• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon R3D and Green 3D [recruiting]

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
INTRO
This is an idea I had after hearing about the Gen VI games Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the first ever 3DS remakes of earlier core series games. I thought to myself, "Why not make a Gen VI remake of Pokémon Red and Blue?" This remake will contain a lot of mechanics which debuted since FireRed and LeafGreen, and there will also be some nostalgia factor. It is my desire to build a team which will help me develop a quality and creative pair of Gen VI Kanto remakes which span three regions, one of which is on the other side of the globe!

Anyone who is interested, please feel free to sign up! Right now, I'm in need of maps, sprites, music, code, characters and stories for the third region... whatever you might want to do, let me know! (This also goes for those who may be interested in joining the engine team, which will work on Project Vulpix, the GameStudio-derived engine for this game.)

Artwork to come soon, and when it does, it'll reflect how the characters will look in the final product. For now, here's some background on these, to my knowledge the first ever fan-created Gen VI Kanto remakes.

BACKGROUND AND PLOT
In 1990, an ambitious businessman, Michele Giovanni, visited the Caribbean on a business trip. What he saw astounded him: a theme park with attractions featuring live dinosaurs! He asked how it was possible. "DNA cloning," said one of the scientists at the park. "We extract blood from old amber in which mosquitoes have been fossilized, and from that we extract the DNA and produce a clone which is grown in these laboratories."

Seeing a lot of potential in the cloning business, Giovanni recruited some of the park's best scientists to work for him from their own private laboratory on Cinnabar Island. Little did those scientists know that there was something else going on. Something bigger...

Five years later, a 10-year-old was about to receive a Pokémon License from Professor Samuel Oak, a renowned celebrity and Pokémon Professor who worked from a humble little hamlet called Pallet Town. The soon-to-be-newly-minted Trainer, upon receiving the call, went looking for him but couldn't find him in his lab or his grandson Blue's place. Not content with waiting, the youth decided to look around Route 1... only for the Pokémon Professor to intercept the Trainer-to-be. "Whew! That was close!" Oak said upon catching up with and dragging the stunned youth out of the grass before a flock of Pidgey could strike. "Wild Pokémon live in tall grass. You need your own Pokémon for your protection."

Suddenly remembering why he called the youth, he took his grandson's rival to his lab. The newly-minted Trainer was given a choice between three Pokémon, as was Blue. As the young Trainer was about to leave, having chosen, Blue issued a challenge and battled the surprised Trainer. After the battle, both Blue and the Trainer proceeded northward, where a world of dreams and adventures awaited...

FEATURES
- Not just adventures on Kanto and the Sevii Islands, but also a whole new realm called Albion, north of Kalos, where you can take on another set of Gym Leaders and find and obtain even more Pokémon.
- Horde Encounters, hidden Pokémon, and seemingly dead ends that lead to secret Hidden Grottos where more surprises await.
- Saffron International Airport, unimportant at first but later you can go from there to Albion.
- Various tasks to complete via Entralink for a wide variety of Trainers.
- A gradually expanding Pokédex, which will allow you to find out about Pokémon (up to 721 in all!) that even Professor Oak, in all his years of research, never knew about.
- New friends and new enemies with whom to battle.
- Even more!

PROGRESS
In its earliest possible stages.

- Background and plot
- Primitive map of Albion (may need refining)

ARTWORK
TBA.

CREDITS
Spoiler:

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Thanks! Are you interested in working on this with me? What are among your skills?

I wasn't planning on joining the team but since you asked, my skills are currently limited to story elements and other similar things. However since you asked me I wouldn't mind offering my help there in areas you haven't already covered. In fact I know quite a bit about dinosaurs which would work with the backstory you have planned on one hand, plus it'd help with aspects of certain pokedex data be it actual fossil pokemon or not. I can provide you a few sample text I devised on my own to help explain my point better.

Pokedex Entry # 679
Name: Tyrantrum
Despot Pokémon

Tyrantrum is an extinct class of therapod dinosaur pokemon, within the order ceolurosauria (Hollow Lizards). It is a close cousin of the infamous Tyrannosaurus Rex, found in most strata in the northern hemisphere. This beast's power was unrivaled, so much so that the only thing that stopped it was the asteroid collision that ended the Cretaceous.

