• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga 10 Weeks of Anime Week 3 - Why Is This Not Popular?

Years
  • "Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong."
    - Principal Skinner

Why Is This Not Popular?

Is there an anime series that you quite like that it seems like no one else does? Why do you think it's not popular? What do you like about it? Convince us it's actually worth watching!

pkmin3033

I know why this isn't popular. Firstly, because too many people follow the stupid three-episode rule, and if I'm honest the first 3 episodes of Cross Ange are absolute garbage. I love this show to pieces, and even I hate how it starts. They're senseless, mindless violence bordering on (and occasionally crossing to) outright rape, psychological abuse of the worst degree, and a general mean-spiritedness that makes Urobutcher's treatment of his characters look like a kid's show. There's racism, and sexualisation of minors, rape and psychological abuse, senseless death, and this undercurrent of cruel delight and an almost complete lack of culpability in the perpetrators of this. It's pretty distasteful. The persecution of Norma goes a little further than the persecution of minority groups that society at large likes to pretend doesn't happen and/or is completely unaware of, and it's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way...which I suppose is fair enough, although I think taking any show seriously to the point of offense is ridiculous. But whatever.

Those trashy episodes turn out to be entirely necessary, because what follows on from that is unspeakably brilliant. It's a pretty heavy setup to radical change that really stands out because of it. Ange is one of the most down-to-earth, believable protagonists in any anime, ever. She's coldly logical. She cheats. She cuts straight through the crap when she runs out of patience. She stands up for herself and her right to live in a way that's inspiring in context. She gives absolutely no fucks after she's treated like garbage, so there is none of this sanctimonious "forgive and forget" rubbish you see in so many preachy anime these days. She calls the plot out on its bullshit and fights back with her own bullshit - and it works. The show is called "Cross Ange" literally because she's cross for the entire thing, and she has damn good reason to be. Despite being a pampered, spoiled brat for the first part of the show, she changes and grows from that. She doesn't sit in a corner and cry, or refuse to change, or go on a mindless killing spree (despite being tempted to do just that and having more than sufficient cause) and she doesn't accept the status quo. She defines herself as she is and forces the world to change with her. It's inspirational, and considering how detestible she is at the start of the show, and what she's put through, astounding.

In any other anime she'd be a terrible character, and she starts out as one. But you see her being systematically, cruelly broken down, and then built back up again. Ange gets unimaginable shit thrown at her and, rather than give in to it and accept her lot in life - or act out like the spoiled princess she begins as - she fights it and she changes to become, if not a better person, then definitely a stronger one. The ending to this show is one of the most heartwarming I've seen in a long time. Ange is, simply put, brilliant character development personified. If every anime protagonist was like Ange, there would be a lot less complaining about cookie-cutter protagonists, tropes, and all the rest.

Not only that, but the rest of the cast is equally likeable - despite more than one of them being generally detestible - as they each have their own flaws which they have to overcome...or that get worse before they get better. Cross Ange is a show that pays a surprising amount of care and attention to its cast, and more than a little attention is given to them. They all have their own dreams and motivations, and they're pretty well-founded.

I also think a lot of people who watched the show all the way through didn't like it because it only has three men in its cast, and none of them are particularly flattering. One is basically a more useless version of Kira Yamato from Gundam Seed and takes the love interest role that would be normally reserved for a woman, one is Clovis from Code Geass, and the last is Milliardo Peacecraft disguised as a very nasty jab at otakus. That he's the anime's central antagonist really does not help matters. I think he pissed more than a few people off, because he plays on some stereotypes I think most would prefer not to think about. Too relatable for his own good.

Also, Akiko Shikata does the soundtrack. If that means nothing to you, then I don't know what to say to you. Mizuki Nana does a few songs too?

The plot is no worse than any other Sunrise show. It's certainly no worse than Code Geass...and it has much better characterisation than Code Geass, too. If you can get over a pretty horrid start, you'll find some fantastic characterisation here, even if the plot is a phenomenal trainwreck and at times the fanservice can be a little over the top...usually to make a point about how society treats certain types of people, and because anime. Chances are it'll offend you at some point. But it's worth a watch for Ange alone.

I could go on and on about how brilliant this show is and how wrong you have to be to hate it. You either didn't watch it far along enough or you took it too personally. If anime is serious business to you than this is definitely not a show to watch. But it's a damn good ride if you just have fun with it...and, if you have to take it seriously, try looking for the positive messages in there. It's about changing the world when the world is out to get you, acknowledging your own part and changing yourself for the better, never giving up, learning who you can rely on and who you can't, and so on. It's a very uplifting show.

Years
  • I suppose I should try my hand at a write-up on this. It's gonna be a bit on the small side, though. And I'm gonna have a hard time picking a series.

Hmm... too popular, popular, can't defend it against the issues, too popular, too popular, too popular, can't defend it...

Okay, so we're going to go way down the list. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou. Let's get started.

