• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Untitled [PG-13]

Nam

Years
    Guys I wrote this a long time ago and as you can see neither the chapter nor this fanfic have a name; meaning I don't really plan on continuing this unless I get another blast of inspiration from somewhere. But honestly, I think I did a pretty good job writing this, so I wanted to get criticism on it.

Also, I just re-read this myself and got an idea I'd like you all to think about: Even though it's full of "fantasy", we don't realize we're dreaming. Maybe because, it's not fantasy? Perhaps in some dimension out there, these things truly exist? Perhaps, the simple fact that we can think about something, proves it exists; at-least, in our thoughts if no where else.

Enjoy! xP

Chapter 1

"Yo, Sonic! A little help here!?"
    The red, echidna-like creature was surrounded by a few dozen androids, much like our blue hero -only a lot larger!-

It seems our mad scientist has gone up a level; Metal Sonic had been multiplied and remodeled to a much more slick, yet buff structure. It was odd how little damage Knuckles was able to inflict on them, without mentioning the few who did lose a piece, which instantly regenerated.
    Meanwhile, on the other end of the mob, our anti-hero was discouraged and on his knees; every bullet, repelled by the hard blue metal.

Hold on Knuckles, I'm coming!
    Is exactly what our man wanted to say, but he had his hands occupied. How can you help someone eat their plate, when you're too full to finish your own? They were at their limit.
    Chaos Sphere? Chaos Control? What about Super Sonic? Ha! Don't make me laugh, those moves are obsolete. The Chaos Emeralds... they had completely disappeared. There was no sign of them anywhere, not even the Master Emerald was responding.

All the while, our two-tailed genius of a fox was at the usual place; he hadn't left that chair ever since... Where is Dr. Robotnik? What happened to the Chaos Emeralds? And what's with the freaky upgrade on Metal Sonic? All of these questions, but no answers. Nothing made sense. His eyes were red with 5 lbs worth of bag under, his fur was dull, wet, and he was seconds away from falling into a coma.

They were alone; where was Amy, Cream, Silver, Team Chaotix? Heck! Where are all of the civilians? They were hidden, lost, and some even forgotten. Is this the end?

A teenage boy awoke to the sound of an uprising noise. He reluctantly stands from his average bed and shuts off his alarm clock.
    "Another dream, huh?"
    They seemed so real; it's amazing when you think about it. How you're brain creates all of these artificial objects and fictional characters with their own personality and set of abilities. So weird, the way you dream events which would appear to last hours to unfold, yet you dream it in an instant. And at the same time, it was questionable; are we so dense, that we can't recognize a dream, when we're having it? Even with all of those past events, talking animals, standing on two feet, blue hedgehogs running at the speed of sound. It made no sense, yet you seem to lack the consciousness or rationality to realize you're dreaming, but enough to remember afterwards -sometimes!-

Enough thinking, you wouldn't want to be late on your first day of school now, would you? We could add his birthday and the sweet and loving voice of a mother saying, honey! Wake up, Breakfast's ready! Standing at the foot of the bottom floor stairs. It was a generic start for the generic day of a generic boy in a generic book, but that wasn't the case.

"All student's must be present at the Assembly in 30 minutes, failure to do so will be treated as an infraction."
    The broad-casted announcement was then repeated through the megaphone. The boy lived in a dorm school; he was in underwear, barely awake, cloths all over the floor, and his over-sized Jock roomy seemed to have seized the bathroom again. It was a mess in there; toilet paper all over the floor -and in the toilet-, a hint of spermaglite in the corner and a bad example of his jock-like shooter skills were left on the toilet seat. He'd sometimes hesitate brushing his teeth, with the condition of his bathroom, who knows what that over-grown douche might've done with his toothbrush.

His uniform was a white, plain T-Shirt covered by a black vest with the institute's bloody red emblem on the left chest-side, a red tie, and tan pants -let's not forget black, Italian shoes!-
    Except, today was Friday; everyone gets to wear casual.
    He would wear the usual Punk Rock T-Shirt, Converse and random Jeans (usually black). These days everyone uses Crocs -mainly the girls-, but he was fine with Converse (Airwalk works too).

At the assembly, they reminded midterms next week. To think it was New Years Eve just a few days ago. Looks like everything was returning back to it's regular self. These days, it seemed as if the only interesting thing that could possibly occur, was returning to his dream of black hedgehogs with feet and opposable thumbs; shooting robots with a pistol -HARDCORE!-.

In conclusion, everyone had the day off from class, assuming they'd do the responsible thing and actually use this chance to study for exams; but please, who're we kidding?
    As soon as the student's sang the national anthem, everyone immediately engaged in conversation; you could hear various voices, fingers texting like maniacs, phones ringing and beeping, typical society behavior.
    "Yo Matt!"
    I bet you were dying to know what our boy's name was, unfortunately, he's not Matt. That was just some random guy, talking to a random person, who happens to be called Matt.

No, our dreamer was named SuperOmegaSo- Nam, just Nam; his parent's got tired of searching for a real name cause they were all taken, so they removed the 'e' in name and voila! They were pissed afterwards when they discovered a city called Viet Nam...
    It's weird when you compare the names Matt and Nam, Matt was so normal and Nam, wasn't. Then again, Matt was pure gringo -as the Spanish say- and Nam was half Asian. He seemed American because of his father's genes though, and he didn't really know any Japanese.

