• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] A Fresh Start

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • put the spoiler prefix so we can discuss, well, spoilery stuff. :x

So, when Ash starts a new region we all know that he leaves all of his old Pokemon behind and starts over (except for Johto). He goes through the new region catching new Pokemon and training them. But what I find odd is that at the Pokemon League he always calls upon his old Pokemon. Do you think this is kinda unfair? He goes through all the tough training with his Pokemon and eventually depends on his older Pokemon to win. which they dont For instance against Tobias he only used 1 Pokemon that he caught in that region and that was Gible.

So, do you think we're going to see Pignite, Scraggy, Unfezant, Snivy and company take on the league single handed or are we going to see Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile and the likes replace them?

We probably will but it's nice to hear opinions and such!! n_n

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    They sort of addressed this in the Ever Grande Conference, when he only used Pokémon he had caught in Hoenn + Pikachu.

I don't think it's the fact that he 'eventually depends on his older Pokemon to win' I think the only reason that happened during Tobias' match was because Ash had used his Sinnoh team already against Paul (excluding Gible) and they used Tobias' match as a way to spotlight the rest of his Pokémon. So yeah, I disagree that he depends on his previous Pokémon, as they haven't been given enough spotlight either. I suppose it's a nice we get to see them in battle anyway.

I think the fact the Best Wishes 2 opening finishes with only his Unova caught Pokémon in the stadium, could possible hint at him only using them. Though we also get to see the rest of his Pokémon in the lab, and considering Primeape and Charizard are there, it's probably because they are going to get some spotlight in the league. Charizard never got to compete in Sinnoh either which was a little upsetting. Though Bulbasaur and Squirtle are there too, which makes me think if it's just a pointless scene, or they'll be seen in the league. (although they could just ignore them during the league and focus an episode in the lab back in Pallet Town like they did during AG idk ;~;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2013
    In Johto he hadn't done the whole start fro scratch thing so he'd always had a mix of pokemon used in his johto journey so it didn't matter like he was abandoning his old pokemon.

In Hoenn he only used his own pokemon and in the Battle Frontier he used 1 or 2 of his old pokemon occasionally and had Phanphy travel with him. I don't think he abandoned his new pokemon here but some of them like Phanphy hadn't been shown much whilst Pokemon like Charizard were needed in order to successfully highlight Articuno.

Sinnoh was the first time he went back to his old pokemon and that was the reason it was the best conference so far.

I don't think this is a bad thing as we see his current team develop all year and it's not like all of them get forgotten.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I think like Mew said, Ash had already used his Sinnoh team against Paul so it'd be silly to keep using the same Pokémon throughout the whole tournament since it's supposed to be a case of surprising your opponent and not letting them prepare to fight your team. I expect Ash will end up doing the same thing in some of the Unova league matches since he has caught more than enough Pokémon to fill the battles (depending on how far he gets ofc), and he'll probably end up catching more then (I don't read spoilers so idk if this has been announced or not), so there's no real big need for him to call on his old Pokémon for the Unova league; especially since they were intending Unova to be a fresh start. However, depending on how many battles Ash faces in the Unova league, he may end up having to use some of his old Pokémon which would be great to see again <3

Back