Pokedex Entry # 131
Name: Lapras
Transport Pokémon

Lapras is the last plesiosaur; a species of marine reptile that was thought to have gone extinct. In the time since the cretaceous Lapras' ancestors gained the ability to control ice and have become able to survive the global cooling resulting from the fallout from the asteroid impact. Today Lapras are very endangered due to their gentle demeanor making them easy to capture.

Pokedex Entry # 567
Name: Archeops
First Bird Pokémon

The evolved form of Archen. While Archen itself was the ancestor of all bird pokemon, Archeops oddly enough had no new lineage come from it. Archeops' behavior as hinted in the fossil record and in the studies based on revived specimens help exlain why as Archeops' behavior is very much similar to dromeosaurids such as Velociraptor or Deinonychus, as they were accomplished pack hunters that could sprint at 60 MPH. They have traits of the tiny Microraptor as well, as their feathered arms and wings enable them to glide, but unlike Microraptor they were not limited to the use of a launch platform as they could run and then catch air by jumping once at full speed.

Those are just a few examples, and I doubt all the text could be used in any of these examples in-game but I figured helping to tie the real world more would help since the main games have always hinted animals and ther aspects of the real world exist within the pokemon world (especially when we factor Mew was from South America), and given some other things from the magna and anime it would only be logical to leave a few hints here and there, which I can easily help provide. If You are sucsessful in replicating the 6th gen game engine beyond just the 3D pokemon models it'd be relatively easy to flesh out the real world elements more to help tie in with the story.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I wasn't planning on joining the team but since you asked, my skills are currently limited to story elements and other similar things. However since you asked me I wouldn't mind offering my help there in areas you haven't already covered. In fact I know quite a bit about dinosaurs which would work with the backstory you have planned on one hand, plus it'd help with aspects of certain pokedex data be it actual fossil pokemon or not. I can provide you a few sample text I devised on my own to help explain my point better.

Pokedex Entry # 679
Name: Tyrantrum
Despot Pokémon

Tyrantrum is an extinct class of therapod dinosaur pokemon, within the order ceolurosauria (Hollow Lizards). It is a close cousin of the infamous Tyrannosaurus Rex, found in most strata in the northern hemisphere. This beast's power was unrivaled, so much so that the only thing that stopped it was the asteroid collision that ended the Cretaceous.

Pokedex Entry # 131
Name: Lapras
Transport Pokémon

Lapras is the last plesiosaur; a species of marine reptile that was thought to have gone extinct. In the time since the cretaceous Lapras' ancestors gained the ability to control ice and have become able to survive the global cooling resulting from the fallout from the asteroid impact. Today Lapras are very endangered due to their gentle demeanor making them easy to capture.

Pokedex Entry # 567
Name: Archeops
First Bird Pokémon

The evolved form of Archen. While Archen itself was the ancestor of all bird pokemon, Archeops oddly enough had no new lineage come from it. Archeops' behavior as hinted in the fossil record and in the studies based on revived specimens help exlain why as Archeops' behavior is very much similar to dromeosaurids such as Velociraptor or Deinonychus, as they were accomplished pack hunters that could sprint at 60 MPH. They have traits of the tiny Microraptor as well, as their feathered arms and wings enable them to glide, but unlike Microraptor they were not limited to the use of a launch platform as they could run and then catch air by jumping once at full speed.

Those are just a few examples, and I doubt all the text could be used in any of these examples in-game but I figured helping to tie the real world more would help since the main games have always hinted animals and ther aspects of the real world exist within the pokemon world (especially when we factor Mew was from South America), and given some other things from the magna and anime it would only be logical to leave a few hints here and there, which I can easily help provide. If You are sucsessful in replicating the 6th gen game engine beyond just the 3D pokemon models it'd be relatively easy to flesh out the real world elements more to help tie in with the story.

Thanks, and welcome to the club.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Why are you not helping the Infernal Red maker?

