• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One of the best among us has died

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    https://plus.google.com/101960720994009339267/posts/ENuEDDYfvKP?hl=en

A little over forty years ago, a few guys decided to salvage a project that had been abandoned by AT&T Bell Labs, GE, and MIT. Among them was a researcher who had just recently obtained his Ph.D. from Harvard. That project, originally known as "Unics" (a pun on its predecessor, Multics), is better known today as UNIX. That man was known as Dennis Ritchie.

It has now been confirmed that Ritchie, one of the two greats who created the C programming language and a key player in the development of UNIX, has passed away. Known to many in the tech world as one of the fathers of modern computing, Ritchie's work continues to influence the direction of technological development even today. All of the common operating systems use C in some form, and many (especially Linux and Mac OS X, but even Windows to a degree) have their roots in UNIX.

I urge everyone to take a moment to pay your respects to a man who modern technology owes everything and who, I'm proud to say, was one of my personal heroes. Farewell, you magnificent man.

Years
    I'm someone who knows next to nothing about programming languages but even I know what without those languages we wouldn't have what we do today.
    We've lost a great man.

Minuteman III

More Boosters!
    Years
    ... Oh my god, I'm sad now.

Thanks for telling us. We wouldn't be typing this without him.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
    for (;;)
    {
    printf("Goodnight, dmr/n");
    }
    return (0);
    }

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I think I can tighten up your code a little.

int main(void)

{
    printf("Goodnight, dmr/n");
    }

return (0);
    Warning: printf not declared

It's good convention to #include the standard header and not just let the compiler shoot out errors.

And that /n should be a \n.

Also, you printf folk are silly. That line is just going to get optimized by the compiler into puts anyway.

Omitting the return is fine here, though I don't do it. Personal style.

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main()
    {
         puts("Goodbye, world. ;_;");
         return 0;
    }

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    When I first read the title I thought someone who frequented this particular forum died.

His death was at a bad time though since most people were still crying over Jobs's death. Come to think of it, there are still a lot crying over his death.

Back