Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
What is this?
It's Machiavellian backwards. It's also the 1st place winner of Anthroyd's 2nd Make A Great Map contest! MAGM is a contest where the contestants have 30 days to make a good map. Not a single literal map, but a single conceptual map, so I wasn't cheating when I made interiors and such. The theme for this contest was the "Machiavellian Mountains" a vague nonsensical concept that's completely up to everyone's individual interpretation. So this is what I came up with. A sort of atmospheric puzzle-y almost-horror, the game isn't scary, but unnerving. It's a short but complete game, taking place in a single location: Naillevaihcam. After the contest ended, I did not expand or improve this game nor do I plan to. This is the full experience. I only fixed a few oversights and cleaned some things under the hood. Other than that, what you see here is everything I accomplished in 30 days. I'm proud of what I made in such short time, so this will remain a testament to that. So here is the IPS patch for FireRed 1.0

Story
Naillevaihcam is a mysterious realm of mysterious origin with mysterious people. No one has a name, not everyone can understand each other, and even people's perception of the place can be inconsistent from one another. You are no exception. Reality seems to warp around you, and there's someone in particular who seems to take interest in you. There's a lot to uncover. Will you find the answers? That will depend on what you question.

Features
- A few later gen Pokémon and moves
- Physical/Special Split
- Fairy Type
- Improved Exp. Share and Lucky Eggs
- Some custom music
- Lots of puzzles
- Traverse between parallel realms
- No Pokédex, Badges, Money, Shops, Map, Potions, Help or Escape!

Screenshots

Credits
Patches and ASM Routines:
Skip Intro Tutorials - Sierraffinity
All Instrument Patch - Alisa180, BlankPoints
Dynamic Overworld Palettes - Navenatox
MrDollSteak's Rombase - MrDollSteak
Tall and Ash Grass - knizz
Check/Count Pokemon - esperance
Face Trainers - Jambo51
Exp. Share - Delta231, Samu, BluRose, Lunos

Graphics:
Snow Tileset - Fanking Omega, Splash
Boot Screen Tutorial - Zeikku

Music:
L'Oscurita Dell'Ignoto - ArvenMix
Sylph's Mountain - Riulyn

Tools:
Advance Map - LU-HO
Animation Editor - LU-HO
Advance Text - Scizz
XSE - HackMew
HxD - Mael Horz
Pokemon Game Editor - Gamer2020
Gen 3 Tools - Kurapika
Tile Molester Alternate - SnowBro
Unnamed Trainer Editor - Jambo51
unLZ - loadingNOW, HackMew
Free Space Finder - HackMew
Sappy - Kyoufu Kawa
Nameless Sprite Editor - Link12552
Notepad++ - Notepad++team
OverWorld Manager - Kimonas
MSPaint - Microsoft Windows
IrfanView - Irfan Skijan
VisualBoyAdvance - Forgotten, VBA team
GBA Intro Manager - Sierraffinity
Advanced Palette Editor - HackMew
LunarIPS - FuSoYa, Defender of Relm
Photoshop - Adobe

Misc Assistence:
Lunos
Dark Zeta
petuuuhhh
Joexv
FBI
twixstixx
Tarma
BreadCrumbs
Zeturic
Squeetz
AkameTheBulbasaur
Darthatron
DavidJCobb
pheonixbound
Sierraffiniity
TrainerX493

Special Thanks:
Anthroyd
Everyone at PokeCommunity
I've come to realize that years of self-taught experience amounted to significantly less than I initially thought, but with the support of some great tutorials, friends, and fellow community members, I've become half decent by now. I'm no expert, I still have a long way to go, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon.

I've shelved some projects and reduced the scope of others now that I have a more grounded view of what I can reasonably accomplish. One project I certainly won't give up on is improving gen 3's multiplayer.

Something I did accomplish was making a full short game in 30 days.
Check it out here if you want: Naillevaihcam

Anthroyd

World Dominator

Male
United States
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted May 15th, 2021
206 posts
5.1 Years
Congratulations on finishing this! Making a short story instead of a full-blown region hack can make a world of difference when it comes to being able to complete projects. Really glad your entry won this year, you definitely deserve it. I highly recommend playing this hack if you've got a few spare hours.
YouTube Channel

Twitch Channel

Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking
Video Series

Pokémon Dreary

Discord

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
Congratulations on finishing this! Making a short story instead of a full-blown region hack can make a world of difference when it comes to being able to complete projects. Really glad your entry won this year, you definitely deserve it. I highly recommend playing this hack if you've got a few spare hours.
Thank you so much! Its thanks to you that I was able to do this.