Here comes Sarah (Matt? Sarah? Is this Digimon now!?), she was one of Matt's Nam's best friends, she was wondering if he wanted to hang by the library today, but Nam wasn't really in the mood for study dates, he'd much rather go back to bed and observe the greasy fox - who probably benefited his studies much more than a library-.

Upon entering his room, Ronnie the douche jock roomy, was holding a party. He didn't even bother, he closed the door and continued as if he saw nothing. Perhaps Kirby's room would make a good replacement. He was the hardcore gamer of Nam's very small social group. They call him Kirby because his walls were covered with posters of a pink head with feet, not only that, it was the background of his PC's desktop, it was the soundtrack of his life.

Kirby and Nam go way back, he didn't even need to ask; he instantly knew why Nam had appeared at his door.
    "You know, I should probably start charging for my services."
    "Don't bother, I should have a new roommate by Monday... Hopefully."
    "Well then, go ahead and sleep on my bed, I was going to play an MMO anyway, I can just use my headphones."

He didn't even have to say thanks, a short eye to eye telepathy and he's heard everything. Kirby's bed was much like his own, and the atmosphere in his room was much more welcoming if you didn't mind the sound of buttons clicked in succession. The smell of *** was gone, and he much preferred the view of a male Jigglypuff inhaling everything whole, other than naked women posted on every corner of his eye. He wasn't gay -nor was he against it-, but he didn't like to be thought of as a perverted teen. Plus, how can you sleep with 10 lbs of melon taunting you from afar?

He closed his eyes. All he could think of was, what's going to happen next?

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
    Well, Nam, I got bad news for you.

First off, I'm kinda confused why you decided to switch from Sonic and his friends being screwed to some random boy we barely know about.

Secondly, why go with "Untitled"? The name is just...boring. It's not going to attract that many people.

Furthermore, at the beggining, you said that you were not going to continue this fanfic unless you got some inspiration. So I might be the last person to criticise this fanfic.

BUT....since you seem to need help with getting a blast of insipration, I'm going to TRY to help. Pm me if you want it.

For now, let me give you some advice.

"Inspiration always rhymes with Imagination."-Xelarator

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I'm going to do a review while responding to an earlier comment! \o/

Anyway, the concept itself is interesting enough. This is definitely not your run-of-the-mill fic, and it has an interesting enough plot and narration for once, so you've definitely got my interest piqued here. For instance, I like how you start with, and I quote a previous comment,
    Sonic and his friends being screwed to some random boy we barely know about.
    Contrary to the comment, this is actually an interesting plot point. I admit, the transition could have been done a tad more smoothly, it just seems a tad rushed, though I admit that could add to the abrupt nature of waking up from a dream state, so your writing here seems wonderfully experimental at best. It's jarring, definitely, but it could be intentionally jarring in a good way. Meanwhile, how you choose not to name the protagonist initially and then slowly pile up details, write down cliched assumptions, then reverse them just screams postmodernism to me, something which I love. Also, have you seen Inception? This has an almost similar ring to it.

Anyway, despite that, I do have one tiny nitpick though.

A teenage boy awoke to the sound of an uprising noise. He reluctantly stands from his average bed and shuts off his alarm clock.
    Here, you refer to the protagonist in the third person, but you quickly switch to the second person after a quick exposition on dreams. After that, it's back to the third person. Again, I'm going to say its jarring, but this time it's not really a good kind of jarring because, if you're going for aesthetics, it doesn't really feel right when you just switch like that. I mean, there are writers which pull of first person to third person in the same story wonderfully, but when you alternate between second and third person, you lose the personal bond you have with the reader by disassociating him/herself with the character by way of third-person pronouns. So yeah, it loses the effect you're trying to achieve there, definitely.

Secondly, why go with "Untitled"? The name is just...boring. It's not going to attract that many people.
    Yeah... we tend not to harp on titles when doing reviews. He could have chosen the most irrelevant title when writing the fic, but if it's interesting it will definitely attract readers. Unless of course, you're in a community which often requires you to sift through massive amounts of bad fiction on a daily basis. I don't think we here judge books by their covers.

BUT....since you seem to need help with getting a blast of insipration, I'm going to TRY to help. Pm me if you want it.
    Another thing, you don't ask people to PM you for critique. Just give it. Because, for one, it makes you look pretentious. And secondly, if you were to give the wrong advice, there would be no one to correct you.

Anyway, back to the fic, I just want to touch on a formatting error before leaving you to it. Please put a line before and after dialogue. It's the proper way to do it, and it doesn't make your writing look disorganized. Thanks.

Sorry my critique was a bit disorganized. Just woke up.
    Good luck in your further writing endeavors.

Nam

Years
    Thanks for commenting. xP

I admit I do have a problem with the first, second, and third person. But I was trying to give it.. the effect I had in my head. xD
    Have you ever watched a movie where suddenly someone narrates, as if they're telling you the story? Well, it's something like that. xP But I guess it isn't good when it involves books. ><

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I will try to improve it if I can actually think of something. If not, I'll improve it for future writings. ><

"Inspiration always rhymes with Imagination."-Xelarator

I like your phrase, but honestly nothing good comes from my head when I force it. Usually, everything comes to me at night; when I'm trying to sleep, or during a shower. But I guess it just means I have to take more time to think them through.

Edit: And as for the question about the movie "Inception", I have not seen it; but now that you mentioned it, I saw the trailer and I plan on watching it. It seems like a very good movie and I think I caught on to why you said it is similar to this unfinished fanfic.

Last edited:
    Back