• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weavile Guide

The Next Pokemon To Get An Article

• Gardevoir

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Gengar

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Braixen

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Lucario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Machamp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    Today, I will do a guide on
    Weavile Guide

Just as I did with Blaziken, I will write a guide based on my week's worth of experience with him. Having said that, there will be some moves and strategies that I might leave out, since either I personally don't use them, or I don't know them. Let's Begin.

General:
    Weavile is a Speed-type character, meaning he goes fast, obviously. While in battle, you want to take advantage of that speed, as it just might give you an edge against your opponent. But sometimes his quick moves won't be enough- as a Weavile main- you have to be clever. You have to be cunning. Be creative with your takedowns. His 540 HP is kinda mediocre, if careless, Power characters and combo characters can easily take HUGE amounts of health off in a matter of seconds.

Field Phase: his field game is fairly weak, if not a bit predictable. In big stages like Phos Volcano, I aim for a quick rush down tactic. but for stages such as Ferrum Stadium and Neos City, his field set-ups become much more viable.

His side-Y is pretty much his most useful, if not arguably his only useful, field move. He throws three ice mines which, when stepped on, can freeze an opponent in place; in Burst Mode, I think he throws five or six of them. It can be linked into another Y attack for an instant phase shift if it connects. If you hold down the Y button, he'll throw them even farther.

His aerial-Y is one of my least favorite of his moves; he throws an ice ball- that's it. It barely has any range- if the opponent is close enough for it to actually hit, it's more optimal to just go for a counter.

Agility is a fun way to avoid projectiles, allowing him to slip within close proximity of the opponent for a quick homing attack. And while you're still in the Agility animation you can hit a string of X or A buttons for him to do a Fury Swipes. His forward and back-Y are also good surprise approach tactics.

Duel Phase: I like doing most of his fighting during Duel Phase.

First off let's talk about his Icicle Crash. As you jump, you can press A for him to create a makeshift platform of ice. This has many applications afterward: you can sit there until the move naturally expires; press forward on the d-pad for him to kick it at the opponent; pressing backward lets him jump straight to the opponent, allowing you to link with an aerial move of your choice if you choose to; or you can press X to perform Signal Beam, destroying the platform on the spot. What practical use does Signal Beam have? At first I thought it was just useless, outside of straight-up trolling your opponent. But no, according to Serebii, doing this actually helps gain support gauge.

Little known fact that nobody seems to know: while in Burst Mode, he can perform Icicle Crash twice, regardless of phase.

His Knock off attack is a great way to not only gain some synergy, but also knock some of your opponents' off. It's also a good anti-air move, as the arc of the attack can catch them. You can also use it as an approach, though I don't know whether it's safe or not.

I rarely connect his Ice Punch move, so I can't really say so much about it. Though, you can link with a second attack, and it's chargeable, too.

He can still use Agility in Duel Phase, allowing him to close off large spaces between him and the other fighter in a matter of seconds; then, he can also use Fury Swipes, which I'm too lazy to use.

His Night Slash is one of my favorite moves in his arsenal. As he strikes, he jumps back, which is good for avoiding opponent's in the middle of performing a Pokecombo or counter. The longer you hold down the A, the longer he waits. It throws the opponent in the air, in which I like to do a Pokecombo. You can also cancel it for distancing when you need it.

Taunt is just insane: the Taunt itself deals 0 damage, however it weakens their Synergy Burst on impact. Afterwards he'll immediately go into a Night Slash, which according to Serebii, deals 121 damage when it connects. What does normal Night Slash deal? 92 damage. It's pure gold spamming this against newbies who only know how to attack all the time- I've done it more than I actually needed to, those poor souls.

Pokemon with high HP, and those with projectiles will give Weavile a bad time. Machamp is the worst of my matchups, since most of what I do to him is chip damage compared to the huge amounts of damage he can deal to he in an instant. Chandelure and Suicune can also cause problems if you're not careful enough, since they can keep Weavile at a safe distance away from them, and "away" is not Weavile's most favorite position to be in.

Burst Mode:

His Synergy Gauge fills fast and depletes fast; good Weaviles Burst at least twice a round. His Burst Attack requires him to be very close to the opponent, but will deal 166 damage. Since its animation has him jumping vertically, you can catch airbound opponents with it.

Support:

So far, Emolga/Fennekin is my favorite set to use with him. Both Pokemon can potentially combo into a Knock Off, which I have used to win a handful of my games. Croagunk/Sylveon can give you some needed Defense manipulation, and Cubone/Diglett is just an all-around fun set to use. Pachirisu can help against zoners, and Magicarp is just so fun to drop on someone.

Conclusion:

Weavile requires some time to learn, but once you get the basic gist, you can give your opponent a bad time. As I've mentioned, since he has low HP he can only take so many hits, so at least spend a good amount of time using your counters; he likes his counters.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    So guys, here's the thing: since I'm not all that good with Gardevoir (or any technical character for that matter) I'm gonna have to go about a month of maining instead my usual two weeks. That, and I haven't recently been playing, so I might be a little rusty.

I'm open to friendlies if anyone wants to help.

Years
  • How's it going with Gardevoir? Don't know how much help I'd be but I'm up for some Friendlies!

How different do you have to approach playing a Technical character?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    How's it going with Gardevoir? Don't know how much help I'd be but I'm up for some Friendlies!

How different do you have to approach playing a Technical character?

Oh, sorry I didn't notice this reply sooner, my account didn't notify me of it. Saddly, I haven't even gone around to playing this month, with work getting in the way of my free time. But count on it, I'm doing Gardevoir, just not this month.

As for your question: playing the first few times with Gardevoir, she felt really strange to me. Being more of an aggro player myself, that comes as no surprise. Her spacings and projectile game is good, but once someone gets in close she panics, and I'm a player who WANTS to get in close. I've had some success going for an Aggrovoir build, but it feels inconsistent and out of place for her general playstyle.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    Okay so guys Im sorry to say this but: I think I have lost interest in the game for the time being. I am focused on too many things atm that I dont really want to play.

Back