiny hands.

If you look at Metapod and Venomoth, you'll also spot similarities (though not as much as with Venonat and Butterfree, but still). Metapod and Venomoth have the same forehead structure, which is also on the head of Caterpie, only in a different form. The eyes of Caterpie and Metapod are also more similar to the eyes of Venomoth, than Butterfree.

An interesting thing to point out, is the sprites of these Pokémon from Pokémon Green version. You can see here below that Venonat and Butterfree look almost completely the same, apart from their own body structure and Butterfree's wings. Venonat is just a purple fuzzy ball, with all the features of Butterfree.
    Conspiracy Theories

The theory is that in the first game, the editors messed up somehow and switched the sprites for Venomoth and Butterfree by accident, found out later about it when the game already released, and to cover up their mistake, they kept it that way and changed that to the official evolution lines. That means that Butterfree as of now, was actually meant to be 'Venomoth', and vice versa. This is supported by the fact that when you look at Venomoths wings, they look a lot like butterfly wings as well, so it wouldn't have been strange if Venomoth was actually supposed to be 'Butterfree'.

This is just something that interests me a lot, because you just can't get around the fact that Venonat and Butterfree look almost the same in their features, and the same goes for Metapod and Venomoth with the eyes and head structure. But we can never be sure about what the real reason for it was.

Last edited:

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    What about mew that even nintendo and game freak didn't know it exict in red/blue/yellow.

Years
    Actually I think the mew thing is true. From what I've read about it when they took the debugging features out of the original game they had room for one more pokemon so they slipped mew in and didn't tell anyone.
    I once heard something that electabuzz, magmar, and jynx were going to be the original legendaries in red and green, but they changed it and switched over to the birds.

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    From what I've heard Game Freak snuck Mew into the games coding without Nintendo knowing until it was already realeased. They also never mention the War that Surge Lt was in or who it was against.

Also Charmander was going to have spikes on its back and graverler was spossed to be floating like geodude. In Gen 4's coding theirs a place for the ??? type Arcues.

My bro pointed this one out to me and it was freaky: In the Red/Blue games when you meet your rival in the Lavender Tower (Ghost Tower) he asks you about do you know how it feels to have a dead pokemon. From that point on in the game you never see his Raticate again...coincidence?

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Actually I think the mew thing is true. From what I've read about it when they took the debugging features out of the original game they had room for one more pokemon so they slipped mew in and didn't tell anyone.
    Then why is it not the last Pokemon programmed into the game? Why is it the 21st?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back