• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would this be a good desktop?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm planning to build a desktop PC very soon, and was wondering what other people would think about it.

Comments?

This PC will probably be used as more of a mid-range gaming PC that also happens to be good at things that a desktop PC does, anyway. The power supply may or may not be iffy, depending on who you ask, so...yeah, that's the thing.

Outside of the power supply, I think everything else should work like a charm

From my personal experience, even older 7200 RPM SATA2 HDDs make 5400RPM laptop HDDs look like snails, let alone a modern 2TB WD Black, so I guess I don't have to get an SSD just to make sure that the system isn't a turtle. The warranty helps a lot, too.

The Core i5 would be more than fast enough in almost everything. Even though it's not the top-of-the-line consumer CPU you can get, or even the latest (Broadwell and Skylake are now out now), to me, I value getting more for the budget I pay for. Also, I don't intend to overclock, either, so I think I'll use the stock fans. Unlike laptops, it should be able to keep it cool enough, no? (I'd only be concerned if it keeps hitting 90 degrees Celsius under normal load.)

The graphics card would go really well with the CPU, too, and it'd be overkill if I went with something better than a GTX 960 for my purposes - after all, 1080p gaming should be like chump change to this video card.

I think I really like what's featured in this case if what I'm seeing on the Internet is true... it has modern sensibilities, but is still relatively affordable.

The motherboard is excellent for what it is, and it doesn't have anything that I don't need. Well, except for that M.2 slot, but I consider it a bonus. That slot seems obligatory in any halfway-decent H97 or Z97 motherboard, anyway.

A single stick of 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM should work, especially when you're not using the integrated graphics for playing video games - not that you'd want to if you're using a separate video card anyway. Either way, a single, denser module is quite a bit cheaper than two lesser modules, so yeah.

(Man, am I glad that things like PCPartPicker exists now.)

(Fun fact: all the parts I've listed are things that are easily obtainable for me.)

Years
    PC Part Picker is excellent.

Now, I'm just gonna make suggestions based on what price ranges you're giving since I don't know your budget. But as a whole it's not a bad build. Few things...

Mobo - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130779&cm_re=Z97-_-13-130-779-_-Product

A little cheaper, more features, more memory standard options for ram just in case you plan on OCing/upgrading anytime later. No reason not to go for the Z97 series tbh. If you want to stay on the ASRock/H97 train, (or you just hate MSI):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512

RAM - Seems fine. No experience with Crucial but I know people who use their stuff with no issues. $ per GB seems neato too.

Storage - I'm gonna be that guy and say get 2x1TBs but if you don't plan on going OD and setting up RAID or something I'm gonna leave it alone. Can't go wrong with WD Blacks ever.

GPU - You're good.

Case - Now here is where I'm kinda iffy, cause I don't like going for a budget case all the time, and the 100R has meh cable management from what I'm told. I'd say spend the extra bucks and get a better one. If you don't want to go too high, try this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227

If you're still trying to stay budget, the NZXT Sources are a good option: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146075

PSU - I don't see any issues. Can't find anything cheaper either.

That's all I got for you at the moment.

EDIT: I would say get an aftermarket fan for the CPU just on principle, but you don't really need to if you're trying to save. Cooler is better (and I still have yet to crack more than 42 Celsius on my CPU while overclocked and playing stuff so I guess there's that, but again, you aren't overclocking.)

If you go for a fan ever, the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or 212 Evo are the best you can get without going too high in the price range. TX3 is great value for cost and quiet, 212 is the same but x2.

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Mobo - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130779&cm_re=Z97-_-13-130-779-_-Product

A little cheaper, more features, more memory standard options for ram just in case you plan on OCing/upgrading anytime later. No reason not to go for the Z97 series tbh. If you want to stay on the ASRock/H97 train, (or you just hate MSI):
    That's a really cheap Z97 motherboard, IMO. His H97 board has the same upgradeability as that board, since the PCI bus is slow and isn't even part of modern chipsets anymore... and his board is smaller. Not to mention by getting that hunk of a board he gets half as many on-board USB 3 ports.

The Z97 series is intended for enthusiasts and gamers, people who are usually marked to spend more on their PC than others. It's a much wiser idea to get a high-quality motherboard that suits your needs than to go for a chipset you don't need (he said he wasn't overclocking) and get crappy features. After all, that's the whole reason people pay more for motherboards – features, features, features. If he was overclocking I would not recommend the Z97 PC Mate as it's somewhat bad value for your money.

As for the build, the only thing I'd change would be the RAM – get something faster, and not-ugly please! The latencies on generic RAM tend to be crappier than their shiny counterparts... Get some HyperX Furies at least, if not 1600MHz HyperX Savages.

Other than that, it looks alright. I wish you the best of luck!

Years
    That's a really cheap Z97 motherboard, IMO. His H97 board has the same upgradeability as that board, since the PCI bus is slow and isn't even part of modern chipsets anymore... and his board is smaller. Not to mention by getting that hunk of a board he get's half as many on-board USB 3 ports.

The Z97 series is intended for enthusiasts and gamers, people who are usually marked to spend more on their PC than others. It's a much wiser idea to get a high-quality motherboard that suits your needs than to go for a chipset you don't need (he said he wasn't overclocking) and get crappy features. After all, that's the whole reason people pay more for motherboards – features, features, features. If he was overclocking I would not recommend the Z97 PC Mate as it's very bad value for your money.

Iunno man, the PC Mate isn't necessarily bad; I suppose in Twig's case it doesn't matter since he isn't OCing, but it isn't a terrible option for it. I suppose you could go for something more high-end in comparison, but again, I'm not sure of the budget here. Otherwise I'd say something more along the lines of a G43, but to each his own.

