• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga 10 Weeks of Anime Week 2 - What's With That?! I Don't Get It!

Years
  • What's With That?! I Don't Get It!

Is there an anime series that you just don't get why it's popular? What is it? Why did it not appeal to you? Do you have ideas as to why you think this series is popular? Convince us it's garbage!

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Love Live! is one, but I have to admit it's something I have never given a chance because I never played the game. I can't convince you something is garbage without even knowing what the show is about though. :P

I don't know exactly how popular it is now, but I can't even get behind the fact that Boruto has fans. The ending of Naruto was godawful, chapter 700 being some kind of asspulled bullshit for the sake of continuing the story and cowmilking the franchise, even though Kishimoto initially said he wanted to finish it right there. And what is Boruto? Basically a second coming of Part 1: Bolt is a nutjob, has suppressed anger, parents as nonexistent as alive parents could be so he has a sob story. But on top of that, 700 chapters of Naruto did the world no good and the worldbuilding is now fucked as whatever; none of the powers or characters really hold a status anymore because there was always some bigger power or some bigger threat. It's an empty shell and I fucking hate it.

No one was spared for the stupid world of Naruto Gaiden and Boruto. Naruto a deadbeat dad? Can't fucking buy that shit. Sasuke has a wife and child but doesn't even live with them? What is this bullshit? Fucking pity party to give a story to the new era characters, because there is nothing else to be told about the story. Maybe except for the glaring plot holes and blatant brushing over these things - but who cares about that?

With the way the story ended and the post-story now, this shit deserves to be burned to the ground. I have never been more enraged about a story finale, and this is coming from an ex-fan who had seen Naruto decrease in quality, but never expected it to reach this low. What a disaster.

pkmin3033

Oh goodie, an excuse to rant about Madoka! You knew I was going to do this

People like this show because they've never watched an actual magical girl show before, or their experience with said shows is limited entirely to Sailor Moon. Magical girls are not as popular as they were in the days of Sailor Moon, and most series that would fit into this genre - of which I would say Madoka is NOT one, any more so than Kill la Kill - fly under the radar. Precure is still going strong in Japan as a merch-selling machine, but in the West at least its very niche, with HeartCatch several years behind us and 90% of the "fans" who came into the show with HeartCatch unwilling to try another season beyond that, solely because its not HeartCatch.

People also like dark and edgy things for some stupid reason I haven't been able to figure out yet. They delight in the suffering of characters because reasons. If its dramatic, who gives a shit whether it's good quality or not. There are also some very big names attached to its production which mean it must be good, because these people are gods of the media and can do no wrong. Because because because.

People also have no idea of what a "deconstruction" actually is, other than that it sounds big and impressive and special and different, and they like to feel that they like different things, and have objectively superior taste in some way. Despite the fact that Madoka is not a deconstruction, playing straight every single trope from the magical girl genre it takes, and just twisting its premise slightly to be grimmer than one would expect from a show of that genre...if you haven't watched many magical girl anime, anyway. For a proper deconstruction of the genre, and one that uses its darker moments to fuel character development - that actually does what fans of Madoka mistakenly claim it does - refer to Princess Tutu. For a mind screw with actual meaning to its flashy imagery - although good luck figuring it out - refer to Revolutionary Girl Utena. For a better example of a shorter magical girl show that plays with convention slightly in its premise but plays its tropes straight in the same fashion, watch Yuki Yuna. Madoka is a very, VERY small, depressingly miserable ripple in a pond far bigger than its fans like to think, and not even a very good example of anything it tries to do.

So, why is Madoka garbage? For one, there is zero character development. The "plot" of the show is driven by shock moments that the characters and the viewer have absolutely no time to process. Yes, these are plot twists you would not necessarily see coming, but this is NOT good storytelling by itself. Any idiot can kill a character off in a show.

A truly skilled writer will take such a scene and show how it affects the characters - how each one reacts, how they cope, and how they move on - IF they move on. This is not something that Urobutcher has EVER done, across any of his shows. Madoka does not put enough time into any of its cast for us to really get a sense of their personalities - relying on the fandom to fill in the gaps, as fandom often does, with idiotic things like shipping - and the ultimate end to the show is an anticlimax. Everything is simply wiped away. That's it.