I checked it out, and it uses the outdated Essentials + EBS combo. I'm actively seeking an engine designer that can produce a Gen VI-compatible engine, because this will be unambiguously Gen VI in every single possible way (up to and including the way it looks). Of course, I am willing to share ideas for Infernal Red if the maker wishes to share ideas for this one.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I checked it out, and it uses the outdated Essentials + EBS combo(lol? Essentials 15.1 and EBS are both new, and constantly kept up to date). I'm actively seeking an engine designer that can produce a Gen VI-compatible engine, because this will be unambiguously Gen VI in every single possible way (up to and including the way it looks).

If you're looking for someone to make you a whole engine (3D engine no less) from the ground up, you'll have better luck just using the already existing tools, and getting something actually done. Right now you're wasting everyone's time. Creating this new engine is a huge task for anyone to undertake, and you don't seem to want to partake in the creation of this engine, so I don't know why someone else would. If someone could make the entire engine themselves, what would they need you for? They could just make their own 3D remake of the first gens. If you want to encourage people to actively partake in the actual development of your game, you need to provide proof of a skillset that extends beyond the "I can make a thread on Pokecommunity".

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
If you're looking for someone to make you a whole engine (3D engine no less) from the ground up, you'll have better luck just using the already existing tools, and getting something actually done. Right now you're wasting everyone's time. Creating this new engine is a huge task for anyone to undertake, and you don't seem to want to partake in the creation of this engine, so I don't know why someone else would. If someone could make the entire engine themselves, what would they need you for? They could just make their own 3D remake of the first gens. If you want to encourage people to actively partake in the actual development of your game, you need to provide proof of a skillset that extends beyond the "I can make a thread on Pokecommunity".

Now that you mention it, I think I read somewhere here about a game being developed with a reverse engineering of the OR/AS engine, so there's a possibility. (Oh, and I only consider Essentials + EBS to be outdated because it can't do true Gen VI, as you pointed out earlier. Outdated? Probably. Obsolete? Not quite.)

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
You're missing my point. If you want to make the game, you'll actually have to make the game. Some work, other than the "creative directing" nonsense (politely put) will have to come from you. From your current attitude, you just want your vague idea to, POOF, magically pop into existence in the form of a game. And I bet you want to take the game as your own and call it your game (since you're already going around the forums telling other people that you're are giving them competition, where if fact you're not, since you haven't done anything).

I think you should be a little more realistic about what you can or are prepared to do. If the only thing you can bring to the table, is supplying general ideas, then your skill set is better off applied as contribution to another project, under someone else's creative management.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
You're missing my point. If you want to make the game, you'll actually have to make the game. Some work, other than the "creative directing" nonsense (politely put) will have to come from you. From your current attitude, you just want your vague idea to, POOF, magically pop into existence in the form of a game. And I bet you want to take the game as your own and call it your game (since you're already going around the forums telling other people that you're are giving them competition, where if fact you're not, since you haven't done anything).

I think you should be a little more realistic about what you can or are prepared to do. If the only thing you can bring to the table, is supplying general ideas, then your skill set is better off applied as contribution to another project, under someone else's creative management.

Well, if I'm supposed to actually design the engine, I'm going to need to know how to design an engine. For example: how was Essentials created? Plus, you can't realistically expect a game to be a one-man job, either. I already have someone on the story personnel and an eventer, apart from myself. How about someone who can do original art for the game, plus someone who can rearrange existing tunes and/or compose new tunes? I'm still looking for those, for example.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Well, if I'm supposed to actually design the engine, I'm going to need to know how to design an engine.

If you can't currently make an engine, go learn a proper programming language, look up tutorials, and spend a long ass time honing your skills before you'll actually be able to program a whole game. If you don't feel like doing that, use the tools that are already up for grabs. Or go into ROM Hacking. That'll provide you with the official engine of the games (you'll still have a really steep learning curve for that to though). Either way, you're going to have to pick up some skills to do something other than opening MS Word 2013, and recruiting people on the forums.

Right now, you can't contribute in any way of the actual game development, and are seeking people to do that for you. Several problems with that. Big one being that you want to recruit people who have higher skills/experience in game dev than you, and want to still remain the creative manager/director. Having the least experienced member of the team be the director of the team? Those never work. Another problem is, you haven't sparked up any interesting/compelling reasons why being a part of your team is not a waste of time, and why someone should invest their time into helping you with your game. There have been plenty of folks like you around, who wanted recruit a team to do this and that, and now they're gone with the wind.