Wow! So ia this still a demo? I think ill play it!
Nope, this is the full version. Its short, but its complete.
I've come to realize that years of self-taught experience amounted to significantly less than I initially thought, but with the support of some great tutorials, friends, and fellow community members, I've become half decent by now. I'm no expert, I still have a long way to go, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon.

I've shelved some projects and reduced the scope of others now that I have a more grounded view of what I can reasonably accomplish. One project I certainly won't give up on is improving gen 3's multiplayer.

C7XL

Robot Rock

Male
Around the World
Seen 17 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
32 posts
1.2 Years
Nope, this is the full version. Its short, but its complete.
How many hours of play time if you don't mind me asking? This seems a really good one to play, a unique experience.

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
How many hours of play time if you don't mind me asking? This seems a really good one to play, a unique experience.
About 2 - 3 hours, depending on how quicky you're able to train your Pokemon. The final boss is admittedly lacking in balance somewhat so it may require a bit of grinding if you haven't already found the Exp. Share and Lucky Eggs.

Inner Rhymes

Hip Hop and Pokemon are all I need.

He/Him
India.
Seen 7 Hours Ago
Posted 7 Hours Ago
1,194 posts
4.1 Years
Oh wow! Glad to see a small surge in shorter based hacks being a thing. Going to try this as soon as I am done with my current playthrough. Thank you for sharing this with the community.
Ayee I just dropped my latest single Soulace on all streaming platforms. This is a chill Lofi track that's very personal to me! I hope y'all enjoy!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fT3k2KU1dw
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0EeJ5hMa8YUDHaZEhmbCqk
Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/in/album/soulace-single/1565986518?ls

Seen August 14th, 2020
Posted July 23rd, 2020
2 posts
336 Days
It's a short but complete game, taking place in a single location: Naillevaihcam. After the contest ended, I did not expand or improve this game nor do I plan to. This is the full experience. I only fixed a few oversights and cleaned some things under the hood. Other than that, what you see here is everything I accomplished in 30 days. I'm proud of what I made in such short time, so this will remain a testament to that. So here is the IPS patch for FireRed 1.0

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...

Age 30
Male
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted May 1st, 2021
8,598 posts
14.1 Years
Well, I finished it. Sad to say, I don't understand the story. Probably because I'm too darn sleepy during the last half of the game.
edit: By this, I meant I played the game pretty late already so I was getting a tad sleepy as I progressed through the game. I did not mean it was boring. Well, perhaps the grinding part was boring cuz sudden level curve, but what can you do?

One thing that ruined the 'creepy' vibe though was the battle music of wilds and trainers, and their victory songs. Would have been better if you changed those to fit the atmosphere of the game.

Anyway, it was a pretty interesting game. The puzzles were pretty well thought out, so props to that.

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
Well, I finished it. Sad to say, I don't understand the story. Probably because I'm too darn sleepy during the last half of the game.

One thing that ruined the 'creepy' vibe though was the battle music of wilds and trainers, and their victory songs. Would have been better if you changed those to fit the atmosphere of the game.

Anyway, it was a pretty interesting game. The puzzles were pretty well thought out, so props to that.
Thanks for your feedback! Yeah, I wish I had the time to replace more music, but I feel I got most the important parts.

As for the story, its very vague on purpose. I can try to explain more of what's going on, but a lot of it open ended.
Spoiler:
The two parallel realms have contradictory stories going on. On the surface level, NPCs are each native to one or the other, and will speak normal in their native realm, and backwards in the other. The subjects they speak about usually pertain to their realm, like the weather or specific puzzle elements.

The antagonist is a special case, he will always speak normal, but his entire personality and motivation is different depending on the realm. Each encounter with him can only happen once, but the dialogue will be realm dependent, so whatever impression you get of him is mixed on purpose. Especially because the order of encounters with him is flexible, so what he talks about and when he brings it up will likely be unique to every player for the most part. The big reveal at the end is also contradictory. In the snowy realm, he acts generally more calm and collected. He reveals that you two were allies, but turned on each other and he killed you. Naillevaihcam, according to him, is an afterlife of a sort. In the volcanic realm, he is much more openly hostile towards you, and reveals that you aren't dead, but trapped. In this version of events, you two were always enemies, and he successfully trapped you in Naillevaihcam, a realm that he created.

