• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about chatspeak?

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 8, 2012
Words like u and things like that, express it here!

Honestly, I think it makes the person look foolish >>

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
I don't like it :\ If people are too lazy to spell the actual word then thats sad x.x But yeah its annoying :p

Kyogre-chan

Banned
Years
omg typin lik dis iz awsome cuz im pwn you all da kewl kids typ lyk dis coz itz cool lolz!!!!!11oneoneone

…In other words, it thoroughly annoys me. >>;

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 23, 2014
It's kinda annoying. <<; I try to type as throughly as possible, and my eyes hurt reading that. o.x;

*post dedicated to Eli*

Years
About the only thing I accept when it comes to chatspeak of any kind are some acronyms, especially the more common ones (like "lol"), since I tend to use those myself...

But anything other than that, anything like misspelled or shortened words or weird/long acronyms...no way. It hurts my brain, and also makes me wish the person who uses such stuff would go through a nice, strict grammar class.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
i onlee typ liek dis wehn im sarcastically portraying n00bish behavior. XD I've actually found myself saying "lol" "OMG" "WTF" "XD" "PWND" and the like IRL, but I've never confused it with real English...I actually have some friends that used chatspeak in a major essay unwittingly. XD

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
All my RL friends use it on MSN, and it annoys me so much! But I'm not going to wipe it all out or anything... if they want to type like that, then I can't stop them or anything... unfortunately XD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
I hate it with a vengeance, but I'll still use it when I'm being ironic. OMGLOLZ.

Nine

Kirby + Pineapples = Love
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 11, 2007
I'll say lol, wtf, etc, but words like "u", "r", etc, piss me off, really, how hard is it to type two extra letters?

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
Years
I hate it greatly,I try to use the best grammar possible and if you do,it does help you spell better for school as well^^ the people who type those chat words..well,they are really lazy and they probably have bad spelling anyways >>

Years
it's okay if used in little bits. Sometimes people feel lazy, and they just want to make things easier for them. if used in a little bit, it's okay with me. After a few, however, I don't like it as much. it just makes it hard to read. :/
And if I understand it. If I don't get it, I tend not to like it. xD

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
I dislike it, but I respect that other people don't type as fast as me, or spend as much time as me on the net, so shorten that.
However, when people use it as a trend, I really hate it. It's not laziness, a disability, bad spelling and punctuation, etc. It's a stupid way to try and look cool and like a net junkie when all it does is make you look illiterate. @_@
Something my younger cousin said to me two days ago:
"Hey, have you got MSN Messenger?"
Bro: "Yeah, on both comps."
"Got an addy?"
Me: "No." [I lied. =x No one offline knows I have MSN, etc.]
So we got into a discussion 'bout the interactive communication side of the Internet.
Cousin: "Well you just HAVE to type in chatspeak to look cool."

That really ticked me off, but I was polite about it. x.x I just nodded and said people I'd seen post on forums mostly spoke in proper English. x_x

But chatspeak is annoying, and it's not so easy to decipher some of it. >< It also looks... stupid! X3

I take pleasure in reading and typing in proper English. [Well, my English isn't proper 'cause I leave out punctuation and put in too many smilies on purpose, but I can actually speak proper English and I'm actually quite good at it. @_@ Excuse the puffery. XP] It looks so beautiful, like an art form, to see words flowing out neatly, legibly, onto the screen...
*goes into a crazy rant*

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
Chat Speak? Do you mean, wats ur name? OR something like that?
I dislike typing in that way too much. It's a bit irritating...
Although, I use: "btw", and "lol" a lot. I'l TRY restricting it to that. Unless, I'm too lazy too type. (Which happens "rarely"...)

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
Years
I'm totally in love with chatspeak. I love using it even though it makes me look like a n00b. It describes my excitement and it does get boring spelling words the same all the time. I get sick of proper English. I even speak like how I talk on the internet. For example, I'll tell my friend that Clair roxors me soxors. But people are used to it.
I think chatspeak can get annoying if it turns into 1337 talk. I have to translate it and all this other crap I dont have time to do.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. It makes someone look lazy and illiterate. Sadly, though, a lot of my friends and family (more like one cousin, actually) sometimes get on my case about using proper grammar all the time. o_O; They think it takes too long, but really, it's easier once you get the hang of it. For me, it takes too long to try typing in internet slang/chatspeak/whatever you want to call it. It takes too long for my mind to think of the best way to condense something.

I do, however, use some acronyms like "lol," "wtf," etc. I don't use those because I'm too lazy to type out the full expression, but I think of them more as a word all their own. For example, with "rofl," I'd never actually type "rolling on floor laughing" or anything like that. It's like a word that means "that's funny" to me. o_O; Same with lol, wtf, omg, etc. I don't really mean exactly what the acronym says, but just the sort of thing it implies. (Like "omg!" sounds a bit spazzy, random, or excited, so I use it in those situations. :O)

liek w00t im kool cuz i talk lyk dis all da time haha loooool *gags*

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
It annoys me abit, but I can hack some sutff like 'kwl' and 'u', but when your talking like, 'Omg lk @ ur her' it doesn't make sence, but
im cool with it, I've never used it much though.

Back