You're presenting a generically written story, about another generic Kanto remake (which there are a billion of), that's supposed to function like yet another generic Pokemon game. Personally, you didn't get my blood pumping with any of that. And I don't hear the rest of the forum screaming with excitement either.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
If you can't currently make an engine, go learn a proper programming language, look up tutorials, and spend a long ass time honing your skills before you'll actually be able to program a whole game. If you don't feel like doing that, use the tools that are already up for grabs. Or go into ROM Hacking. That'll provide you with the official engine of the games (you'll still have a really steep learning curve for that to though). Either way, you're going to have to pick up some skills to do something other than opening MS Word 2013, and recruiting people on the forums.

Right now, you can't contribute in any way of the actual game development, and are seeking people to do that for you. Several problems with that. Big one being that you want to recruit people who have higher skills/experience in game dev than you, and want to still remain the creative manager/director. Having the least experienced member of the team be the director of the team? Those never work. Another problem is, you haven't sparked up any interesting/compelling reasons why being a part of your team is not a waste of time, and why someone should invest their time into helping you with your game. There have been plenty of folks like you around, who wanted recruit a team to do this and that, and now they're gone with the wind.

You're presenting a generically written story, about another generic Kanto remake (which there are a billion of), that's supposed to function like yet another generic Pokemon game. Personally, you didn't get my blood pumping with any of that. And I don't hear the rest of the forum screaming with excitement either.

Right, well... I won't be expecting the engine development to be a one-man job, either. Frankly, I'll also be needing someone who knows IZ3D to assist with any original engine for this game. Yes, I know IZ3D is more or less defunct, but I still swear by it when playing N64 games. Why IZ3D, you may ask? Just the first 3D driver to come to mind, really.

Also, I don't know whether I'll be going the "from the ground up" approach or the "ROM hacking" approach if engine development is to fall upon me. I'll keep you updated on which one I ultimately go with for this project, though.

ETA: Wikipedia seems to have a list of game engines I could possibly use, such as Delta3D, Gamestudio, Godot (which at this point would be kind of appropriate), and Torque 3D. Perhaps the maker(s) of Pokémon Essentials would like to give those a try for the true Gen VI experience? (I'd also like to recommend such 3D engines as I've already mentioned to anyone in the Gen VI game developing business.)

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
There are plenty of 3D engines out there, yes. Unity, UDK, CryEngine...so what? None of them have any public Pokemon related systems to run a fully capable Pokemon game. So you're still at 0, and you'd still need to do all of the work from the ground up.

Perhaps the maker(s) of Pokémon Essentials would like to give those a try for the true Gen VI experience?

Lol, why instead of trying to delegate your work onto the rest of the world, you do something about it yourself? Perhaps the community doesn't want a 3D starter kit? Perhaps introducing 3D models makes it too difficult for regular fangame devs/artists to customize? Perhaps no one really cares about the true gen VI experience, as there are plenty of great fangames that don't utilize such an engine? Perhaps the developer of Pokemon Essentials has something better to do with his life, than dropping everything and making a 3D engine for you? Lot's of perhaps...

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
There are plenty of 3D engines out there, yes. Unity, UDK, CryEngine...so what? None of them have any public Pokemon related systems to run a fully capable Pokemon game. So you're still at 0, and you'd still need to do all of the work from the ground up.

Which is where the mappers and model makers and others dealing with the 3D aspects of the game come in. Like I said, making a fully Gen VI-compatible engine isn't going to be a one-man job. What would you say if I decide to use Gamestudio for this one? Of course, then there's the problem of finding those who would be capable of mapping and 3D modeling and whatnot... but then, those problems would exist for other 3D game engines.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
You do realize that this is what your game plan sounds like:

"Hi, I am presenting to you my game. It is a 3D remake of the gen one games. It is run by a fully functional 3D engine, that I don't know how to make, and don't really want to participate in making, so I need someone to do it for me. The game will feature full 3D models, that I can't be bothered to invest any time in, so I'm looking for someone to do that. You'll be able to experience the land of Kanto like never before. But I don't really want to learn anything about that, so I need a good mapper who will map up to GameFreak's current standards. To boost your nostalgia, you will be accompanied by beautiful music, that I won't have any hand in whatsoever, since I don't know anything about making music, and don't really want to either, so please let me know if you're interested in doing that.