It's such a bizarre, gutless u-turn that it's no small wonder that fans cried havoc over Rebellion, which was ironically far more in-keeping with the mindless suffering the entire show embodied. It makes no sense. There is no build-up to it, or indication that it will happen, or even a sense of resolution after the fact. It just happens. Like everything else in the show just happens. Why? Because Urobutcher thinks that if a scene is shocking enough it will justify itself. That mindless suffering and slaughter equates to good character development. IT DOES NOT. It is a trigger for development. In Madoka, that never materialises. Not once.

That is ultimately what Madoka is - mindless suffering. Nothing more. Complete and utter garbage. End of story.

Years
  • Love Live! is one, but I have to admit it's something I have never given a chance because I never played the game. I can't convince you something is garbage without even knowing what the show is about though. :P

With regards to Love Live!, you legit don't have to play the game to watch the anime because the game and anime exist as standalone parts of the franchise. And sometimes they have different canons between them even if the character's personalities are generally similar between the two.

I don't know exactly how popular it is now, but I can't even get behind the fact that Boruto has fans. The ending of Naruto was godawful, chapter 700 being some kind of asspulled bullshit for the sake of continuing the story and cowmilking the franchise, even though Kishimoto initially said he wanted to finish it right there. And what is Boruto? Basically a second coming of Part 1: Bolt is a nutjob, has suppressed anger, parents as nonexistent as alive parents could be so he has a sob story. But on top of that, 700 chapters of Naruto did the world no good and the worldbuilding is now fucked as whatever; none of the powers or characters really hold a status anymore because there was always some bigger power or some bigger threat. It's an empty shell and I fucking hate it.

No one was spared for the stupid world of Naruto Gaiden and Boruto. Naruto a deadbeat dad? Can't fucking buy that shit. Sasuke has a wife and child but doesn't even live with them? What is this bullshit? Fucking pity party to give a story to the new era characters, because there is nothing else to be told about the story. Maybe except for the glaring plot holes and blatant brushing over these things - but who cares about that?

With the way the story ended and the post-story now, this shit deserves to be burned to the ground. I have never been more enraged about a story finale, and this is coming from an ex-fan who had seen Naruto decrease in quality, but never expected it to reach this low. What a disaster.

I really can't argue with these points at all as it certainly feels like, as largely an outsider and a latecomer to Naruto, the publisher is giving long-time fans of the series who are still around a story that is basically fanservice, and I don't mean raunchy art and such, I mean it panders to those who want more stories set in this universe, and then the author pulling some lazy writing tactics to top it all off.

Oh goodie, an excuse to rant about Madoka! You knew I was going to do this

People like this show because they've never watched an actual magical girl show before, or their experience with said shows is limited entirely to Sailor Moon. Magical girls are not as popular as they were in the days of Sailor Moon, and most series that would fit into this genre - of which I would say Madoka is NOT one, any more so than Kill la Kill - fly under the radar. Precure is still going strong in Japan as a merch-selling machine, but in the West at least its very niche, with HeartCatch several years behind us and 90% of the "fans" who came into the show with HeartCatch unwilling to try another season beyond that, solely because its not HeartCatch.

People also like dark and edgy things for some stupid reason I haven't been able to figure out yet. They delight in the suffering of characters because reasons. If its dramatic, who gives a shit whether it's good quality or not. There are also some very big names attached to its production which mean it must be good, because these people are gods of the media and can do no wrong. Because because because.

People also have no idea of what a "deconstruction" actually is, other than that it sounds big and impressive and special and different, and they like to feel that they like different things, and have objectively superior taste in some way. Despite the fact that Madoka is not a deconstruction, playing straight every single trope from the magical girl genre it takes, and just twisting its premise slightly to be grimmer than one would expect from a show of that genre...if you haven't watched many magical girl anime, anyway. For a proper deconstruction of the genre, and one that uses its darker moments to fuel character development - that actually does what fans of Madoka mistakenly claim it does - refer to Princess Tutu. For a mind screw with actual meaning to its flashy imagery - although good luck figuring it out - refer to Revolutionary Girl Utena. For a better example of a shorter magical girl show that plays with convention slightly in its premise but plays its tropes straight in the same fashion, watch Yuki Yuna. Madoka is a very, VERY small, depressingly miserable ripple in a pond far bigger than its fans like to think, and not even a very good example of anything it tries to do.

