• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: tag usernames in posts

Years
    I am against this idea. It would end up getting a little messy if I am honest; this isn't Facebook.

If you would like to see if anyone has spoke about you in a post, you can search your name and select 'posts' at the top right hand side of the forum, on Standing Nexus anyway.​

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    That would make PC similar to Twitter and such, which we're not. It would add unnecessary strain to the server, and I don't think this is needed..

Alternatively, you could use the [*user]Charizard★[/user*] which makes [user]Charizard★[/user].

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    It would be great to know if someone quoted a post of yours, or was talking about you. XenForo has it by default, and it's an awesome feature. :D

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I wouldn't mind the quote feature. It's been suggested before to what I assume was a negative decision but I don't remember the reasons.

But like Charizard said, if you want to mention someone's username with a link to their profile, there's a tag for that. It just won't let them know they've been mentioned. :P

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I wouldn't mind the quote feature. It's been suggested before to what I assume was a negative decision but I don't remember the reasons.

But like Charizard said, if you want to mention someone's username with a link to their profile, there's a tag for that. It just won't let them know they've been mentioned. :P

vaporeon7 likes this.
    tag usernames in posts

But all jokes aside, not being very similar to Facebook and other social media sites is a really good thing about PC. I can't see it being all that useful really, not many people mention others without quoting what they said. People might find it annoying, especially if they get mentioned a lot. I can see the point in the quoting though, but that'll probably clog up people's notifications.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    OK, I lurk here a lot and there's been something that's been bothering me. I don't know why people automatically say something isn't good just because it comes from Facebook or Twitter. I don't even use either much, but seriously (ignoring other possible criticism) if it makes interacting easier I don't know why those excuses crop up every other thread. VMs seem to be based at least a little on the wall feature of Facebook. I'm sure the people answering these sorts of threads most of the time would've said "this is pointless, we already have PMs/PC isn't Facebook" if VMs were suggested before it had been implemented here.

I've seen quote features on other forums, and they're great. If you post in a thread once then don't look back at it, you wouldn't know someone replied. I know that on other forums I don't use as much I end up forgetting about my past posts.

And bmgf actually has a "like" feature on posts, and you can see which user liked it just like Facebook and everything. It seems a nice little feature but it does look a bit cluttered and cheap.

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    OK, I lurk here a lot and there's been something that's been bothering me. I don't know why people automatically say something isn't good just because it comes from Facebook or Twitter. I don't even use either much, but seriously (ignoring other possible criticism) if it makes interacting easier I don't know why those excuses crop up every other thread. VMs seem to be based at least a little on the wall feature of Facebook. I'm sure the people answering these sorts of threads most of the time would've said "this is pointless, we already have PMs/PC isn't Facebook" if VMs were suggested before it had been implemented here.

I've seen quote features on other forums, and they're great. If you post in a thread once then don't look back at it, you wouldn't know someone replied. I know that on other forums I don't use as much I end up forgetting about my past posts.

And bmgf actually has a "like" feature on posts, and you can see which user liked it just like Facebook and everything. It seems a nice little feature but it does look a bit cluttered and cheap.
    More or less, I do agree with this. I am all for getting notified whenever you've been quoted. There are times when I post in a thread and don't go back to check if anyone has responded to my post, and simply it's because I sometimes forget to do so. I think the quote notifications would be a helpful addition to interacting with other members as well as helping certain threads be kept alive and keep discussion flowing.

As for the Like option, Audy I think had plans to work up a code to implement that idea. If I remember correctly, it would replace the Post Comment feature, but it wouldn't show the user names of those who "Liked" the post because of the same clutter reason. I don't know if Audy has begun working on this, but I'm sure it's on his "List of Things To Do."

Also, like almost everything else we have on here, I'm sure if you didn't like these features there would be the option to disable them.

Back