So, this is a fun show with some great story, but it seems a little absurd at first and is a short. I like it because it's amusing, absurd, not terribly cliche in its humor sense, and goes out of its way to make up its own stories. The artstyle is not a selling point (you just have to get used to it), but the comedy and story are pretty great. It's also very self-aware, ahaha. Basically a novice is trying to find a way out of working at his family's tonkatsu shop and finds DJing and decides to try his hand at it. Conveniently enough, he has some natural talent for it, and then the absurd situational comedy and music pile on from there.

Okay that was a terrible job selling it but I legit suck at literary critiques unless I'm actively reading the story because I mentally file story events away into a corner of my brain where they won't be used again outside of being summed up in like 2 sentences.

Time for a Cross Ange rant.

I know why this isn't popular. Firstly, because too many people follow the stupid three-episode rule, and if I'm honest the first 3 episodes of Cross Ange are absolute garbage. I love this show to pieces, and even I hate how it starts. They're senseless, mindless violence bordering on (and occasionally crossing to) outright rape, psychological abuse of the worst degree, and a general mean-spiritedness that makes Urobutcher's treatment of his characters look like a kid's show. There's racism, and sexualisation of minors, rape and psychological abuse, senseless death, and this undercurrent of cruel delight and an almost complete lack of culpability in the perpetrators of this. It's pretty distasteful. The persecution of Norma goes a little further than the persecution of minority groups that society at large likes to pretend doesn't happen and/or is completely unaware of, and it's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way...which I suppose is fair enough, although I think taking any show seriously to the point of offense is ridiculous. But whatever.

Those trashy episodes turn out to be entirely necessary, because what follows on from that is unspeakably brilliant. It's a pretty heavy setup to radical change that really stands out because of it. Ange is one of the most down-to-earth, believable protagonists in any anime, ever. She's coldly logical. She cheats. She cuts straight through the crap when she runs out of patience. She stands up for herself and her right to live in a way that's inspiring in context. She gives absolutely no fucks after she's treated like garbage, so there is none of this sanctimonious "forgive and forget" rubbish you see in so many preachy anime these days. She calls the plot out on its bullshit and fights back with her own bullshit - and it works. The show is called "Cross Ange" literally because she's cross for the entire thing, and she has damn good reason to be. Despite being a pampered, spoiled brat for the first part of the show, she changes and grows from that. She doesn't sit in a corner and cry, or refuse to change, or go on a mindless killing spree (despite being tempted to do just that and having more than sufficient cause) and she doesn't accept the status quo. She defines herself as she is and forces the world to change with her. It's inspirational, and considering how detestible she is at the start of the show, and what she's put through, astounding.

In any other anime she'd be a terrible character, and she starts out as one. But you see her being systematically, cruelly broken down, and then built back up again. Ange gets unimaginable shit thrown at her and, rather than give in to it and accept her lot in life - or act out like the spoiled princess she begins as - she fights it and she changes to become, if not a better person, then definitely a stronger one. The ending to this show is one of the most heartwarming I've seen in a long time. Ange is, simply put, brilliant character development personified. If every anime protagonist was like Ange, there would be a lot less complaining about cookie-cutter protagonists, tropes, and all the rest.

Not only that, but the rest of the cast is equally likeable - despite more than one of them being generally detestible - as they each have their own flaws which they have to overcome...or that get worse before they get better. Cross Ange is a show that pays a surprising amount of care and attention to its cast, and more than a little attention is given to them. They all have their own dreams and motivations, and they're pretty well-founded.

I also think a lot of people who watched the show all the way through didn't like it because it only has three men in its cast, and none of them are particularly flattering. One is basically a more useless version of Kira Yamato from Gundam Seed and takes the love interest role that would be normally reserved for a woman, one is Clovis from Code Geass, and the last is Milliardo Peacecraft disguised as a very nasty jab at otakus. That he's the anime's central antagonist really does not help matters. I think he pissed more than a few people off, because he plays on some stereotypes I think most would prefer not to think about. Too relatable for his own good.

Also, Akiko Shikata does the soundtrack. If that means nothing to you, then I don't know what to say to you. Mizuki Nana does a few songs too?

The plot is no worse than any other Sunrise show. It's certainly no worse than Code Geass...and it has much better characterisation than Code Geass, too. If you can get over a pretty horrid start, you'll find some fantastic characterisation here, even if the plot is a phenomenal trainwreck and at times the fanservice can be a little over the top...usually to make a point about how society treats certain types of people, and because anime. Chances are it'll offend you at some point. But it's worth a watch for Ange alone.

I could go on and on about how brilliant this show is and how wrong you have to be to hate it. You either didn't watch it far along enough or you took it too personally. If anime is serious business to you than this is definitely not a show to watch. But it's a damn good ride if you just have fun with it...and, if you have to take it seriously, try looking for the positive messages in there. It's about changing the world when the world is out to get you, acknowledging your own part and changing yourself for the better, never giving up, learning who you can rely on and who you can't, and so on. It's a very uplifting show.

I can't even provide a substantial reply to this because I legit haven't even touched Cross Ange.

Back