So, why is Madoka garbage? For one, there is zero character development. The "plot" of the show is driven by shock moments that the characters and the viewer have absolutely no time to process. Yes, these are plot twists you would not necessarily see coming, but this is NOT good storytelling by itself. Any idiot can kill a character off in a show.

A truly skilled writer will take such a scene and show how it affects the characters - how each one reacts, how they cope, and how they move on - IF they move on. This is not something that Urobutcher has EVER done, across any of his shows. Madoka does not put enough time into any of its cast for us to really get a sense of their personalities - relying on the fandom to fill in the gaps, as fandom often does, with idiotic things like shipping - and the ultimate end to the show is an anticlimax. Everything is simply wiped away. That's it.

It's such a bizarre, gutless u-turn that it's no small wonder that fans cried havoc over Rebellion, which was ironically far more in-keeping with the mindless suffering the entire show embodied. It makes no sense. There is no build-up to it, or indication that it will happen, or even a sense of resolution after the fact. It just happens. Like everything else in the show just happens. Why? Because Urobutcher thinks that if a scene is shocking enough it will justify itself. That mindless suffering and slaughter equates to good character development. IT DOES NOT. It is a trigger for development. In Madoka, that never materialises. Not once.

That is ultimately what Madoka is - mindless suffering. Nothing more. Complete and utter garbage. End of story.

I want to do this justice with a worthwhile reply but I legit have no rebuttal other than "shipping is a hell of a lot of fun if you don't get too attached to your ships to the point that you Stan them".

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Eotenas.

That anime is so bad I even read manga... And it was even worse. I still can't comprehend how could it still be popular.
    Eren is one of the most annoying protagonists ever, the plot is trying so hard to be branched only to never finish the subplots.
    No, it's just bad. The only enjoyable thing was Commie subbing the S1.

Years
  • I don't know exactly how popular it is now, but I can't even get behind the fact that Boruto has fans. The ending of Naruto was godawful, chapter 700 being some kind of asspulled bullshit for the sake of continuing the story and cowmilking the franchise, even though Kishimoto initially said he wanted to finish it right there. And what is Boruto? Basically a second coming of Part 1: Bolt is a nutjob, has suppressed anger, parents as nonexistent as alive parents could be so he has a sob story. But on top of that, 700 chapters of Naruto did the world no good and the worldbuilding is now fucked as whatever; none of the powers or characters really hold a status anymore because there was always some bigger power or some bigger threat. It's an empty shell and I fucking hate it.

I like Boruto quite a bit. It's not a full renaissance of when Naruto was at it's peak in part 1 but it's far more fun than Naruto has been for quite a few years. Until this edgy Kawaki guy shows up it'll stay fun. It's like a ninja detective show with a part 1 cast.

Don't think he's a nutjob. The parent drama has been pretty hamfisted but in Boruto and Naruto's case it's not been too unrealistic imo. Naruto was there for them nearly full time one minute and then he was busy, of course the kid would be angry.

Naruto clearly isn't a deadbeat, as I've said he's newly busy (cakegate was a bit much, funny though). Sakura has been treated harshly by Pierrot, I will admit that. 2.5 minutes of 'romance' and then Sasuke buggered off. Always knew the studio didn't like Sakura.

As for the world I don't mind what they've done. You have to read the novels really to see a full picture here as the anime hasn't done a particularly good job of linking them.

It was pretty obvious in part 2 that Kishimoto had changed. Early on in the story I was expecting a grand ending where Jesus Naruto dies and the world is changed. In part 2 it was clearly going the way building for a new generation, presumably Kishimoto having kids himself changed this.

Back