In regards to the ports, I don't sincerely think that you'd be using all of those ports anyway. I feel like that's just a small nitpick :v

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Iunno man, the PC Mate isn't necessarily bad; I suppose in Twig's case it doesn't matter since he isn't OCing, but it isn't a terrible option for it. I suppose you could go for something more high-end in comparison, but again, I'm not sure of the budget here. Otherwise I'd say something more along the lines of a G43, but to each his own.

In regards to the ports, I don't sincerely think that you'd be using all of those ports anyway. I feel like that's just a small nitpick :v
    Well, I have the H97 PC Mate (not terribly different from the Z97 one) right here, and I wish I had returned it because it kinda blows. :p

Yeah, he may not use all of them, but why not have them for pretty much the same money? Also, I think he really likes having Micro ATX boards for whatever reason, which is why I think he picked that.

Also, the MSi Z97-G43 is excellent value for a motherboard. :D

Years
    Well, I have the H97 PC Mate (not terribly different from the Z97 one) right here, and I wish I had returned it because it kinda blows. :p

Yeah, he may not use all of them, but why not have them for pretty much the same money? Also, I think he really likes having Micro ATX boards for whatever reason, which is why I think he picked that.

Also, the MSi Z97-G43 is excellent value for a motherboard. :D

LMAO Damn, what didn't you like about it?

I mean yeah, might as well take the extra ports. Can't argue there.

And yeah, the G43 is the truth. I was going to get it but it just so happened that my Fry's Electronics was out of stock, and I really didn't have the time to wait on my PC since I had just moved into my place (And had no other way to order it lmao) so I went and got the MSI Gaming 3. Which isn't bad from my experiences.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Actually, I might just skip straight to the MSI H97 Gaming 3 and their GTX 960 with the Twin Frozr... That is if the premium isn't too bad. (It shouldn't, and no one's overclocking anything.)

(If I'm going that way, rest assured that I'll be getting some RAM modules with red heatsinks and good latency.)

Though there is the thing of getting enough computer...

Years
    Actually, I might just skip straight to the MSI H97 Gaming 3 and their GTX 960 with the Twin Frozr... That is if the premium isn't too bad. (It shouldn't, and no one's overclocking anything.)

(If I'm going that way, rest assured that I'll be getting some RAM modules with red heatsinks and good latency.)

Though there is the thing of getting enough computer...

I've heard good things about the Twin Frozer in the sense that it's reliable as all hell. Once again, since you aren't OCing...take that freebie lmao

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've heard good things about the Twin Frozer in the sense that it's reliable as all hell. Once again, since you aren't OCing...take that freebie lmao

Everyone that doesn't use the reference cooler sticks overkill coolers on their GTX 960s anyway.

If only I could get the 4GB version of the video cards, but nobody here has them, last time I have checked.

Years
    Everyone that doesn't use the reference cooler sticks overkill coolers on their GTX 960s anyway.

If only I could get the 4GB version of the video cards, but nobody here has them, last time I have checked.

Here

Thank you Arceus for letting me change the text, newegg links are ugly af

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Here

Thank you Arceus for letting me change the text, newegg links are ugly af

I must have failed to mention that I don't live in the US :)

Newegg prices are irrelevant. :P

I don't even want to get my parts online anyway, so yeah, availability IS an issue.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Twiggy, let me say this on the behalf of all my posts

You killing a brotha right now

*hides*

Haha, but yeah, I do use PCPP but only to assemble a list quickly and to check for compatibility.

Truth to be told, though, I think I might also see if going to the i5-4690K might be too much or not. Perhaps I'll also toss in an aftermarket cooler and play with the clock multiplier.

Years
    Uhh...You'd be shelling out an extra 60-70 here in the states in comparison to the 4490. I'd say it's worth it but hey

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Uhh...You'd be shelling out an extra 60-70 here in the states in comparison to the 4490. I'd say it's worth it but hey

Mmm hmm, but think about it... If I'm able to pull off a decent overclock, then it would pay for itself! Though I will need to get a Z board... I don't trust H overclocking to stick.

Years
    Mmm hmm, but think about it... If I'm able to pull off a decent overclock, then it would pay for itself! Though I will need to get a Z board... I don't trust H overclocking to stick.

I'm OCing mine to 4GHz with no issues in the MSI Gaming 3. You could go that route, or get a G43, or (Nick is gonna hate me for suggesting it) the PC Mate Z97. I mean you have a lot of options, it just comes down to how much you want to spend. But if you were gonna go for a Gaming 3, I'd just look into a G43 before you do that.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm OCing mine to 4GHz with no issues in the MSI Gaming 3. You could go that route, or get a G43, or (Nick is gonna hate me for suggesting it) the PC Mate Z97. I mean you have a lot of options, it just comes down to how much you want to spend. But if you were gonna go for a Gaming 3, I'd just look into a G43 before you do that.

Hehe.

Though, I do really want all the nice things that come with a dedicated gaming motherboard. Heh.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    After checking out things again and redoing some things, I've arrived at three possible builds. (Ignore PCPartPicker pricing!)

First, the build that goes with the MSI theme. This should maximize the amount of features and performance I can get with the computer while keeping the budget in check. (Seeing a Z97 board on a non-OC processor? You're not alone - I couldn't find the H97 Gaming 3.)

After that, the build that sticks to Asus. Realistically speaking, it's almost identical to the MSI build, but with Asus parts instead. It does loses some points on aesthetics, and you get a H97 board, but on the other hand, it's cheaper, and the Ethernet controller is a known quantity.

I've also tried to optimize out the cost out of the initial build and this is what I've arrived at. This pretty much cuts out all the fluff and just gives you enough performance. Though it's also the least feature-ful of the systems...

Decisions are hard. (I might mix and match, so long as the system doesn't look like a kludge in the end.)

Back