• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about chatspeak?

Lucid

it seems to make people look less intellegent then they already are, n00bs use it, and it should be banned, I find it almost as annoying as leet. ><

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I don't like it at all. It's awful and I hate it. It doesn't make the user look intelligent at all. I prefer proper grammar and spelling of course. However, I do use a few abbreviations. But nothing major. Usually just to demote any seriousness that might be unintentionally conveyed through the message (I use "Lol" to do that a lot). I use some smilies too, but I don't count those as chat lingo. I use OMG! occasionally. It's usually when a new Zelda trailer has come out and I'm spazzy and running throughout the house.

Grade 8, when I first got my computer all my "friends" would complain that I was typing the way I was. They would try to convince me that it was wrong and it was somehow a very serious offence in their eyes.

Proper grammar and spelling (or attempting to do so anyway) conquers all. Abbreviations to demote seriousness or attempt at portraying an emotion, as do smilies when I use them.

Draik

Hi.
    Years
  • Lightning said:
    I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. It makes someone look lazy and illiterate. Sadly, though, a lot of my friends and family (more like one cousin, actually) sometimes get on my case about using proper grammar all the time. o_O; They think it takes too long, but really, it's easier once you get the hang of it. For me, it takes too long to try typing in internet slang/chatspeak/whatever you want to call it. It takes too long for my mind to think of the best way to condense something.

I do, however, use some acronyms like "lol," "wtf," etc. I don't use those because I'm too lazy to type out the full expression, but I think of them more as a word all their own. For example, with "rofl," I'd never actually type "rolling on floor laughing" or anything like that. It's like a word that means "that's funny" to me. o_O; Same with lol, wtf, omg, etc. I don't really mean exactly what the acronym says, but just the sort of thing it implies. (Like "omg!" sounds a bit spazzy, random, or excited, so I use it in those situations. :O)

liek w00t im kool cuz i talk lyk dis all da time haha loooool *gags*

Read the quote.
    I loath it.
    People are like:
    r u redy 4 skool,
    lol, u r a funny person XD
    i am da koolist person.

So annoying!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 23, 2009
    I think it's very creative as long as it's not over done. I always take some time to write something to make it sound perfect to me but it was rare for me add that chat speak but still it can look really good as long as it's not over done like I said. (I might be just weird taking a long time to type.) :D

Shana

bigmouth strikes again.
    Years
  • A little bit is alright, but it kinda gets on my nerves. It makes you look st00pid. XD

Trikip

Can you Handel this?
    Years
  • It's really annoying, although I don't mind a "lol" now and then.

Kecleon_

Spriter
    Years
  • I hate chatspeak. The little things like an "lol" every now and then is fine, but excessive chatspeak is horrible. I hardly ever use "lol" though, I leave that work to the emoticons. I feel that if you can't take the time to fully type out what you want to say, then it's not worth taking the time to read.

Some people I know at school use chatspeak, and they say that now they even write on homework and other school things with chatspeak. All I can do is laugh at their misfortune.

I use a little bit of chatspeak when chatting on MSN, but only if the other person is doing it too. My typing style basically matches whomever I'm talking to on MSN. :p

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I might let out an LOL or an OMG every now and then on MSN, but I usually use proper grammar. When I have people IM me with crap such as: "Liek OMG u r t3h suxxorz!!!111oneoneshiftelevenone1", I absolutely...
    *Grinch impression*
    Loathe entirely... :P

Last edited:

Esai

&#9829;&#9829;&#9829; With Bubbleicious &#9829;&#9
    Years
  • It depends, mostly i use english, some times on MSN i use chatspeak, but thats not often... Normally its full-stops at the end that i forget XD

Oh and my phone has predictive text so i use proper english, its quicker XD

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • It is 100% annoying. ><; Sweeties, I'm not easily annoyed, but come on,
    "asl?"
    "r u hawt?!"
    "i no u r a grl!"
    is just annoying. Short hand like "brb" or "lol" is perfectly find with me, but using chatspeak for words like "ur" "u" "r" "4" and use "no" inplace of "know" is just plain annoying, and pretty much shows your level of intelligence. >>
    I'll understand if you're in a hurry and need to use chatspeak, I'm find with that.
    I use chatspeak stuff like "w00t" "pwnz" "pwnage" once in awhile, but 90% of the time, I type like this.
    Don't make me get started on typing everything in all caps. ><;

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Congrats, 'tis poll of the week!

*STICKY*

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    I use chatspeak myself, but I try my best not to overuse it. Excesive chatspeak on the other hand is increadibly annoying and sometimes hard to understand...

Back