• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you forced to buy a old Nintendo DS / DS Lite if you love the original series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2013
    Long story short, I' am one of those whom love the original Pokémon series with the original 151 pokémons. I won't go as far as claiming the newer series to be awful, but I for one simply can't keep up with several hundred different kinds of Pokémons, each becoming cuter and more child-friendly for each generation (so it seems).

I don't fancy these new "3D" effects of the latest Nintendo DS titles either, the tearing in the graphics makes my head hurt and I can't seem to take it for longer than max a hour for each playtime making progress going real slow..

So here I' am, I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since Game Boy Colour back in the day when I had a hell of a lot fun playing Pokémon Red, Yellow and Silver. I tried borrowing a friends Nintendo DS and gave Emerald and Platinum a spin and even-though Emerald felt okay I missed the good old days with the original 151 pokemon as I was never able to wrap my head around all these new kind of pokemons, I simply didn't have the time or the required motivation to read up and getting to know 100++ new pokemons. Platinum on the other hand I didn't feel like playing at all due to the added 3D-effects which hurt both my eyes and head and if you ask me they look like crap when they are so poorly executed with insane amount of tearing.

Which brings me back to hacked / modified versions of the originals (Red, Blue, Yellow or even Fire Red or Leaf Green) but after playing around with my brothers Nintendo DS Lite and his CycloDS Evolution it seems like I would be forced to get myself a old Nintendo DS or DS Lite in order to be able to play anything other than Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black or White?

Is there no way to get Red, Blue, Yellow or at least Fire Red or Leaf Green to run on the Nintendo DSi / DSi XL or the newer 3DS or 3DS XL as I'd want something newer than the old Nintendo DS / DS Lite in order to be able to play newer Mario and other titles not to mention that here in Norway the currently prices for new DS Lite consoles costs basically the same as a Nintendo 3DS which feels silly for such a old handheld console released several years ago. I could always grab a used one, but nothing beats the feeling of getting something new and unused compared to a beaten up two years+ used one.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    No you can't play GBA games (Fire Red/Leaf Green) on a DSi because the "i" series DS's sacrificed Backwards Compatibility for Internet and a Camera. You have to have a DS or DSlite to play GBA games. As for the original Red/Blue and Original Gold/Silver you have to have a Gameboy Advance or earlier system as they aren't compatible with the DS series at all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2013
    I´ve heard that you can use both Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DSi (not sure if either of the XL models works) with Supercard DSTWO in order to emulate GBA games?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    RamGuy, if you want to know more about the emulators, you would probably get better answers if you asked in Emulation. Also, although it's not a DS, you could also consider getting a Game Boy Advance SP to play the older games like Blue and Silver. It's in color, has a backlight, and you can stretch the screen with the L and R buttons (some people like it, some don't). That's how I prefer to play my older games nowadays. But yeah, without emulators, I don't think there's a way to play gen I and II games on any DS console. Like I said though, if you ask in the Emulation forum, you would probably get better answers about flash carts and such.

Here is the thread that you can ask: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=198232

Since this is more about emulators and not the games though, I'm gonna go ahead and close this. I hope you can find the answers you're looking for there and you get to enjoy the older games again. :)

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back