The wild Pokemon in each realm, and even his team are mostly themed around this. In the snowy realm, you will find more ghost Pokemon and Pokemon related to death and the afterlife in general. In the volcanic realm, you find more Pokemon capable of illusions and nightmares.
One half of his team is related to death, the other half related to nightmares.

Its completely unknown which version of events is real, or accurate to the way he tells it. You have only his word and your surrounds to judge, which as established,
contradict quite a bit. Even your fate after you beat him is left to interpretation. I know it can be a letdown for the end to lack any sort of closure, but that honestly fits the theme I was going for. The machiavellian manipulation is effective precisely because you never find out how deep it really goes. The game never stopped gaslighting you.

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
I'm enjoying this hack so far, but I end up going in circles. Is there a map?
Not yet, but I do plan to make one.

Male
Azalea Town
Seen July 27th, 2020
Posted July 27th, 2020
14 posts
8.8 Years
I finished the hack today and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot, especially the puzzles and the realms switching. However, I spent around 1,5 hours trying to painstakingly level up Absol, trying to get some XP using Perish Song and praying to RNG gods to live long enough for it to actually do the thing, only to realise I have 100 Master Balls in the bag lol. The ending was kind of weird, I expected some sort of story end or something which would explain how I got trapped in what I was trapped.
Very well done, it would be interesting to play a full region hack with this concept.

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
I finished the hack today and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot, especially the puzzles and the realms switching. However, I spent around 1,5 hours trying to painstakingly level up Absol, trying to get some XP using Perish Song and praying to RNG gods to live long enough for it to actually do the thing, only to realise I have 100 Master Balls in the bag lol. The ending was kind of weird, I expected some sort of story end or something which would explain how I got trapped in what I was trapped.
Very well done, it would be interesting to play a full region hack with this concept.
Thanks! I did what I could to get the player's attention to their items, but it's not always the first thing you think of. Fun fact, you wouldn't actually get experience from a Perish Song draw anyway.

Oh wow! Glad to see a small surge in shorter based hacks being a thing. Going to try this as soon as I am done with my current playthrough. Thank you for sharing this with the community.
Thank you! I also want to encourage people to try limiting their scope, especially those who are new or inexperienced.

I feel like people are eager to release betas because of that rush of excitement in getting something out there, but that kind of impatience can cause a number of issues from compatibility to limiting rewrites and prematurely solidifying design. The larger the game, the harder it is to keep track and balance everything. But small projects come with less obligation, less obstacles, and less pressure. (Barring the 30 day time limit this in particular had) So even without a push from events like competition, its still very worth trying.

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.

Age 19
Male
Canada
Seen 19 Hours Ago
Posted April 26th, 2021
435 posts
5.1 Years
Spoiler:

What is this?
It's Machiavellian backwards. It's also the 1st place winner of Anthroyd's 2nd Make A Great Map contest! MAGM is a contest where the contestants have 30 days to make a good map. Not a single literal map, but a single conceptual map, so I wasn't cheating when I made interiors and such. The theme for this contest was the "Machiavellian Mountains" a vague nonsensical concept that's completely up to everyone's individual interpretation. So this is what I came up with. A sort of atmospheric puzzle-y almost-horror, the game isn't scary, but unnerving. It's a short but complete game, taking place in a single location: Naillevaihcam. After the contest ended, I did not expand or improve this game nor do I plan to. This is the full experience. I only fixed a few oversights and cleaned some things under the hood. Other than that, what you see here is everything I accomplished in 30 days. I'm proud of what I made in such short time, so this will remain a testament to that. So here is the IPS patch for FireRed 1.0

Story
Naillevaihcam is a mysterious realm of mysterious origin with mysterious people. No one has a name, not everyone can understand each other, and even people's perception of the place can be inconsistent from one another. You are no exception. Reality seems to warp around you, and there's someone in particular who seems to take interest in you. There's a lot to uncover. Will you find the answers? That will depend on what you question.

Features
- A few later gen Pokémon and moves
- Physical/Special Split
- Fairy Type
- Improved Exp. Share and Lucky Eggs
- Some custom music
- Lots of puzzles
- Traverse between parallel realms
- No Pokédex, Badges, Money, Shops, Map, Potions, Help or Escape!

