• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Starting a new game in Sapphire....

J-mo

Qaulity, not qauntity*
Years
  • Morning everyone. Im going to start a new game in my Sapphire version and was wondering could you lot help me out ?

I would like everyone's opinion on who the best starter would be, which Pokemon to catch and train up which will help later in the game, etc etc...

All view's and opinions are more than welcome.

Thank's,
    Jamie :)

Kyogre-chan

Banned
    Years
  • I, personally, am a fan of Treecko's agility, but I'll let you be the judge. Anyways, Treecko excels in speed, Mudkip excels in attack, and Torchic excels in defense. ;)

I can't help you much beyond what I have, seeing as I just build up my team with Pok?mon that I like, rather than strong Pok?mon. Just use your instincts. :)

firemaster

Art Martyr
    Years
  • i reccoment filling your team with zigzagoons, atleast at the start.

Their special ability, pickup, will give you loads of rare stuff you cant get until later in game (if at all)

I'd take mudkip myself, although for a water type he could use a bit more special attack...

speaking of he, make sure he's a she....
    If you have a female you can breed it later in game, and possibly trade it to your friensd for another fairly hard to get pokemon....

C.O.H

Patrick Star
    Years
  • The Pokemon straters all do something good:

Trecko- Is very usable in the gyms but not so in the Elite Four

Mudkip- Is normal in the gyms and normal in Elite 4

Torchic- Good in the gyms, the last gym can be hard though, but it takes the whole elite four just like that (with the right moves: Blaze Kick, Slash, Double Kick and Sky Uppercut)

Hope that is helpfull enough XP

Emerald Queen

Dragon Training Apprentice
    Years
  • I'd go for Mudkip as a starter: it's strong against rock types ( Roxanne), and can learn and be taught ground moves. You'll need a good strong ground type against Wattson and his Electric/Steel types. I'd also catch zigzagoon, for its Pickup, and because it learns some fairly strong attacks as it level up. You might want to catch a Ralts ( train up to face Brawley, then PC) A Numel ( for Glacias Ice types) Poochyena for the Mossdeep gym ( paired up with Mudkip, this should wipe out solrock and lunatone), and an electrike to train up for Fortree. Of course, it you choose to teach your zigzagoon/linoone Shockwave, a pre electric type won't be necessary.
    Kyogre can be taught dive, surf, waterfall and Ice beam. all useful for ko-ing Drake's dragons. And if you've trained up well, you should have a good, well balanced team for taking on Steven's Steel types...

Of course, this is just my opinion! ;)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Treecko - Quite good early on, but doesn't really fair that well against the E4
    Torchic - Starts off quite slowly, but then can be a big help with the E4
    Mudkip - Kinda inbetween, but very slow compared to the others

If you don't mind the speed problem, then go for Mudkip, but otherwise go for Torchic IMO. ^_^

smithy.boy

Hack and PKMN egg farmer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2022
    i love mudkip, but i torchic and treckos final evolves are wicked.

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
    Years
  • smithy.boy said:
    i love mudkip, but i torchic and treckos final evolves are wicked.

i think treecko and mudkip are good starters on the game because it will do a lot of good against the 1st gym leader. :D

Tamer Marco

Elite Trainer
    Years
  • Its how you want your game to go. If you want a easy time, go with Torchic, if you want a slightly harder time, go with Mudkip, and for a hard time i'd go with Treecko. But, there isn't a "best", or "better" starter.

G-Klav

Meh, what should this here say
    Years
  • Porygon said:
    I generally find that a Shroomish can beat her singlehandedly. Just catch one, level it on the gym trainers [easy enough], and take her on. Never failed me.

I second that. ^^

The starter isn't really that important, as long as you're a player skilled enough to catch and train other Pok?mon. Which I believe you are ^^

Just go with the one you like, think is cute, etc.

Porygon

Banned
    Years
  • Oh, one other thing? if you decide to go the route of Shedinja, trust me, they are as hard to train as people say. Almost every opponent you'll face can take it down.

And DON'T battle with them in the desert unless you're confident you can OHKO everything in there XD

Years
  • You might want to catch a Ralts ( train up to face Brawley, then PC)
    [/QUOTE]
    well, i've always used dustox for that, and i've always used lotad/lombre for the first gum.

i usualy use mudkip, because i don't like torchic because my friend always uses that pokemon, and i can't beat it, not even with a blastoise...

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    dunno bout the starter...but na wingull is a good thing to have early on...so is combusken...uhh and shroomish

J-mo

Qaulity, not qauntity*
    Years
  • Thank's alot guys, appreciate it :classic:

I think Im going to go with Torchic, and I was thinking about going for Zigzagoon and Poochyena while in work today. I also fancy a Dustox, as they look pretty cool, what do you reckon ?

C.O.H, all those moves you listed for Blaziken, does He/She learn them as it level's up ? Yeah ? (I've never really used Blaziken before xD)

Thank's,
    Jamie :D

Back