Apart from Kanto, you'll be able to visit a brand new region! I don't have any ideas for it yet, and haven't designed the region. I don't really feel like doing all that work, so I need someone to design a whole new region, draw it and all the characters, gym leaders etc for it, and report to me for quality control. Mappers and 3D artists rejoice, because you'll have to then turn all those designs into a lush 3D world. I also need someone to design a whole new story arc, and balancing for this new region. I'd do it myself, but at this point it seems like too much work.

So this is my game. I will be in charge of it. I won't be contributing much to it, apart from the occasional posts on the forum, but I'll make sure to brand this game (that I had no hand in making) under my own name, and I shall promote it through my media of choice. All you team members, that can contribute more to the game and the community than I, please report to me first since I'm in charge of this project."

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
You know, I actually DID design the original region (or, at least, how it basically looks). It's based on England, and I already did a rough sketch of it using MS Paint. I'll upload the rudimentary design for Albion as soon as I possibly can. (There aren't any dungeon stages marked, though, but that doesn't mean there won't be; I just haven't thought of any places to put dungeons yet.)

UPDATE: I've already figured out two names: Tributary Town, where the protagonist of a future project will reside (location roughly relative to Stratford-upon-Avon), and Riverton City, where the Fighting-type Gym is located (location roughly relative to London).

UPDATE 2:

Albion%252520map%252520%252528primitive%252529.png

Here's the map of Albion, which will feature both here and in a future project which will attempt to connect it with Kalos a la the Metal Gen games. By the time I got around to posting this initial map here, I thought of a few dungeon spots (all marked in red), one of which I labelled (guess what) Victory Road. Did I place the dungeons carefully enough? (Towns and cities, by the way, are marked with green squares.)

Oh, compare it with this map of England.

UPDATE 3: I'm going to download Gamestudio this week and prepare to orient myself with it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 11, 2015
Intrested project....so just wanna ask, have you tried to work on unity? As this game gonna be tile based (i am not an exert or some kind) but just an advice ...
1. make a roster and checklist for the game you are trying to make and publish it on the community.. not saying that your project seems bad..its awesome but try to
2. make something a bit different
3. keep 4-6 layers in your game engine so that you can show other effects like weather effects, light effects lamps at different level of position so that it does give a look of 3d
4. try to decide the concept art (its obvious you will need concept artists)
5. make your game engine compatible to better pixel tiles that is make those sprites of higher resolution soo you really can get an awesome good looking better and different game.

and at last Good luck for your project would love to see your badass game ...and yess one more ...make your game different from others elsewise it will be lost in the sace time continum.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
make a roster and checklist for the game you are trying to make and publish it on the community.. not saying that your project seems bad..its awesome but try to

Question: what exactly do you mean "roster and checklist"? (As of writing, I assume by "roster" you mean who's handling what.)

make something a bit different

Believe me, there will be at least one shakeup, and I know one which will feature in the game will take place in Cerulean Gym (specifically, the swimsuits are getting kind of stale in my humble opinion, so I'm going to do a bait-and-switch involving Misty and one of the lesser trainers involving costume design).

keep 4-6 layers in your game engine so that you can show other effects like weather effects, light effects lamps at different level of position so that it does give a look of 3d

I'll forward that to the engine personnel, including the eventers (like I said earlier, the engine won't be a one-man job; everyone on the engine squad will share what they can do with it with each other).

try to decide the concept art (its obvious you will need concept artists)

I think I found someone, but he hasn't been on here in two and a half weeks. In the meantime, can you do art of similar quality?

make your game engine compatible to better pixel tiles that is make those sprites of higher resolution soo you really can get an awesome good looking better and different game.

I'll make sure everyone on engine duty keeps that in mind.

Last edited:
Back