Screenshots

Credits
Patches and ASM Routines:
Skip Intro Tutorials - Sierraffinity
All Instrument Patch - Alisa180, BlankPoints
Dynamic Overworld Palettes - Navenatox
MrDollSteak's Rombase - MrDollSteak
Continue After Losing - Javi4315
Tall and Ash Grass - knizz
Check/Count Pokemon - esperance
Face Trainers - Jambo51
Exp. Share - Delta231, Samu, BluRose, Lunos

Graphics:
Snow Tileset - Fanking Omega, Splash
Boot Screen Tutorial - Zeikku

Music:
L'Oscurita Dell'Ignoto - ArvenMix
Sylph's Mountain - Riulyn

Tools:
Advance Map - LU-HO
Animation Editor - LU-HO
Advance Text - Scizz
XSE - HackMew
HxD - Mael Horz
Pokemon Game Editor - Gamer2020
Gen 3 Tools - Kurapika
Tile Molester Alternate - SnowBro
Unnamed Trainer Editor - Jambo51
unLZ - loadingNOW, HackMew
Free Space Finder - HackMew
Sappy - Kyoufu Kawa
Nameless Sprite Editor - Link12552
Notepad++ - Notepad++team
OverWorld Manager - Kimonas
MSPaint - Microsoft Windows
IrfanView - Irfan Skijan
VisualBoyAdvance - Forgotten, VBA team
GBA Intro Manager - Sierraffinity
Advanced Palette Editor - HackMew
LunarIPS - FuSoYa, Defender of Relm
Photoshop - Adobe

Misc Assistence for base rom:
Lunos
Dark Zeta
petuuuhhh
Joexv
FBI
twixstixx
Tarma
BreadCrumbs
Zeturic
Squeetz
AkameTheBulbasaur
Darthatron
DavidJCobb
pheonixbound
Sierraffiniity

Special Thanks:
Anthroyd
Everyone at PokeCommunity

Good job with this hack, I don’t mind horror hacks, so I’ll definitely give it a shot, once again good job and thanks for your hard work and dedication, have a great day/night
Rom hacks i support: Pokemon Adventure Red Chapter, Pokemon Gaia, Pokemon Firered Rocket Edition, Pokemon Orange, Pokemon Unbound, Pokemon Masterquest, Pokemon Saffron Version, Pokemon Dark energy, Pokemon Sevii, Pokemon Radiant White, Pokemon Darkfire

Hacks I have beta tested: Pokemon Masterquest, Pokemon Saffron, Pokemon Sevii, Pokemon Aluminum, Pokemon Secret diaries. Pokémon Sors

Currently a Beta Tester for:
Pokémon saffron
Pokémon Sors

IMPORTANT: i'm currently OPEN to ANY rom hacks that need beta testing. PM me on pokecommunity, thanks!

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
Updated the release with a fix for some Pokemon's height and weight so moves that use that should work correctly. As well as a fixing an overlooked tile error.

Male
Azalea Town
Seen July 27th, 2020
Posted July 27th, 2020
14 posts
8.8 Years
Thanks! I did what I could to get the player's attention to their items, but it's not always the first thing you think of. Fun fact, you wouldn't actually get experience from a Perish Song draw anyway.

Actually you get experience from it :P I managed to level up till like level 22 or 23 before I noticed the Master balls.

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
Actually you get experience from it :P I managed to level up till like level 22 or 23 before I noticed the Master balls.
Oh, huh. Coulda sworn I tried it myself. Neat, learn something new every day.

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
Another little update! This time I just removed the Badges text from the save screen and continue screen.

Seen March 6th, 2021
Posted November 17th, 2020
1 posts
6 Years
SO i need to ask where to get waterfall, its the one thing i need to try and continue with the puzzle, i found the rocksmash hm fine enough, but getting through everything only to find a big ass waterfall blocking my progress and no idea where the HM is, its quite frustrating
*EDIT* Just found the watefall HM and am now grinding to take out the boss, has been much fun

U.Flame

Humbled Beginner

Age 25
Male
Unknown
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted April 12th, 2021
1,299 posts
13.1 Years
One more update! This time I removed the lag when entering the Pokemon Center caused by a Wireless Adapter check. Also updated one of the screenshots due to it showing an outdated tile mistake that was fixed long ago.