Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

TrollandToad.com

Old July 8th, 2016 (7:25 PM). Edited July 10th, 2016 by GoGoJJTech.
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
GoGoJJTech's Palette Converter

Hello all, I have a simple, useful and straight-forward palette converter. All you have to do is drag and drop your palette file(s), configure them, then have them exported. Takes about 1 second on average to do

Palette files you can convert are:
  1. Irfanview
  2. Advance Map 1.92
  3. Advance Map 1.95
  4. GIMP
  5. Adobe Palette Table (ACT)
  6. RIFF Format (VBA/TileMolester Alternate)

You can convert to/from each of these. That's about all there is to it. The tool supports the maximum pal sizes each format has to offer as well.

Head to http://www.gogojjtech.com/tools/ to pick up the download. Not tested on MAC or Linux since I don't have those.

Questions:
  1. What do I need for this to work? You need the .NET 2.0 Framework or above and any of the above palette file types
  2. Does this work outside of Windows computers? ~ http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9315257&postcount=10
  3. Can this be run on the console? Yes, do "PaletteConverter thingy1.pal thingy2.pal thingy3.pal"
  4. Will you add APE support? ~ I have no clue how that format works since it's not in an easy-to-understand..format. Hackmew outdid himself there
  5. Why are you so awesome? ~ Long story
  6. Can I suggest extra formats or features? ~ Yes, of course, but I'll need sample palettes
  7. Can I drag/drop multiple palettes at once? ~ Yes, but you need to sit and configure each one-by-one. IDK how I'd make this 100% automatic really

Support me at my site!
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 9th, 2016 (7:11 AM).
Pokémon Fuchsia
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
It's a great idea, but hasn't this tool already been created? Not to mention it has support for APE :/
Old July 9th, 2016 (10:24 AM).
  • Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokéMew View Post
It's a great idea, but hasn't this tool already been created? Not to mention it has support for APE :/
Something has been created similarly to this before, but it was Windows-only, didn't support AMap 1.95, and the owner ignored me when I asked questions about source code so I could add it. So here I have this, where I kindly will answer my followers.

Support me at my site!
Old July 9th, 2016 (6:01 PM).
Pokémon Fuchsia
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoJJTech View Post
Something has been created similarly to this before, but it was Windows-only, didn't support AMap 1.95, and the owner ignored me when I asked questions about source code so I could add it. So here I have this, where I kindly will answer my followers.
I see. How unfortunate that he didn't respond to you, as the APE fuction works well. I'm sure you'll figure it out in the future though.
Old July 9th, 2016 (6:03 PM).
  • Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokéMew View Post
I see. How unfortunate that he didn't respond to you, as the APE fuction works well. I'm sure you'll figure it out in the future though.
It's just a file with text that represents the GBA colors, but I have no idea:
1: Why there are negative values
2: What the negative values are
3: How to change those negative into regular ones

It's almost as if Hackmew wanted to keep literally everything he did a secret for no reason.

Support me at my site!
Old July 9th, 2016 (6:39 PM).
blu rass

Nature: Timid
    y-you mean i don't have to copy the rgb values of every color from tool-to-tool anymore?
    w-what will i ever do with all of this free time?
    i'm totally unaware of anything like this ever having existed ever btw but apparently something has so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nice tool, i see myself using this a lot in the future lol
    Old July 10th, 2016 (6:45 AM).
    • Gold Tier

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BluRose View Post
    y-you mean i don't have to copy the rgb values of every color from tool-to-tool anymore?
    w-what will i ever do with all of this free time?
    i'm totally unaware of anything like this ever having existed ever btw but apparently something has so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nice tool, i see myself using this a lot in the future lol

If there are any issues or suggestions, just let me know

Support me at my site!
    Old July 10th, 2016 (11:12 AM).
    ASM is very cool!

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      I haven't received any message from you so that's not fair from your side... But anyways let's go to the point.
      Quote:
      Will you add APE support? ~ I have no clue how that format works since it's not in an easy-to-understand..format. Hackmew outdid himself there.
      I'm surprised because APE format is very easy to understand. I can't provide you with the source code because I formatted the HDD and forgot to copy the files.
      Here's the algorithm for APE as an output (I'll use FFFFFF color as an example):

Spoiler:
      1. Reduce your hex color to 15-bit: FFFFFF --> 7FFF.
      2. Swap the first 2 bytes with the last (little endian): 7FFF --> FF7F.
      3. Convert the result to DEC: FF7F --> 65 407.

The output is simply signed short int with two's complement signed number representation. You can read about it here.

4. So if your number is greater than 32 767 then you have to subtract 216 = 65 536 (ex. 65407 - 65536 = -129). If it's less or equal to 32767 then you leave it as it is.
      5. Of course in the APE file there are only 16 colors and 240 zeros but that's not hard to figure out.

If you want to convert APE as an input then you just do everything backwards
      Old July 10th, 2016 (11:16 AM).
      • Gold Tier

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Rasenshurikenbum View Post
      I haven't received any message from you so that's not fair from your side... But anyways let's go to the point.

I'm surprised because APE format is very easy to understand. I can't provide you with the source code because I formatted the HDD and forgot to copy the files.
      Here's the algorithm for APE as an output (I'll use FFFFFF color as an example):

Spoiler:
      1. Reduce your hex color to 15-bit: FFFFFF --> 7FFF.
      2. Swap the first 2 bytes with the last (little endian): 7FFF --> FF7F.
      3. Convert the result to DEC: FF7F --> 65 407.

The output is simply signed short int with two's complement signed number representation. You can read about it here.

4. So if your number is greater than 32 767 then you have to subtract 216 = 65 536 (ex. 65407 - 65536 = -129). If it's less or equal to 32767 then you leave it as it is.
      5. Of course in the APE file there are only 16 colors and 240 zeros but that's not hard to figure out.

If you want to convert APE as an input then you just do everything backwards
      http://www.pokecommunity.com/converse.php?u=266488&u2=354635

Thanks
      why couldn't hackmew just put the values in normally instead of making it all stupid and complex, surely just writing it to the file is easier than doing this stuff

Support me at my site!
      Old July 10th, 2016 (3:18 PM). Edited July 10th, 2016 by Dark Zeta.
      That guy you don't know yet

Nature: Lax
        Quote:
        Does this work outside of Windows computers? ~ I don't know, but it should?
        The answer to this question is yes. I have tested GoGo's converter on both Linux and OS X. I can confirm that it will work on both of them. You need either Wine or Mono in order for it to work though. (I highly suggest using Mono because Wine seems to freeze the terminal which is needed to run this on either Linux or OS X).

Quote:
        Can this be run on the console? Yes, do "PaletteConverter thingy1.pal thingy2.pal thingy3.pal"
        This is necessary to run on Linux or OS X because "Drag and Drop" will not work. I will list the instruction I find to be the simplest in order to run this on either OS below.
        1. Move the PaletteConverter.exe and whatever palette files you want to convert to the same folder.
        2. Open said folder in a terminal.
        3. Run this command in said terminal: mono PaletteConverter.exe thingy1.pal thingy2.pal thingy3.pal
        Note: "wine PaletteConverter.exe thingy1.pal thingy2.pal thingy3.pal" will work, but the terminal will freeze for whatever reason. I highly suggest you use Mono for this as it is faster anyways.

Twitter

Quick Reply